From Bono himself

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
ZOOTVTOURist said:
Axver has attended the gig(s) in Melbourne and New Zealand – I can be called kind of witness, too (double *smile*)

And I've still got your sign to prove it! :)

All told, I saw 10 Vertigo gigs - 11 if you count the Brisbane rehearsal, which I watched in the pouring rain as a Queensland storm broke overhead. My flatmate sheltered under an umbrella while I stood in the rain with just my notepad under the umbrella - so I could write down the setlist. Hardly the behaviour of someone who doesn't like U2.

By the way we listened to another beautiful version of this song, while waiting in front of Melbourne's stadium – including some references to John Lennon's "Xmas (War Is Over)".

You, Matthias, et al. did while I was sick back in my hotel room and didn't show up until 7:30pm. :(

Though I don't think that was a bad thing. I'm glad the first time I heard One Tree Hill live was in New Zealand in a proper concert setting.

Does anyone really doubt that Axver is a fan? The guy has every single setlist tracked insomuch as it's humanly possible, and I get the impression he's got much of it committed to memory. Why would he do that for a band he didn't like? :scratch:

Axver said:

Alright ...

1. One Tree Hill, no doubt. The last minute of the 26 December 1989 performance is the most moving minute of music I've ever heard. And I'm not a guy who cries during a concert, but the performance on 25/11/2006 ... that was something else. Utoo and miracledrug83 can attest to how excited and overcome I was both nights it was played in Auckland. Another one is Bad - bono_man2002 and Screendoor can attest to my responses to that in Melbourne and Boston respectively. Bad has moved me like no other song since I was 10. Heartland and ASOH give me tingles. Others? 11 O'clock Tick Tock, The Unforgettable Fire, Slug, Bass Trap, Gloria.

2. What moves me about the music? That question's too hard to answer. Some intangible quantity, some emotional reaction. There's good music, there's great music, and then there are my five star songs/albums. I can't quite explain what it is about the five star material that lifts it into that league, but they al affect me similarly, whether it's U2's One Tree Hill or The Shadows' Wonderful Land or Agalloch's In The Shadow Of Our Pale Companion. I suppose a completely transcendent atmosphere, well-written and moving lyrics (if present), and an effortless sincerity oozing out of the music.

3. Yes. Even ATYCLB in places. I truly hate ATYCLB as an album; I know that's blunt but I don't know how else to say it. But that said, WILATW's lyrics are powerful, Kite is beautiful especially live, Walk On is moving despite its lyrical cliches, and Grace ... I'm a bit put off by a lot of religion these days (let's just say I've had some bad experiences), but it's such a beautiful and eloquent spiritual expression.

As for HTDAAB, COBL's very powerful - though I only listen to it live nowadays as the mixing makes me cringe on the studio version. It's a special song in my life and my friend's. And One Step Closer doesn't get the credit it deserves. I'm not sure anything else on the album really touched me, but there are some other good songs and I think over half of the album is worthwhile.

OHHH!!! Are my eyes malfunctioning? Hmm..I guess not!

One question:

The performance of Bad that really moved you (Boston and Melbourne)...are you talking about the vertigo tour? 2006?

Rob33 said:

OHHH!!! Are my eyes malfunctioning? Hmm..I guess not!

If you or anybody else are still not convinced I'm a genuine U2 fan, I suggest you visit U2-Vertigo-Tour.com and see who's credited as one half of the site's team. Matthias is the one who actually keeps the site's code together, while I write most of the articles and maintain the setlists.

One question:

The performance of Bad that really moved you (Boston and Melbourne)...are you talking about the vertigo tour? 2006?

Yes. The Boston performance was 26 May 2005 and the Melbourne performance was 19 November 2006. The latter performance just came out of nowhere - they'd already played the "closer", Kite. Myself, bono_man2002, and one of his friends just went nuts. We were only a couple of rows back from The Edge. It was crazily good.

Axver said:

If you or anybody else are still not convinced I'm a genuine U2 fan, I suggest you visit U2-Vertigo-Tour.com and see who's credited as one half of the site's team. Matthias is the one who actually keeps the site's code together, while I write most of the articles and maintain the setlists.

Yes. The Boston performance was 26 May 2005 and the Melbourne performance was 19 November 2006. The latter performance just came out of nowhere - they'd already played the "closer", Kite. Myself, bono_man2002, and one of his friends just went nuts. We were only a couple of rows back from The Edge. It was crazily good.

awesome, good stuff!

anyone know if there will be any future dvds of Vertigo tour besides chicago...I heard somewhere that they had filmed the japan shows or something and might be preparing something, maybe from the fifth leg, I don't know...anyone know anything about this?

thanks

ramblin rose said:

Your comment would be reasonable, if those people who happened to like the last two albums and enjoyed them as much as earlier releases weren't consistently referred to as "blindly following" U2.

The implication always being that if you enjoyed the last two albums as much as earlier ones you were somehow "blind" and your opinion of those albums was somehow not valid.

:yes:

As far as I'm concerned all the extremists are annoying: the "the 80's was good but they lost it since" folks, the "90's uber alles but they lost it since 2000" folks to me are just the other side of the same coin. And it honestly looks to me like a certain group comes here and 90% or more of their posts are nothing but jabs at current U2. More power to them if it makes them happy but I think there are more appropriate sites for that out there.

And I don't subscribe to the "they were doing fine from 1980-1997 but it's crash and burn from there" mentality either. I think all eras can - or should - be critically examined but bias probably gets in the way of that.

God part II "We're the biggest band in the world. We're currently making an album that's new"

He said they're heading in a new direction, much like the rest of the band has. I liked the "taking it to the next level" bit - I assume he means they really want something special and more cohesive this time. I'll take that over Edge's rehashed "getting lost in the music..." talk any time. I will admit though that the "we should do something great or someone should just shoot U2 in the head" sounds a lot like something he said before Bomb...

Axver isn't a U2 fan? That's one of the most ridiculous ideas ever. The guy knows far more than I do about the band and I've been in love with their music since I was 9, I'm 32 now. Quite a lot of us aren't in love with most of U2's output since the millennium. So what? We've been fans for over the 20 years and have loved them through thick and thin. Being a U2 fanatic isn't easy, as David mentioned, U2 were only cool for a brief period between 91-93 so being a U2 fan meant facing derision from all quarters, Bono irritates the majority of people, like it or not that is a fact. With the quality of the musical output from 1980-1997 it was no problem whatsoever to shrug off all the naysayers and U2 haters as U2's musical output was of such high musical quality and integrity. Since then though I'm not so sure. Speaking for Axver though, nobody worships U2 more than him, that guys level of fandom is unquestionable. Like others pointed out,he is the ultimate source on U2 setlists, he attends as many U2 shows as is possible, in spite of his relatively remote location! If ever he has anything negative to say he always qualifies it with good evidence. He has over 30,000 posts on Interference for God's sake. I think people who meake negative remarks about him need to take a look at themselves, he's allowed an opinion, his love of U2 is undoubted, his criticicisms are well backed up, what's the problem? I personally would love to see a U2 show ith the guy. I feel that he loves U2 as much as I do and that's good enough for me. LONG LIVE AXVER!!

An Cat Gav said:
I personally would love to see a U2 show ith the guy.

After that post, I'd love to buy you a glass of wine (or other beverage of your choice)! That's the highest praise I think I've ever received on Interference. Way to make me blush.

And if I'm ever in your neck of the woods and there's a U2 gig on, let's go. You've always been quality company on the forums - and if your posts don't prove it, anyone with a Father Ted avatar has to be a bloody good sort with a sense of humour. Though I still need to decide if I'll ever go to a U2 gig again. The last song I've heard them play live at this stage is One Tree Hill. That's just so perfect, you know? I don't know if I really want to change that. Though ... I still haven't seen U2 in the Netherlands and Ireland. I've only done half of my locations checklist (Boston and New Zealand). So who knows if I'll see them again. I don't need to decide for at least a year!

No worries dude, you and a handful of others are the only reason I ever bother to come on here. I don't agree with everything you say, for example you dislike my favourite album of all time, Achtung Baby. But we share a love of U2, of songs like Bad, One Tree Hill and Lovetown. You write with a passion that I share and that means a lot to me. So carry on Ax. Don't let the bastards grind you down.

What An Cat Gav said. Axver has a PHD in U2, whether he's liked the last couple of albums or not. The fact that he's stuck it out in spite of his distaste for the newer material speaks volumes.

An Cat Gav said:
Quite a lot of us aren't in love with most of U2's output since the millennium. So what? We've been fans for over the 20 years and have loved them through thick and thin. Being a U2 fanatic isn't easy, as David mentioned, U2 were only cool for a brief period between 91-93 so being a U2 fan meant facing derision from all quarters, Bono irritates the majority of people, like it or not that is a fact. With the quality of the musical output from 1980-1997 it was no problem whatsoever to shrug off all the naysayers and U2 haters as U2's musical output was of such high musical quality and integrity. Since then though I'm not so sure.

I'm pretty sure we get who dislikes or likes their output since 2000. It's the constant whinging about it that gets tiring. <---Speaking generally, not aimed at you.

Boy, that "cool" act during Zoo TV really worked. There are, were and will always be those irritated by Bono, tell us something we don't know. :shrug:

I think saying they were consistently good/great from 1980-1997 is debatable, at best. October ? Rattle and Hum ? Pop ? Some of their most controversial and most heavily critisized work was done in that time. I think outside-Interference U2 fandom doesn't look as fondly on their post-AB output, especially Zooropa and Pop. Who's the blind fan, then ?

U2girl said:

Who's the blind fan, then ?

This guy?

raylb2.jpg

Axver said:

I sincerely haven't a clue which thread you're referring to in the last sentence I quoted. And really, have you been paying that little attention to my posts? I guarantee you that if you ask just about anybody who's ever hung out in EYKIW "who's the biggest fan of the Lovetown Tour?", I'd be in the top five. Same goes if you replace "Lovetown Tour" with The Unforgettable Fire album, One Tree Hill, the pre-Boy era, Passengers, and U2 setlists in general. And I was the lead poster in that epic Heartland Appreciation Thread that ran to 800+ posts. It's no secret that when I like something, I really like something.

I couldn't tell you what thread it was either but it was within the last week or so. I haven't been specifically keeping track of your posts or anyone else's but just the overall impression I have gotten seemed to be that there were more negatives than positives. Maybe I just happened to see several negative posts before seeing anything positive. I don't contend that the impression is correct just that it is what came across for me.

Don't let the label of "prog fan" fool you - I agree entirely. Some of the best prog, technically speaking, is just really bloody boring. Sure, I'm blown away by the skill of the Behold The Arctopus guys, but I'm not exactly in a hurry to play Sensory Amusia.

It's just that, well, lately U2 haven't made me feel much. I think their music has become too formulaic for comfort. You don't share that opinion and that's cool. But to me ... well, I Will Follow is still a storming and electrifying track, while I would not be sad if I never heard Vertigo ever again.

Alright ...

1. One Tree Hill, no doubt. The last minute of the 26 December 1989 performance is the most moving minute of music I've ever heard. And I'm not a guy who cries during a concert, but the performance on 25/11/2006 ... that was something else. Utoo and miracledrug83 can attest to how excited and overcome I was both nights it was played in Auckland. Another one is Bad - bono_man2002 and Screendoor can attest to my responses to that in Melbourne and Boston respectively. Bad has moved me like no other song since I was 10. Heartland and ASOH give me tingles. Others? 11 O'clock Tick Tock, The Unforgettable Fire, Slug, Bass Trap, Gloria.

2. What moves me about the music? That question's too hard to answer. Some intangible quantity, some emotional reaction. There's good music, there's great music, and then there are my five star songs/albums. I can't quite explain what it is about the five star material that lifts it into that league, but they al affect me similarly, whether it's U2's One Tree Hill or The Shadows' Wonderful Land or Agalloch's In The Shadow Of Our Pale Companion. I suppose a completely transcendent atmosphere, well-written and moving lyrics (if present), and an effortless sincerity oozing out of the music.

3. Yes. Even ATYCLB in places. I truly hate ATYCLB as an album; I know that's blunt but I don't know how else to say it. But that said, WILATW's lyrics are powerful, Kite is beautiful especially live, Walk On is moving despite its lyrical cliches, and Grace ... I'm a bit put off by a lot of religion these days (let's just say I've had some bad experiences), but it's such a beautiful and eloquent spiritual expression.

As for HTDAAB, COBL's very powerful - though I only listen to it live nowadays as the mixing makes me cringe on the studio version. It's a special song in my life and my friend's. And One Step Closer doesn't get the credit it deserves. I'm not sure anything else on the album really touched me, but there are some other good songs and I think over half of the album is worthwhile.

Thank you, I have a better view of your position now. You see, I had the impression that there was nothing on the last two albums that had any redeeming qualities at all in your view.

Just for the record if I didn't intend to give the impression that I didn't think you were a fan. I don't subscribe to the idea that people have to prove they are fans. As far as I'm concerned if you consider yourself a fan then you are a fan.

When it comes to the general raft of negative posts I am genuinely mystified by the fact that people who call themselves fans can be so overwelmingly negative. There are some who seem to never have anything good to say or seem to delight in bashing those who do have positive things to say. And there are some who dismiss the positive poster's as being blind followers. I can only conclude that their idea of fandom is radically different from mine.

Dana

While Rob33 could have perhaps made his point a little more diplomatically (and Axver's response to him was definitely lacking in the diplomacy department as well), he was basically asking for people to express their feelings of the band with less overt negativity, regardless of their personal feelings about individual U2 albums and eras.

For example, in this thread, it has been implied that Edge has not been "trying" or has been "lazy" with their more recent albums, and it has been said that Bono "is a lot of hot air" in regards to his descriptions of their progress. Comments like those sound like things that Henry Rollins has said in the past during one of his anti-U2 tirades.

Saying that you don't personally care for Edge's more recent work is much different than judging him by assuming that he didn't put much effort into it. And saying that you think Bono exaggerates from time to time is much different than basically calling him a windbag. As I said before, sometimes it's how you say something rather than what you say that reveals the most about you.

We're not asking everyone to blindly worship U2 or never give the band any constructive criticism...we're just asking people to be less overtly negative and tone down some of the unnecessarily disparaging language.

Last edited:
Swan269 said:
I was there for that one too buddy, easily the best one I have ever heard.

That performance felt like it was never going to end. I wish it hadn't. That song has such a powerful 'eternal' kind of quality live.

rihannsu said:
Thank you, I have a better view of your position now. You see, I had the impression that there was nothing on the last two albums that had any redeeming qualities at all in your view.

I just noted when you joined the site, so you weren't around in 2004 and the first half of 2005. For a while there, I was the absolute biggest fan of COBL on this forum. Since I heard it live though, I just can't stand the way it was mixed in the studio. It's one of those songs that's so good live, it destroyed the studio version for me (same happened with 11OTT - took me over two years to come to appreciate the studio version).

I don't subscribe to the idea that people have to prove they are fans. As far as I'm concerned if you consider yourself a fan then you are a fan.

I agree with that. :up:

TheFirstBigW said:
[...] it has been said that Bono "is a lot of hot air" in regards to his descriptions of their progress.
[...]
And saying that you think Bono exaggerates from time to time is much different than basically calling him a windbag.

But see, this is the thing: I do think Bono is full of hot air when it comes to his own music. His comments about upcoming or recent U2 material feel like they came straight from a hyperbole machine complete with extra cliche power. Now, nobody expects a musician to give away exactly what they're doing, or an artist to be able to finely explain the intricacies of self-expression that might not even be able to be described with words. In fact, I'd be cool if Bono played his cards very close to his chest and created an aura of anticipation. But instead he spouts off about "a whole new level". It's like his statements are just flashy soundbytes with no substance. I don't feel like he's informative, and he's not getting me excited about the music. I write him off.

Now, I never started off with this negative attitude. It's just that after hearing him talk on many different topics, I've come to realise when I think it's worth taking him seriously, and when I think he's just full of hot air. When he's talking about Africa, sure, I may not agree with some of the details, but I'll pay attention because he knows what he's on about. When he's talking about new U2 albums - I can do without hyperbolic cliches. And, well, the less said about Bono's knowledge of his own band's live history, the better! (My favourite example: in March 2005, he claimed they hadn't played 40 since 1983. They last played it in full in February 2001. Ooops.)

They also closed with Bad in New Jersey 5/18/2005... also came out of nowhere, it was awesome. I think they also closed with it during a Washington, DC show in the fall.

norsehorse23 said:
They also closed with Bad in New Jersey 5/18/2005... also came out of nowhere, it was awesome. I think they also closed with it during a Washington, DC show in the fall.

Yup, it was 2005-10-20. I was there for that one. As much as I love Bad, I actually preferred 40 as the closer the night before. The audience sang 40 all the way to the street that night, whereas on the 20th during Bad, Bono snippetted "People Have the Power," which the audience only really carried for a minute or so.

See now I'm a fan of there older stuff. I really tried to get into the last 2 albums and keep an open mind, but I feel nothing. Its not just nostalgia either because I listen to all kinds of current music and not just stuff from my youth. I think the thing is, you start to analyze the music and ask yourself why the music isn't doing anything for you and that's where the negativity may stem from.
I don't think U2 mind the fact that they have fans from all different eras or they wouldn't play their older material anymore and would only play music off the last 2 albums (like you Porcupine Tree!).
I think when I listen to the last 2 albums, I find that the problems are that the hooks aren't very good, the bass isn't high enough in the mix, the rhythm needs to be tighter, there needs to be more dynamics. I feel they still have it in them to create a good album- they just need to branch out a bit or something.

I can respect everyone's opinions on all of these subjects, and I don't think that the way we feel about these subjects is the cause of the problem.

The problem comes when we express our opinions in a way that makes other fans feel like we're putting down the band or being unnecessarily harsh. Probably a lot of it is done in a light-hearted or ribbing nature and we don't mean any harm by it, but as you can see from the reaction of Rob33 and others (myself included), new fans who are just getting excited about U2 and older fans who think very highly of the band as not only musicians but also as people can take unnecessarily negative comments the wrong way and feel like we're not only expressing our opinions but also attacking the band in the process.

I don't mean to act like the political correctness police or tell you that you have to tip-toe around everything you say, and there have been times when I've upset other people without intending to do so as well.

I'm just saying that keeping in mind the feelings of others on this issue is not a bad thing if you can use a little bit of tact and still manage to get your point across.

Axver said:

But see, this is the thing: I do think Bono is full of hot air when it comes to his own music. His comments about upcoming or recent U2 material feel like they came straight from a hyperbole machine complete with extra cliche power. Now, nobody expects a musician to give away exactly what they're doing, or an artist to be able to finely explain the intricacies of self-expression that might not even be able to be described with words. In fact, I'd be cool if Bono played his cards very close to his chest and created an aura of anticipation. But instead he spouts off about "a whole new level". It's like his statements are just flashy soundbytes with no substance. I don't feel like he's informative, and he's not getting me excited about the music. I write him off.

Now, I never started off with this negative attitude. It's just that after hearing him talk on many different topics, I've come to realise when I think it's worth taking him seriously, and when I think he's just full of hot air. When he's talking about Africa, sure, I may not agree with some of the details, but I'll pay attention because he knows what he's on about. When he's talking about new U2 albums - I can do without hyperbolic cliches. And, well, the less said about Bono's knowledge of his own band's live history, the better! (My favourite example: in March 2005, he claimed they hadn't played 40 since 1983. They last played it in full in February 2001. Ooops.)

I'm not sure exactly what people want from Bono (or any other band member) re: their studio work. Silence, moaning how they aren't getting anywhere, details about what tempo Larry will use or what effects Edge is using, what the lyrics will be about, comparisons to their other work...what would do it ? Can't we just settle for them saying they're into the new album and excited about the new musical direction ?

Whether you agree with him or not, you can't deny everyone is eager on hearing his statements. Whether you like it or not, he talks about their new album more frequently then others (sure he gets the spotlight because he's the singer but still). I personally get more out of his talk than Edge, Larry or Adam.

And I don't see what U2 knowing every single detail of their live shows has to do with them talking about the new album. (remember the Edge "Melbourne" thank you debacle on last tour?)

Axver said:
For a while there, I was the absolute biggest fan of COBL on this forum. Since I heard it live though, I just can't stand the way it was mixed in the studio. It's one of those songs that's so good live, it destroyed the studio version for me...
It's interesting that you say that, because when I saw the music video for COBL, which was basically a live performance of the song, I was not very impressed and thought it paled in comparison to the album version. Maybe they improved upon it after the video?

U2girl said:

I think saying they were consistently good/great from 1980-1997 is debatable, at best. October ? Rattle and Hum ? Pop ? Some of their most controversial and most heavily critisized work was done in that time. I think outside-Interference U2 fandom doesn't look as fondly on their post-AB output, especially Zooropa and Pop. Who's the blind fan, then ?

:yes: :yes:

i also wonder if the Bono-hype doesn't serve as very consciously upping the ante on the band themselves -- that they better deliver after all of this talk.

also, what else does U2 have left to accomplish? why are they still recording? why would they tour? why would they still be together after 25 years if not to raise it to the next level and make music you've never heard before?

i feel as if the comments are as much for them as they are for us. (not that i don't roll my eyes a little too at the Bonoperbole)

TheFirstBigW said:

It's interesting that you say that, because when I saw the music video for COBL, which was basically a live performance of the song, I was not very impressed and thought it paled in comparison to the album version. Maybe they improved upon it after the video?

I don't think video did the song justice. I believe the music video uses the single mix of the song which I don't think is as good as the live version or even the album version of the song.

rushu2 said:
See now I'm a fan of there older stuff. I really tried to get into the last 2 albums and keep an open mind, but I feel nothing. Its not just nostalgia either because I listen to all kinds of current music and not just stuff from my youth. I think the thing is, you start to analyze the music and ask yourself why the music isn't doing anything for you and that's where the negativity may stem from.

Thank you.

I don't understand how not being moved by MD, for example, equates to negative attacks on the band/band members...
So it doesn't affect you as much, big deal. The song/album that hardly does anything for you is the same song/album that is very moving for others. It simply depends on personal taste, like I've said about 30 million times...oh wait I don't even have 100 posts....:ohmy:

As said already by numerous people though, maybe I'm simply interpreting it in a way different from the poster's original perspective or intentions...but to denounce a song as "terrible in comparison to the 80's," for example, seems foolish...

Last edited:
Axver said:

Yes. The Boston performance was 26 May 2005

This was my first Bad. I almost died when I heard those opening notes, and it was so well done. I also heard it on 12-04-2005 in Boston, when I was right in front of Bono in the 2nd row of the ellipse, so that's my favorite Bad, but not for musical reasons.

Both versions snippetted 40 at the end to keep the crowd going.

Well, Bono has always been good at hyping stuff, he's a promotion genius, and I think if he feels really excited or passionate about something, he just tends to express it this way, that's who he is.

In the end, noone, not even the band, knows exactly in which direction the work on new music will take them, it's a mystery and I think they shouldn't give away too much. Whatever they say, in the end it might look completely different.

I understand this. I'm all for not letting people from outside look into the creative process.

Back
Top Bottom