First description of the new song?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If it's 400 then I will be very pleased. Sounds like Clocks my ass.

Clocks is four douchebags who discovered what 'hall reverb' is when you apply it to a piano track.

I am listening to 402 and I think I hear Windows in the Sky at the end of each chorus......i am probably wrong and I am just hearing what I want to...

i hear something in the sky, cant quite make out 'windows' in it, but i hear something in the sky in 402 as well.

Where the hell are these beach clips? I've heard of them for weeks now and have still yet to see the MP3s anywhere.....

BigMacPhisto said:
Where the hell are these beach clips? I've heard of them for weeks now and have still yet to see the MP3s anywhere.....

Beach Clips 2006, Eze-Sur-Mer, France
http://www.sa vefile.com/projects/923039

Project updated: September 20th 2006, 10:12 PM. (GMT:+2)

Too keep track of what's new or what this includes take a look here:
Includes:

* Cedric u2achtung.com audio (about 16 seconds from youtube)
* U2exit (total of about 18 min) clips
* Some cleaned up beachclips
* Alternate versions by Daniel Lanois and The Strokes
* Information .txt files including "lyrics"
* CD-Front cover
* Walk On The Beach All My Life 30-second mix to compare All My Life to Walk On
* Guitar chords for U2's "Thank You For The Day" and guitar tab for "All My Life".
* Fan recorded covers of "All My Life", "I Believe" and "Thank You For The Day" by am22884 (uploaded with permission of course)
* Fan video for "All My Life" made by Edge89
* Fan cover of "Thank You For The Day" with guitar parts by Edge89

The_Edge89, you're a godsend. Thanks for sorting everything out for me. :drool:

You're welcome BigMacPhisto!

I figured it would be a good thing to gather everything in one place in case something would happen or so.
(Like U2exit being told not to host the files and such...)

u2thewho said:
Sweetest Thing 1987= Good
Sweetest Thing 1998= Total shite.

What the heck?

The 80s Sweetest thing is completely and utterly HORRIBLE. One of the worst U2 songs released, ever.

The 98 one isn't that great, but it's listenable at least.

shart1780 said:

What the heck?

The 80s Sweetest thing is completely and utterly HORRIBLE. One of the worst U2 songs released, ever.

The 98 one isn't that great, but it's listenable at least.

Agreed. :up:

I like the 98 version better, but neither is that great to begin with. :huh:

^These are the "beach clips." This summer when word was that the band were in the south of France, various people hung out on the beach outside Bono's house. One night, members of The Strokes were over. The band played a cd of songs that they had been working on. A taper recorded 5 songs. These have been given number nicknames, based on the last 3 digits of the files for each song. The songs were 400, 402, 403, 404, 409. 409 is actually a Strokes song....possibly they played a cd for U2 to hear after U2 had played their own. The other 4 are clearly U2. These songs are all included in the save file link that The_Edge89 posted...which it sounds like you've already downloaded.

shart1780 said:

What the heck?

:shrug: Awful vocal, terrible sound and undefined middle section.

The original Sweetest thing was one of their greatest ever B sides, but it should have stayed as just a b side. The 98 version isn't great but its not as bad as people here are saying.

u2thewho said:
Sweetest Thing 1987= Good
Sweetest Thing 1998= Total shite.

Uh...why?

I listened to both recently and I have to disagree - I think the '98 version is TONS better.

I will admit that when I first heard the '98 version, I wasn't a big fan. But that's only because I had grown so used to the '87 version. Now that I've had time to adjust to both and really evaluate them, I can see all the weaknesses in the '87 version and why U2 felt a remake was due.

Bono's vocals are horrid on the '87 version. There's a time to be scratchy (like "One" or "In a Little While") and there's times not to be - this was one of those times. But U2 had been in heavy recording mode at the time and Bono's voice was worn (per the Edge). The '98 version really cleans up the vocals.

The '98 version also features more Edge and makes the song more polished. Maybe some like the rawness of the '87 version vs. the more "pop" sound of the '98 version, but if there ever was a U2 pop song, this is it.

But really, this is all moot. U2 have done that song. I don't want to hear another "Sweetest Thing" or "Electrical Sky" or even "Hold Me... Kill Me". However, a combination of all three could be interesting...

So, to get back on topic....

Here's an update from Caroline, the girl from u2log.com. She posted this in reply to questions that people had asked her about her experience "hearing the new song sung to her over a bottle of wine..":

Caroline[TypeKey Profile Page] says:

Finally got access again, at Dublin airport.

@ popartist
It was the unidentified and as yet untitled new song I heard a few lines of.

@ jimbo
I don't remember if it sounded like any of the beach clips.

The words I remember are something like 'Look what love has done for us' or maybe 'What has love come to'.

Kinda odd that she never mentioned lyrics like "window in the sky." Could still be the title, as she seems to think this song is untitled.

^Very possible, especially with those lyrics that she seems to recall.

Yes, according to atu2.com:

"Love Is All We Have Left" - a song Bono named during his May, 2006, trip to Africa as one that he had recently written. "It’s like an old Broadway tune. I thought it was a Frank Sinatra song," Bono said.

An old broadway tune that could have been sung by Frank Sinatra, hey? That could fit into the "70s pop crooner" description, I suppose. And, yes, the lyrics seem to be consistent with the title, too.

We could have a winner! However, we will never be able to prove it if they changed the title of course. Someone needs to call Bono and ask.

Michael Griffiths said:
Funny how she doesn't mention WHO this mysterious person was doing the singing over a glass of wine.

Could this new song be what was at one time 'Love Is All We Have Left'?

I'd place a bet on Gavin Friday, who she does occasional work for and is in fairly frequent contact with... If it was Gavin singing it, he likely did it Gavin-style.

According to a poster in Music from the internet subforum, some of the lyrics

"I wanna be the sky tonight
a window in the sky, alright
the moon is sleepy
can you rejoice?"

Back
Top Bottom