Fez

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Superflysrb

The Fly
So the boys are recording in Fez with Eno and Lanois...what happened to Rubin?
Did they not get along? It would have been great to hear what sort of sounds Rubin and U2 came up with...WITS was ok...but I feel they could have done better...

Superflysrb said:
Did they not get along? It would have been great to hear what sort of sounds Rubin and U2 came up with...WITS was ok...but I feel they could have done better...

I hope that Rubin won't produced it, I think that WITS was one of their worst moment.

I hope that Eno and Lanios is back, but most of all that Eno will do most on the songs. Might be realy intrestting :)

Superflysrb said:

It's too early to tell, they are in writing mode, and Rubin isn't the type to be in the studio during that phase...

Re: Re: Fez

BonoVoxSupastar said:

It's too early to tell, they are in writing mode, and Rubin isn't the type to be in the studio during that phase...

Keeping this in mind, perhaps Eno and Lanois are just there to guide the band through the writing process and then Rubin will take over later. :shrug:

Re: Re: Re: Fez

LemonMelon said:

Keeping this in mind, perhaps Eno and Lanois are just there to guide the band through the writing process and then Rubin will take over later. :shrug:

That sounds great. :up:

Yeah Rubin wouldn't "work through" anything with them. Maybe he'll come in to lay the final tracks down after the songs are done.

Re: Re: Re: Fez

Actually, the reports they're in Fez, Morocco are all wrong.
And they're not working with Eno or Lanois.

They're working WITH Fez.

6676.jpg

They're going back to a Pop/dance sound.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Fez

coemgen said:
Actually, the reports they're in Fez, Morocco are all wrong.
And they're not working with Eno or Lanois.

They're working WITH Fez.

6676.jpg

They're going back to a Pop/dance sound.

The reason why they started with that is that Kermit has been an heavy alcoholic addicted, so they leaved him in Dublin

kermit_1139193360.jpg

kermit6.jpg

I thought Rubin wanted the songs to be finished when he worked with them . SO I assume they are working on them now and will go to Rubin when they have everything ready.

What rubin did with the chili peppers is reason enough for me to want to see what would happen with u2. I think he knows how to put songs together.

if the next album is to be built around edge on fire and mercy I think rubin coming in to provide his perspective would make for a legendary album. I think rubin knows how to construct songs. put them together in an exciting way.

I am for the rubin idea and hope it pans out

I just want Edge to do some cool guitar stuff like on Pop and AB. His guitar work on the last two albums had been kinda boring. I know he's not one to do solos and stuff, but at least make some cool noises come out of the guitar. That's what I like so much about Pop.
And his guitar during the Zoo TV tour was ridiculous.

Superflysrb said:
I just want Edge to do some cool guitar stuff like on Pop and AB. His guitar work on the last two albums had been kinda boring. I know he's not one to do solos and stuff, but at least make some cool noises come out of the guitar. That's what I like so much about Pop.
And his guitar during the Zoo TV tour was ridiculous.

Friend speaks my mind.

FitzChivalry said:
Just something new. Something different. No more Miracle Drugs or Walk Ons. Those songs are decent enough, but, been there - done that, time to move on.

AMEN

FitzChivalry said:
Just something new. Something different. No more Miracle Drugs or Walk Ons. Those songs are decent enough, but, been there - done that, time to ove on.

I would say no more SYCMIOYO and OSCTK.

I like MD, walk on I can do without. Kite and MD are good though.

Heresy! Walk On is amazing (particularly the live Hallelujah version) and while MD might not be innovative I like the story it tells.

As for Rubin...the most commercial and over-rated producer in the business these days. His work with Johnny Cash was great, outside of that I haven't really heard him push anything new from artists.

I still don't understand what exactly everyone seems to think Rubin will contribute. U2 don't write songs then go into to a studio and play with mixes the songs are mixed and remixed and played with as they are being written. So if Rubin wants the songs done before he goes into the studio with them then WHAT THE FUCK is he going to be doing? U2's producers have always been involved in providing creative atmosphere and inspiration DURING the creation of the songs. I admit I don't know anything about recording other than what I've read about with U2 but I am seriously mystified by this whole thing. If someone could give an idea or example of what exactly Rubin might contribute after the songs are already written that qualifies for a producer credit then I would really appreciate it.

Dana

powerhour24 said:
As for Rubin...the most commercial and over-rated producer in the business these days. His work with Johnny Cash was great, outside of that I haven't really heard him push anything new from artists.

Why don't we just beg U2 to make ATYCLB II? :happy:

rihannsu said:
I still don't understand what exactly everyone seems to think Rubin will contribute. U2 don't write songs then go into to a studio and play with mixes the songs are mixed and remixed and played with as they are being written. So if Rubin wants the songs done before he goes into the studio with them then WHAT THE FUCK is he going to be doing? U2's producers have always been involved in providing creative atmosphere and inspiration DURING the creation of the songs. I admit I don't know anything about recording other than what I've read about with U2 but I am seriously mystified by this whole thing. If someone could give an idea or example of what exactly Rubin might contribute after the songs are already written that qualifies for a producer credit then I would really appreciate it.

Dana

Wish I could..
I've been reading alot about RR but I can't find anything difinitive that describes what he does, with one exception in one article, he says that he doesn't try to stifle the true sound of a band. Huh! well neither does U2 obviously..
ok does that mean, wtf does that mean??
I haven't listened to alot of what he has produced so I can't say, and I'm not so sure I want to since I'm not into the whole hip hop/rap genre.
The jury is still out for me.:shrug:

rihannsu said:
I So if Rubin wants the songs done before he goes into the studio with them then WHAT THE FUCK is he going to be doing?

He'll make the songs ultra slick, ultra compressed and ultra loud. That's about it.

Rubin's biggest trademark as a producer has been a "stripped-down" sound, that involves eliminating cliché production elements such as string sections, backup vocals, reverb, and instead having naked vocals and bare instrumentation. However, by the 2000s, Rubin style had been known to include such elements, as noted in the Washington Post: "As the track reaches a crescendo and Diamond's portentous baritone soars over a swelling string arrangement, Rubin leans back, as though floored by the emotional power of the song".[3]

His previous style began with his very first production effort, LL Cool J's Radio, which consisted of little more than rapping and percussive beats (the liner notes credit for the album read "Reduced by Rick Rubin" rather than the usual "Produced by Rick Rubin"). He later gained a reputation for being able to restore the careers of veteran singers and bands, as somebody who could help them break out of the commercial rut they were currently in. He did this most notably with Johnny Cash, achieving this with Tom Petty, AC/DC (on the album Ballbreaker) and Neil Diamond (on 12 Songs) as well.

On the subject of his production methods; Dan Charnas, a music journalist who worked as vice president of A&R and marketing at Rubin's American Recordings label in the 1990s, said "He's fantastic with sound and arrangements, and he's tremendous with artists. They love him. He shows them how to make it better, and he gets more honest and exciting performances out of people than anyone."

Well, although I liked both Saints and WITS there was nothing about the sound and arrangements that was any major difference from what U2 have done with other producers. Rubin may indeed be a great producer but I just don't see how he is any kind of a fit for U2. Bono never disses anyone but his praise of Rubin seemed rather faint to me and while nothing he said was negative the tone of his voice didn't give the impression that they were wowed by him. Edge's comments were along the lines that things went well so we'll see. But I just got the impression that Rubin didn't really inspire them. Edge also made a comment regarding just the four of them working on songs that was along the lines of that they just never felt they were all that interesting on their own. What I took that to mean is that the band usually gets inspiration from their surroundings and the people they have around them. When you read about previous albums creation they always talk about the atmosphere and about having people around who spark ideas. U2 is best inspired by their interaction with their environment and the people around them. That's why they always start projects off by going to other locations, like Berlin for AB, Miami for Pop. I all their comments about Rubin while the never say anything negative the just don't seem inspired by him and they never said he would definitely be producing just that things went well so they might go that direction. I really felt like they were just hedging their bets hoping to get someone else to light them up.

The one thing that Rubin could maybe do well in my opinion would be a Bono solo album along the lines of his work with Cash and Diamond. Give Bono a chance to record some more beautiful ballads that seem to be so ill recieved if not on the albums but definitely live. I think there are songs that Bono writes that don't necessarily fit U2 and if they aren't written specifically for other artists, like Orbison, they probably end up in the vault never to be heard. Bono's comment to Larry about Stateless when Larry asked why he was giving it to the MDH soundtrack was "Well, you all certainly weren't very excited about it so why not give it to the movie." to me indicates that there are often things that get laid aside because they don't fit U2. A Bono solo album would be no more threat to the band than any of their other side projects and they have always looked at outside work as beneficial to the band so I don't think it would cause problems like in other bands. That is other than the time involved, after all he did MDH while they did ATYCLB so it's not like it would be a strange idea. I for one love the softer ballads and from comments it seems to me that Bono is sometimes a bit hurt that the fans don't seem to like them.

Dana

My opinion? I LOVE MD and i REALLY love WALK ON:

note... i love the popmart tour, but ending a show with ONE is like ending trainspotting without renton walking across the bridge as Underworld is playing. There is just no closure, no THIS IS THE END moment.

With 40 that exists, and it seems to me that as great and mindblowing as POPMART was, it just didn't have that last moment, that 8 minute closer. Walk On did that for me with the elevation tour. Granted, I love the Vertigo tour more and I love Popmart. But to me, Walk On is a great track, a perfect closer and because of that, I love Walk On.

That said, it has been done. It has a great solo and a great bridge. But I want Edge to rip into his guitar again and make me say, upon first listen "is that a guitar". That is something I can honestly say I haven't said (about the edge) since pop. I said it on Discotheque and Mofo, I said it on Some Days Are Better Than Others, and Love Is Blindness. And That is the sound, that strange otherworldliness that I want to return on the next album. And given what Rubin did on tracks like Animal Bar and Wet Sand and 21st Century and Death Of A Martian on Stadium Arcadium, he is the right man for the job.

The last time I said "is that a guitar" about a guitar was in reference to (of course) Tom Morello. And it was on an Audioslave track produced by Rick Rubin.

Is that a harmonica or a guitar?

When I hear MD and Walk On and Kite and even COBL I know I am hearing a guitar (there are a couple subtle moments on COBL where I am unsure, but i want full on confusion)...

and I want a new batch of songs that harkens back to that super futurist realm that edge created with tracks like Zooropa and Acrobat and Gone and Please. Man.... remember the first time you heard those songs?

Gob Bluth: "COME ON!"

rihannsu said:

The one thing that Rubin could maybe do well in my opinion would be a Bono solo album along the lines of his work with Cash and Diamond. Give Bono a chance to record some more beautiful ballads that seem to be so ill recieved if not on the albums but definitely live. I think there are songs that Bono writes that don't necessarily fit U2 and if they aren't written specifically for other artists, like Orbison, they probably end up in the vault never to be heard. Bono's comment to Larry about Stateless when Larry asked why he was giving it to the MDH soundtrack was "Well, you all certainly weren't very excited about it so why not give it to the movie." to me indicates that there are often things that get laid aside because they don't fit U2. A Bono solo album would be no more threat to the band than any of their other side projects and they have always looked at outside work as beneficial to the band so I don't think it would cause problems like in other bands. That is other than the time involved, after all he did MDH while they did ATYCLB so it's not like it would be a strange idea. I for one love the softer ballads and from comments it seems to me that Bono is sometimes a bit hurt that the fans don't seem to like them.

Dana

I'm sure there are several songs that Bono has written which don't fit with the band, but I don't see the idea of a solo album becoming a reality anytime soon. The main reason being Bono himself, he has said in the past that his worst nightmare would be to be a solo artist and be in the studio with a group of session musicians who were all under his employment. The bouncing of creative ideas off on one another is one of the things he enjoys most about being in a band. They're a democracy and are as such are all on equal terms, its a level playing feild, which almost certainly wouldn't be the case if he made a solo album, this creative stimuli would be lost, he'd be dictating what he wanted to the rest of the musicians rather than being inspired by a collective of ideas. The members of U2 will fight for what they believe in which I don't think could ever happen with a group he himself has assembled, in all liklihood they'd listen to his instructions and play whatever he wanted unquestioningly because he's 'superstar singer Bono from U2' and they're just glad to be in the same room as him. I don't think this would be a good atmosphere with which to produce a creatively fresh and interesting album, and I'm pleased he's so reluctant to do it.
My two cents.

Last edited:
excellent use of "heresy" powerhour24

I think I was being overblown, I like wlak on. I'll tell you I don't think it compares to MD though. (if only because of that weird thing bono mumbles in the beginning "if love. . is not an easy thing. . " blah blah)

As for more rubin talk, I was listening to the audioslave album with set it off and cochise on it and man does rubin know how to really make a song punch your lights out.

Clawgrabber, whoever he is, has it right about those chili pepp songs too. I think he wants the band to be "done" with their songs because his job is to come in and make the songs work not write them for the band he's working with.

Chilli Pepps and U2 with rubin is a perfect fit because the bands know how to write a song and rubin will put it together in a way the band may be unable to see after having them in their heads for so long. Rubin helps make'em fresh and gives a real amazing outside perspective.

"why don't you guys do this here and put that part in the middle" kinda stuff.

The same as a director would do being brought in to a play or something.

Not that I know anything about theatre or care about that stupid stuff. Seriously. Right guys? I mean whatever. We're cool right?

Back
Top Bottom