Farewell

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

artdirector

Refugee
So many opinions. Old and young. Is it a bad album, is it great..comparisons.
Its not an album from U2. Its farewell. Every track telling us how far they have come. And that - MAKES IT GREAT. For the first time we can say its a collection of songs where we can look back and say - Thank You. For being different. For being innovative. For staying together. For getting us through life. For making us believe. For….ever. Its another beginning. We will listen. And then one more album. Another collection. Another reminder. Another day. Another night. Reminding us - Old and young….U2, Me2, Us2…Our2…..will always be with us.

Thank You Paul, Dave, Adam & Larry.

You couldn't be more wrong. There are reports of as many as two more albums in the next 18 months. It's not farewell. It's welcome back. :applaud:

Yes totally agree, also if they where saying farewell why would Bono put an open letter up saying remember us?, it's not the end

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

To be honest, a Songs of Innocence and Songs of Experience combination sounds tailor-made to be a sign-off to me.

To be honest, a Songs of Innocence and Songs of Experience combination sounds tailor-made to be a sign-off to me.

I think it could be, but really it was more that they kept writing after the songs of ascent idea, and bono had this notion of writing about their beginnings, and the idea sprouted. It just seems to me like a great way to spark some songwriting of quality, and it happens to also be a great bookend to their career. I doubt it was as calculated as all that when it started. Maybe they will be happy for it to be the end if it naturally is, but aren't pre-calculating anything at this point

Just don't think there will ever be an "end" to U2 to be honest I think they will just get together making songs when they want to etc

Just sounds like they are having to much fun with it

So we may get song of ass-scent yet?

No idea what the third title may be. Of normally be very skeptical of news like that, but I never in a million years thought they'd drop the album this Tuesday, so I'm a believer.

And yes, I also believe that these two or possibly three albums will be the band's swan song.

Never seen adam having as much fun as he has during the last few tours and he was loving it during the apple performance

I have to say that it does feel like the band is heading towards a farewell with this double release (or is it trilogy now), it is a flood of music that ties things up pretty neatly. The band probably isn't 100% about it still, but are looking towards that... But at least it would be a two-year farewell so we all have time to come to terms with it.

IMO if it was a farewell the band or at least Bono would be telling us that's what it is

Songs of ascent would be a good third album title ;)

And IMO I cannot see the band wanting to quit touring etc

IMO if it was a farewell the band or at least Bono would be telling us that's what it is

They probably are not 100% sure themselves, but have started putting the endgame in motion, I feel. Easier to reverse course and continue on by not saying at this point.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using U2 Interference mobile app

I really don’t think they’re going to be the Rolling Stones. I think they treat new music and live performance in equal measure – they always say they need the songs to be there to get them out on the road, and I suspect there’s a bit of the reverse as well, the tour connection motivates the recording – and I think that will continue, i.e. they won’t continue making the music if/when they’re not going to be living and breathing it live the way they want, and they won’t be going on tour once they can’t get the songs up to scratch (for one reason or another, or by one definition or another). What I mean is – I can’t see U2 becoming a pure nostalgia-classic act where even if they’re releasing new music it is clearly not the point and purpose of the tour (and 360 ended up being very very close to this) and I can’t see them comfortably allowing themselves to become a smaller act. Can’t see them continuing to go on stadium tours off the back of only their back catalogue, and can’t see them happily tooling away on interesting music for a smaller audience. They’ll retire big music and big tours at the same time, and thus, U2 being U2, see no further point and retire the band.

So map it out, via their normal timeline. Tour 2015/2016, then a break, then hit the studio. That’s now taking longer than ever. Let’s say it doesn’t break another record and they turn around a release in 3yrs or less, that’s still likely 2019. Touring then and into the 2020’s, and their 60s? Not going to happen with this band. But it sounds pretty likely that this is not the timeline they’ll work to this time. I doubt they have a concrete plan, but I reckon they would almost certainly have one eye on it now at all times. And that’s why we might be looking at two quick-ish albums that thematically seem to create a career finale bookend, and probably one very comprehensive tour, and then they would feel they are then ready to wrap this thing up on their terms, and within this decade, if they so choose to. And my personal bet is that they do, i.e. U2 don't see out this decade.

Why do people think they can't go into their 60's? If they are still writing songs that are good enough then why not? There seems to be this idea that you can't possible like music from someone over 50 which I just find ridiculous

I really don’t think they’re going to be the Rolling Stones. I think they treat new music and live performance in equal measure – they always say they need the songs to be there to get them out on the road, and I suspect there’s a bit of the reverse as well, the tour connection motivates the recording – and I think that will continue, i.e. they won’t continue making the music if/when they’re not going to be living and breathing it live the way they want, and they won’t be going on tour once they can’t get the songs up to scratch (for one reason or another, or by one definition or another). What I mean is – I can’t see U2 becoming a pure nostalgia-classic act where even if they’re releasing new music it is clearly not the point and purpose of the tour (and 360 ended up being very very close to this) and I can’t see them comfortably allowing themselves to become a smaller act. Can’t see them continuing to go on stadium tours off the back of only their back catalogue, and can’t see them happily tooling away on interesting music for a smaller audience. They’ll retire big music and big tours at the same time, and thus, U2 being U2, see no further point and retire the band.

So map it out, via their normal timeline. Tour 2015/2016, then a break, then hit the studio. That’s now taking longer than ever. Let’s say it doesn’t break another record and they turn around a release in 3yrs or less, that’s still likely 2019. Touring then and into the 2020’s, and their 60s? Not going to happen with this band. But it sounds pretty likely that this is not the timeline they’ll work to this time. I doubt they have a concrete plan, but I reckon they would almost certainly have one eye on it now at all times. And that’s why we might be looking at two quick-ish albums that thematically seem to create a career finale bookend, and probably one very comprehensive tour, and then they would feel they are then ready to wrap this thing up on their terms, and within this decade, if they so choose to. And my personal bet is that they do, i.e. U2 don't see out this decade.

:up:

I also believe that these two or possibly three albums will be the band's swan song.

That's the first thing that occurred to me when the possibility of two additional albums surfaced. I don't want to think about it, but I've always known the back of my mind that we'd likely come to a point in our lives where there was no more U2 in any real sense of the word. :sad: For the time being, though, I'm not going to worry about what might be and how soon it may come to fruition - I'm going to obsessively listen to this damn good new album & be content.

And if it really was the last time round would Paul McGuinneee not just of hung around until the end?

And if it really was the last time round would Paul McGuinneee not just of hung around until the end?

Managers job does not end once the band is no longer active. Still plenty of interests to represent. U2 Inc. will still be coming for your cash. And I'd say the McG split was mutual anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Int

Back
Top Bottom