Farewell

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
To be honest, a Songs of Innocence and Songs of Experience combination sounds tailor-made to be a sign-off to me.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Exactly my point. The second one of this pair will come out and thats it. No more.
FArewell

Let's just enjoy the ride and see where it goes

It's what it looks like but you never know with all that vaulted music. If they retire we are still going to get more music.

Sent from my iPod touch using U2 Interference

Why do people think they can't go into their 60's? If they are still writing songs that are good enough then why not? There seems to be this idea that you can't possible like music from someone over 50 which I just find ridiculous

My sentiments exactly. The thing about u2 is that they never let the public dictate when to release stuff. They release music when they are free and ready. This means they can keep going until they physically can not produce music anymore.
Also didnt Larry once say something along the lines of ...."I can see the band packing it in some day but I can also see the band getting back together after 5 or 6 years to put some new music out"...
This quote stuck with me because it takes them 5 years to bloody put something out.

Does seem highly likely and logical that they won't continue beyond this decade, and that's even on the back of a new album where they sound as fresh as ever, and an album that in my opinion at least, is stronger than their last two, perhaps three albums.

Producing music isn't the issue however, it's more the touring. I think the last tour was a warning sign to the band that their not invincible music machines, with regards to Bono's health. The bands forever pushing the limits in terms of their live performances/tours, and that likely won't change, even if the next tour is more low-key. Point being, they'll become a point where the band simply can't keep pushing the limits/boundaries, touring wise, due to age and health. As others have stated, they won't settle for a plain, nostalgic tour on the back of their back catalogue, so it will either be a big tour in which either the set-up/format is as usual, different and innovative, or no tour at all.

The latter stages of the 360 tour really had a feel of the band nearing the end, so I'm convinced the next tour will be the last. Hopefully, I'm wrong, though.

I dont see them going through another long ass recording tumult. I get the sense that this was very hard on them, never mind how fresh the music sounds. Having watched From the Sky Down, I feel a new respect for the creative process these guys go through and I think this latest album was as difficult for them. In that respect it is their latter day AB, whether that is true in terms of quality will be clear to me maybe six months from now or after the first leg of the tour.
But no, I dont think it would be fair to expect guys in their mid to late 50s (by the time the tour is over) to go through all that again. I am not complaining, this latest release just reminded me how much this band has given to us... and if we end up with 14 crackerjack albums (and htdaab) then I will be more than happy. All good things come to an end.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using U2 Interference mobile app

Nope not the end.... beginning of the end, possibly? Anyone else think Songs of Experience is pretty much ready to release? I have a feeling if Bono mentioned a new album soon then said "I know you have heard that one before", he's been cautioned not to give false expectations again :hmm:

To be honest, a Songs of Innocence and Songs of Experience combination sounds tailor-made to be a sign-off to me.

This is a good point as well. I have a feeling they could release SoE before the tour starts.

I dont see them going through another long ass recording tumult. I am not complaining, this latest release just reminded me how much this band has given to us... and if we end up with 14 crackerjack albums (and htdaab) then I will be more than happy.

Same here.

No idea what the third title may be. Of normally be very skeptical of news like that, but I never in a million years thought they'd drop the album this Tuesday, so I'm a believer.

And yes, I also believe that these two or possibly three albums will be the band's swan song.

Exactly this :up: having them finish up like this:

Songs of Innocence
Songs of Experience
And a third (Songs of Ass-scent?)

seems a pretty epic thing to sign off with.

Songs of Innocence - "Where we were"
Songs of Experience - "Where we are"
Songs of Ascent - "Where we are headed"
U2's albums have always been bunched in trio's.

Raised by wolves now playing here :drool:

I have no thoughts about the ending of U2 after hearing this album. In fact, it is a long time since I felt (from the music) a hunger like this. I feel they gave it all, and boy am I excited. Think about the tour. Not ONE filler - all songs are great. And new!

Another thought I keep having about this being the start of the end. This album deals with topics Bono and U2 have dealt with before, but with a directness they have never used before. The are songs simply called "Iris" and "The Troubles," for goodness sake. This sounds like a band wrapping things up and making sure everything is clear. This is a summation statement.

I don't know.

Volcano doesn't sound like the kind of track you'd put on your last album.

I don't know.

Volcano doesn't sound like the kind of track you'd put on your last album.

That's what I keep thinking, this album doesn't sound like a band willing to call it quits, it sounds like a band that wants to prove you can still be at the top of your game despite age, ok they might wind down the big grand globe trotting tours, but I can still see them making music and playing live to some degree, I really can.

And anyway, this thread is so morbid despite a new album coming out (I know we always get a thread like this at the start of an album cycle), but cant we just enjoy the music and see where it goes? rather than predicting doom.

I've seen stupid, and yes forgive my candor but that's what it is, stupid claims that we were just getting U2's final album for ATYCLB, HTDAAB, NLOTH, Soi, and now Soe/Soa.

It's nonsense.

There are only 3 reasons for U2 to ever wrap it up:

1. No one wants to listen to them anymore.

2. They're creatively dead (REM syndrome.)

3. Outside forces give them no choice.

I haven't yet decided where the new album falls in the pantheon of best to worst U2 albums, but there's no denying its fire. This is not a last gasp, a last charge. This is a band standing on a piece of land above a volcano.

I expect another 1-2 albums over the course of the next 2 years, and then another album around 2020. And then, if they're still inspired? If they're still physically able? If people will still listen? I expect we may be lucky enough to get even more.

They haven't seemed this vibrant since 1988. I'll say it: 1988. Even on Achtung Baby, it seemed like they had to fight to get their masterpieces. Whereas this all sounds effortless.

Half the people on this thread will be dead before U2 is done.

That's what I keep thinking, this album doesn't sound like a band willing to call it quits, it sounds like a band that wants to prove you can still be at the top of your game despite age, ok they might wind down the big grand globe trotting tours, but I can still see them making music and playing live to some degree, I really can.

And anyway, this thread is so morbid despite a new album coming out (I know we always get a thread like this at the start of an album cycle), but cant we just enjoy the music and see where it goes? rather than predicting doom.

I dont know about others but I am not predicting doom. I am loving this new album and my thinking this may be their last cycle (whether it has two or three albums in it) has nothing to do with its quality. After a long time they sound like they are on top of their game.
I was just wondering how long they can keep doing this. It is quite tough. And as a fan I'd want to be prepared when they do decide to stop being u2 as we have known them for the last 30+ years.

I've seen stupid, and yes forgive my candor but that's what it is, stupid claims that we were just getting U2's final album for ATYCLB, HTDAAB, NLOTH, Soi, and now Soe/Soa.

It's nonsense.

There are only 3 reasons for U2 to ever wrap it up:

1. No one wants to listen to them anymore.

2. They're creatively dead (REM syndrome.)

3. Outside forces give them no choice.

I haven't yet decided where the new album falls in the pantheon of best to worst U2 albums, but there's no denying its fire. This is not a last gasp, a last charge. This is a band standing on a piece of land above a volcano.

I expect another 1-2 albums over the course of the next 2 years, and then another album around 2020. And then, if they're still inspired? If they're still physically able? If people will still listen? I expect we may be lucky enough to get even more.

They haven't seemed this vibrant since 1988. I'll say it: 1988. Even on Achtung Baby, it seemed like they had to fight to get their masterpieces. Whereas this all sounds effortless.

Half the people on this thread will be dead before U2 is done.

My second point is your third. Outside forces give them no choice. They seem like very grounded people (even Bono to an extent) and soon enough life may just catch up. I dont think its a morbid thing though. I am just delighted they are giving us high quality songs at this stage.

I dont however believe they will stop altogether. As someone mentioned larry saying, they will probably get together at some point and make some more beautiful music but them being the biggest band on the planet might just end when they are done releasing the results of this apparently very productive period. The songs on this album seem to me like they are a part of an arsenal that they have formed over the past 5-7 years of playing together.

EDIT: oh and Niceman, I guess what I am saying is I doubt the 2020 forecast. But I would love to be wrong

I dont know about others but I am not predicting doom. I am loving this new album and my thinking this may be their last cycle (whether it has two or three albums in it) has nothing to do with its quality. After a long time they sound like they are on top of their game.
I was just wondering how long they can keep doing this. It is quite tough. And as a fan I'd want to be prepared when they do decide to stop being u2 as we have known them for the last 30+ years.

My second point is your third. Outside forces give them no choice. They seem like very grounded people (even Bono to an extent) and soon enough life may just catch up. I dont think its a morbid thing though. I am just delighted they are giving us high quality songs at this stage.

I dont however believe they will stop altogether. As someone mentioned larry saying, they will probably get together at some point and make some more beautiful music but them being the biggest band on the planet might just end when they are done releasing the results of this apparently very productive period. The songs on this album seem to me like they are a part of an arsenal that they have formed over the past 5-7 years ofnplaying together.

Outside forces may do something or they may not. The comet can strike us all at any time. But then again, it might not come. There's no point focusing on a vague and nebulous threat.

This is a creative rebirth and gives us every reason to expect A LOT more material. Rejoice!

(BTW, did you see the interview with Guy? He said the retail version will have 9-11 more tracks!!!!!!)

Seriously? Link please

So could it be that the retail version will be a double album with songs of experience the second one??

Dont take this seriously. Dreaming out loud. Too much is not enough.

But could it?

So could it be that the retail version will be a double album with songs of experience the second one??

Dont take this seriously. Dreaming out loud. Too much is not enough.

But could it?

No, at the end of the day, Soi will be around 20 tracks. THEN we can look forward to Soe, and maybe next year? :applaud:

Back
Top Bottom