FEZ-Being Born appreciation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i finally got into this song this morning....took awhile, it was a grower but its on repeat now.

My kids (6 & 8) love the "let me in the sound" lyric a lot from Boots. So, when Fez starts they go a little crazy and demand that I turn it up so they can get in the sound. By the time Fez transitions into Being Born, they're both up and hopping around the living room. It is quite funny really. I fell in love with Fez-Being Born instantly, but I was sure that my kids were going to want to me to skip this on the bose sounddock. Nope. They love it too. :rockon:

so this version isn't great? :giggle:

I haven't even heard the album yet, but damn....this sounds desperate. Did it ever occur to you that maybe this time, just fucking MAYBE, it's not the case of "U2 didn't have enough balls to release......." ???? :rolleyes:

Let's look at the details as we were given them. They were originally set to release the album last November (according to some reports) and they delayed it until now in order to work on the songs.

Then 24 hours before the band were supposed to hand in the finished product to Universal, Bono said in an article that they remixed 3 songs, rewrote two and excised 2 songs altogether. This is pure speculation on my part, of course, but I'd have to assume based on prior history that the changes were made at Larry's insistence. Maybe it wasn't a case that "U2 didn't have the balls", but Larry didn't.

And on topic, FEZ-Being Born is my favourite track on the album. I can definitely see this opening the encore.

For me Fez-Being Born is in the perfect place on the album.
After 'Go Crazy' the album drops down because with 'Boots' being out for a while I've listened to it alot and the novely has worn slightly from that song.
Then by the end of SUC the album kicks back into gear and continues through Fez right up until Cedars.

Realised today you can't listen to a song without hearing the song before it :drool:
Most times I listen to a album from start to finish once then I start picking out songs. On NLOTH I've listened start to finish almost every time :applaud:

I kinda dismissed this song with my first listens. But kinda like a Radiohead or Sigur Ros song, it just "popped" for me on the 5th or 6th listen. Just love it now. Where the melody line dips at 2:25 (and again later) is just gorgeous.

For me Fez-Being Born is in the perfect place on the album.

Realised today you can't listen to a song without hearing the song before it :drool:
Most times I listen to a album from start to finish once then I start picking out songs. On NLOTH I've listened start to finish almost every time :applaud:

exactly. As someone mentioned, this isnt a greatest hits album. its like a movie. gotta listen to it from start to finish.

It gets better and better.

i've decided that this song may end up being one of the all time "cult classics" in U2's catalog.

Fez-Being Born... the best song on the album.. and the most intelligent song since Acrobat.

African sun, at last...

This is quickly turning into my favourite song on the album. I get chills at 1:32. Chills. It sounds so fucking good. People have been complaining about Bono's wailing on the album, but I think it often adds to the music -- especially in Being Born.

Totally agree. Bono's wailing entry here is one of the best moments on the album.

My kids (6 & 8) love the "let me in the sound" lyric a lot from Boots. So, when Fez starts they go a little crazy and demand that I turn it up so they can get in the sound. By the time Fez transitions into Being Born, they're both up and hopping around the living room. It is quite funny really.
:lol: That's awesome.

I love this song after the second listen, its just so beautiful, and the sounds in the first minute are cool. I must say, I love the ringing guitar, especially in the outro. :up:

Also the voices of citizens of Fez were pretty cool to listen to, sounds like its at a market. :drool:

Good thing they've taken a piece of Fez to give us. :D

Oh my, I love this song more and more. It has such a TUF atmosphere about it. It gives me goosebumps. The song might just end up in my album top 3. :up:

This song reminds me of the movie Blue Velvet for some odd reason.

I think the guitar textures on this and the title track are something new. Very interesting, very odd.

From U2.com:

"And then there's this song that is called 'Tripoli' at the moment, which is this guy on a motorcycle, a Moroccan French cop, who's going Awol. He drives through France and Spain down to this village outside of Cadiz where you can actually see the fires of Africa burning...'

That song was eventually called Fez-Being Born and it's streaming right now, along with the rest of the album."

Mystery finally solved! Great song, one of album's highlights.

Hey! This thread needs to move up to the top of the list - the song deserves it. This song is just so beatiful - I beleive it is my favourite song at the moment. :applaud:

From U2.com:

"And then there's this song that is called 'Tripoli' at the moment, which is this guy on a motorcycle, a Moroccan French cop, who's going Awol. He drives through France and Spain down to this village outside of Cadiz where you can actually see the fires of Africa burning...'

That song was eventually called Fez-Being Born and it's streaming right now, along with the rest of the album."

Mystery finally solved! Great song, one of album's highlights.

Thanks for that. Now we know !

Back
Top Bottom