From Bono himself

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Re: Re: From Bono himself

rihannsu said:

Notice that he totally avoided answering the "when" part of the question.

Dana

Yep :lol:

When do we get to hear this new sound!!!:drool: :drool:

special video here

h**p://www.u2place.com/newsdett.asp?idN=3147

h**p://it.youtube.com/watch?v=O4GDtmNMJLA

thanks for posting!

makes me wish I had a copy of the book.. (don't remember the name now).. who has read it? it was sold out last time i checked the store.. i probably should just order it online.

On another occasion not long ago (don't remember exactly which occasion) Bono clearly said: New album in 2008. I don't think he wants to give too much away. No matter what he says or how he says it, some people here will always attack him for it.
Btw, I found it hilarious that Brian Williams asked him about his haircut. :wink:

He spoke for barely a minute about the new sound, at the very end of the interview. New sound... Morocco... a whole new level... sounds like more hype. I'll believe it when I hear it! ;)

Don't believe Bono.

That's all.

Anyone still remember the "Punk rock on Venus" quote?

Yes. It had absolutely nothing to do with the album we got, because it wasn't about Bomb from 2004.
Of course, facts rarely mean much ...

Last edited:
Zootlesque said:
He spoke for barely a minute about the new sound, at the very end of the interview. New sound... Morocco... a whole new level... sounds like more hype. I'll believe it when I hear it! ;)

Of course he couldn't speak more about the new music, he hasn't been in the studio for a while now when he is giving all these speeches and accepting awards.

November 18th can't come soon enough...:grumpy:

In the mean time could someone talk to Larry about the progress?:D

Last edited:
It's funny how everyone is "we need news on the album", and when he does say something it's rolleyes time.

Much like all the "oh YEAH I support his cause, good on him" hype except any and every time he actually talks about it, 99% of the time the response is "I hate him meeting politicians" or "oh noez he is preaching at a U2 show" or "I'd prefer to see him talk more about the band". (except all this leads to is more complaining)

All I meant is going by the past, Bono is a lot of hot air. The end result is usually very different from all the hype the guy lays down on us. Deep down I hope the new album is as exciting as he makes it sound. But I will be skeptical till I hear something concrete. Because let's face it, this is Bono we're talking about.

U2girl said:
It's funny how everyone is "we need news on the album", and when he does say something it's rolleyes time.

It's not as if Bono ever gives us any real, tangible news on the album, though. The man's a hype machine. I can't think of a single time Bono provided information pre-HTDAAB that actually was genuinely reflective of the album and told us something we didn't already know. I'm not sure any of the band members really did. The real meat came from other sources, like journalists and others, people who used terms beyond positive hyperbole about the Edge being on fire and Bono writing the song he's always heard in his head.

Zootlesque said:
All I meant is going by the past, Bono is a lot of hot air.

"pop album" - ATYCLB

"guitar album" - Bomb

"chopping down JT" - AB

"dense album" - Pop

Sounds close enough to me :shrug:

Who else will you look at for music comments ? Larry and Adam rarely say anything, and all we've been getting from Edge is "we're getting lost in the music." He praised the songs on the last two albums a lot but apparently that's a no-no.

As for media and journalists, given all the various descriptions of Bomb I had no idea what we're getting.

Last edited:
U2girl said:

Much like all the "oh YEAH I support his cause, good on him" hype except any and every time he actually talks about it, 99% of the time the response is "I hate him meeting politicians" or "oh noez he is preaching at a U2 show" or "I'd prefer to see him talk more about the band". (except all this leads to is more complaining)

If this was directed to me I just want to say that I wasn't actually complaining.
I mean "It's a whole new sound a whole new feeling with our music.
And we're gonna take it to the next level." sounds really great and I can't remember being this excited about a new U2 record for quite some time,
not to mention the possibility of two new projects being released in the future.
I'm happy that he (and his bandmates) still feels like U2 can add something to the music scene of today despite being in the business for so long.
I was simply just saying that he has been away from the studio for a while and because of that perhaps he didn't know what he was supposed to say about the progress.

I appreciate his work, I really do as he's a truly inspiring person knowing what he's on about, but at the same time I have to say it's going to be great when he has finished his touring of America and finally gets the change to regroup with the rest of U2 and Eno/Lanois to produce some music.

U2girl said:

"pop album" - ATYCLB

"guitar album" - Bomb

"chopping down JT" - AB

"dense album" - Pop

Apart from the AB quote, those quotes could describe just about any U2 album. Pop sensibilities have always been present in U2's music, e.g. it's usually well structured and songs are a radio-friendly length. The guitar is usually the most prominent instrument, and it never truly took a back seat even on Zooropa and Pop. And most of U2's albums have more dense themes than your average rock album. The quotes tell us absolutely nothing about the actual content of the album or what we can expect. I mean, a guitar album? Shit, that could be just about every rock album ever recorded. It's hardly news.

As for media and journalists, given all the various descriptions of Bomb I had no idea what we're getting.

We still found out some interesting stuff. I mean, it was through journalists that we first learnt about things like COBL's extended intro. It was through fans that we learnt ideas such as AMAAW and Xanax And Wine were floating around. It was actually meaty info that had substance beyond "Edge is on fire".

Zootlesque said:
If Bomb is a guitar album, I want Slash to join U2. :wink:

It is. I'd even say Edge has been the only one creatively even trying anything on the last two albums. Slash can keep his mega SOLOS to himself.

Axver: yes, but ATYCLB is their most poppy, accessible album.
Guitar is prominent but I can't remember Edge being as noticeable on a U2 album probably since AB. "Dense" was probably referring to the sounds more than themes: Pop is loaded with many different music styles, maybe moreso than anything else they made.

Is it vague ? Yes, but when have they not been vague ? The main point is they all still get excited about new albums, and maybe if they weren't the ones making the music they'd be more objective.

Then I guess you were getting different info. :shrug:
Example: there were those that said Bomb sounds like ATYCLB, and those that compared it to the 80's, and I even saw comparisons to Pop. I have seen LAPOE described as Mofo and Led Zeppelin in two separate track-by-track reviews.

Last edited:
Edge is trying? There is nothing even remotely close to stuff like NYD, Electric Co., Like A Song, Fly, UTEOTW, Acrobat, SBS, BTBS, Gloria etc. on the last 2 albums. Bits and pieces of guitar here and there like Miracle Drug or LAPOE does not make an original solo. I like how people always say Edge is not a solo-ist. All the songs I mentioned above all pretty much have solos. Lately it seems to me like he is either not trying hard or has just run out of ideas. In any case, other things like song melody has come to the forefront lately. So it's okay... but I do not think that Edge has done much lately.

Btw, I'm serious about Slash. He has guested with people like Michael Jackson and Daughtry. It might be cool if he guested on at least one song on the next album. :drool:

Zootlesque said:
Edge is trying? There is nothing even remotely close to stuff like NYD, Electric Co., Like A Song, Fly, UTEOTW, Acrobat, SBS, BTBS, Gloria etc. on the last 2 albums.

So you're saying that, because Edge's guitar parts on HTDAAB do not sound like the aforementioned earlier work, he is NOT trying anything new? :slant:

Fascinating logic, Zoots. :lol:

djerdap said:
Don't believe Bono.

That's all.

Anyone still remember the "Punk rock on Venus" quote?
How do you know that Bomb doesn't sound like Venusian punk rock ? Have you really ever heard Venusian punk rock bands ?

Back
Top Bottom