Everything Great about SOI Era

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CosmoKramer

Rock n' Roll Doggie
With every U2 album comes something new that may or may not add to U2s legacy. With SOI, what are the best things that have come from it so far?

For me:

1-Surprise album release! U2 is not good at keeping secrets from its devoted fan base. I have never sat back and said "wow, didn't see that coming". Yet, this album being released on 9/9 was a shock. I had a strong feeling we would get a performance and a new single but not an entire album with NO leaks! Since POP, I have always counted down the days and even hours to the release of a new album. The anticipation growing with each passing day and each little tidbit of info on various songs. I love that feeling but U2 pulled one on me and it is a day I will never forget!

2-The album was FREE! So, my favorite artist is releasing new material that I would gladly hand over my hard earned cash for and they are just giving it to me? Ok....thanks!

3- Every Breaking Wave(album cut). This is a classic song and quickly rising into my top 20 overall U2 songs. They hit a home run here and after hearing the 360 version, this version is superior and is just beautiful!

4-This is where you can Reach me Now. What a really cool tune and is filled with so much energy that it just makes you want to turn up the volume to 11!

5-Iris. The last half of the song is amazing and it is a great addition to the U2 family of songs(by far my favorite about his mother)

6-The Troubles. I'm not a big fan of this song myself but that doesn't mean I don't realize that it is a very good tune. I also love the fact that there is a "guest" vocalist singing the chorus as its a really nice change of pace(Lykke Li really compliments the song).

7-The Crystal Ballroom. One of the funkiest U2 songs there has ever been.

8-Every Breaking Wave EMA Performance. I don't like acoustic performances but this was fabulous. Bono hitting all the notes(what passion) and Larry walking through the light to pound the drums was one hell of a moment(even the forgotten lyric moment couldn't ruin this performance).

9- Song for Someone/SFS Graham Norton Performance. I really love this song (I know, I'm in the minority here) and the acoustic performance on Norton was very good(not epic a la Super Bowl performance or Walk On at the Grammys but very good nevertheless)

10-The Late Late Show (I think that's what it's called) interview. I really enjoyed hearing the stories that Bono and Edge shared about Edges mom and when they were younger. Don't know what it was but this interview felt like we were listening to Paul and Dave tell stories and not their larger than life personas.

11-The possibility/talk of SOE! Yeah, it may never happen but the fact that I truly love SOI makes just being teased about a potential follow up feel so great!!!!!!

More to come for this album...I just know it!

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference

Thank you :)

I loved most of the promo tour, especially the EMA version of Every Breaking Wave and the Graham Norton version of Song For Someone. I just like the passion and rawness of many of these acoustic performances.

And I think the second half of SOI is among the best things U2 have ever done.

The entire promo tour debacle last year and Bono's faceplant has given us many new Interfernce memes and jokes. Leo included. That's pretty nice.

With every U2 album comes something new that may or may not add to U2s legacy. With SOI, what are the best things that have come from it so far?

For me:

1-Surprise album release! U2 is not good at keeping secrets from its devoted fan base. I have never sat back and said "wow, didn't see that coming". Yet, this album being released on 9/9 was a shock. I had a strong feeling we would get a performance and a new single but not an entire album with NO leaks! Since POP, I have always counted down the days and even hours to the release of a new album. The anticipation growing with each passing day and each little tidbit of info on various songs. I love that feeling but U2 pulled one on me and it is a day I will never forget!

2-The album was FREE! So, my favorite artist is releasing new material that I would gladly hand over my hard earned cash for and they are just giving it to me? Ok....thanks!

3- Every Breaking Wave(album cut). This is a classic song and quickly rising into my top 20 overall U2 songs. They hit a home run here and after hearing the 360 version, this version is superior and is just beautiful!

4-This is where you can Reach me Now. What a really cool tune and is filled with so much energy that it just makes you want to turn up the volume to 11!

5-Iris. The last half of the song is amazing and it is a great addition to the U2 family of songs(by far my favorite about his mother)

6-The Troubles. I'm not a big fan of this song myself but that doesn't mean I don't realize that it is a very good tune. I also love the fact that there is a "guest" vocalist singing the chorus as its a really nice change of pace(Lykke Li really compliments the song).

7-The Crystal Ballroom. One of the funkiest U2 songs there has ever been.

8-Every Breaking Wave EMA Performance. I don't like acoustic performances but this was fabulous. Bono hitting all the notes(what passion) and Larry walking through the light to pound the drums was one hell of a moment(even the forgotten lyric moment couldn't ruin this performance).

9- Song for Someone/SFS Graham Norton Performance. I really love this song (I know, I'm in the minority here) and the acoustic performance on Norton was very good(not epic a la Super Bowl performance or Walk On at the Grammys but very good nevertheless)

10-The Late Late Show (I think that's what it's called) interview. I really enjoyed hearing the stories that Bono and Edge shared about Edges mom and when they were younger. Don't know what it was but this interview felt like we were listening to Paul and Dave tell stories and not their larger than life personas.

11-The possibility/talk of SOE! Yeah, it may never happen but the fact that I truly love SOI makes just being teased about a potential follow up feel so great!!!!!!

More to come for this album...I just know it!

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference

:applaud::up::rockon:

Some disjointed thoughts:

California is the best song they've made since Pop in terms of songwriting, musicianship, and production.

The album overall is at least as good as ATYCLB, if not better.

For someone who was convinced the band was done writing genuinely good songs after the two shitstains that were HTDAAB and NLOTH, this album really crushed my expectations.

Watching the Apple event on my day off from work and chatting with you guys in here as it was happening is something I won't soon forget.

The fact that I still really like this album and listen to it semi-regularly six months after its release is pretty awesome. By this time I was starting to dislike HTDAAB, and had already written off NLOTH.

The entire promo tour debacle last year and Bono's faceplant has given us many new Interfernce memes and jokes. Leo included. That's pretty nice.

Really? The Leo thing annoys me to no end, but that's probably because I wasn't reading whatever thread it was invented it, so it confused me for awhile.

But yeah, good things include:

- Some decent songs, like The Miracle, EBW, California, Iris, and The Troubles.

- Promo tour performances that looked pretty promising.

- I saved $10?

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Probably something you had to be there to find it funny or something. :wink: It was funny when it just happened, now it's starting to be dragged on too long, but it was funny at some point. Or maybe I'm just easily amused.

Really? The Leo thing annoys me to no end, but that's probably because I wasn't reading whatever thread it was invented it, so it confused me for awhile.

Oh I think Leo is one of the best memes ever here.

And yes I may have started it but would think it hilarious even if deep had started it

Probably something you had to be there to find it funny or something. :wink: It was funny when it just happened, now it's starting to be dragged on too long, but it was funny at some point. Or maybe I'm just easily amused.

Yeah, I think I'm just basically an outsider to an inside joke. It's probably no more annoying than all of the other Interference inside jokes, whose origins I witnessed. I love the coma thing, for instance. But I'm sure an outsider would be bamboozled by it.

Leo is the most stupid thing I´ve ever heard here, worse than statements Pop is underappreacitaed classic a or that ATYCLB was their masterpiece :)

Leo is the most stupid thing I´ve ever heard here, worse than statements Pop is underappreacitaed classic a or that ATYCLB was their masterpiece :)

You've obviously not been here long enough then. :D There's been so much stupid shit over the years, this is far from the worst.

Invisible, Reach, EBW, Crystal Ballroom are 4/5 best songs they've made in the 2000s era. (TCB is the best, MOS and Reach are in a tight battle for #2)
The release was amazing.
The commercial was really cool.
The album is great.
RBW is their best lyrical song since Please.
This is Adam's best album. Volcano, Reach, Troubles, TCB, Iris, etc. are some of his best work.

Back
Top Bottom