Every Breaking Wave Will Be U2's Biggest Global Smash Hit Since Magnificent

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Heard the regular old asskicking album version at my local beer/wine shop here in Chicago tonight. Don't know if it was radio or the in- house music machine. Considering they've normally got modern power metal or jam bands playing... Well I have no idea what all of this means. Gonna crack one of the stouts I bought and pump up the jams (album version).

Magnificent is a turd of a song with maybe the most boring verses U2 have composed in their whole career and a solo from The Edge that screams "I've completely run out of ideas."

I know this is a joke thread but fuck it, I'm hungover.

Most boring U2 = Grace not Magnificent. As far as Magnificent is concerned, I don't mind a Pride retread as it was great source material.

Grace and EPAA are literally the two albums tracks when listening to, I cannot make it the whole way through without changing the song. I don't even do that for the much criticized SUC or Boots because despite being cheesy and full of awful lyrics, at least they are mildly entertaining.

What a difference a year makes... Last year we had the iTunes release of "Invisible" during the Super bowl. This year we get a lo-fi radio rip of "Every Breaking Wave" (single mix) on YouTube...

What a difference a year makes... Last year we had the iTunes release of "Invisible" during the Super bowl. This year we get a lo-fi radio rip of "Every Breaking Wave" (single mix) on YouTube...

Uh, yeah, but they also surprised released their album within that year. Not quite sure this party gets any pity.

Guys! Bono is in L.A. because he's both finishing the last vocal track for SOE but he's also appearing at the Grammy's........all while in a coma!

Uh, yeah, but they also surprised released their album within that year. Not quite sure this party gets any pity.

It's not a pity party but an obvious observation that this past year, the band is off track and mismanaged. But you can revel in the botched release of EBW if you want.

Wait, are you arguing that the Invisible debacle wasn't exactly that? That was some of the worst management I've ever seen. Who doesn't release an album within that small window?

Grace is Ace.

I'm just going to say that everytime someone badmouths Grace.

After spending years reading your critiques of the band and it's songs, and not always agreeing with you, but still trying to understand your perspective, I can honestly say this is one of the most befuddling things I've read from you.

To me, Grace isn't even worthy of active dislike...it's just so bland. The blandiest bland that ever blanded.

Wait, are you arguing that the Invisible debacle wasn't exactly that? That was some of the worst management I've ever seen. Who doesn't release an album within that small window?

Right, I agree, but it's only gotten worse is my point; hence the "new single" being only available because someone put it on YouTube.

I wasn't around here this time last year to know the details of what actually happened, but is it possible that is around the time the Apple deal first started to germinate? Maybe they were ready to release it and decided Apple had a better offer and held it back 6 months until the keynote. If the choice was between releasing it like normal and taking the risk of a failure in the open market, vs taking a guaranteed huge payday with the built in publicity, instant reach (for better or worse) and marketing power of a brand like Apple, maybe it really was a great managerial decision for the band. :shrug:

It didn't really work out the way they had hoped, clearly. But what if they had released it like normal in March, and it flopped? That would have a ripple effect through the tour as well, and the band itself could have been in big trouble.

I wasn't around here this time last year to know the details of what actually happened, but is it possible that is around the time the Apple deal first started to germinate? Maybe they were ready to release it and decided Apple had a better offer and held it back 6 months until the keynote. If the choice was between releasing it like normal and taking the risk of a failure in the open market, vs taking a guaranteed huge payday with the built in publicity, instant reach (for better or worse) and marketing power of a brand like Apple, maybe it really was a great managerial decision for the band. :shrug:

It didn't really work out the way they had hoped, clearly. But what if they had released it like normal in March, and it flopped? That would have a ripple effect through the tour as well, and the band itself could have been in big trouble.

All reports, both from the band's mouths in interviews and from reputable sources (not ones here) on music websites point to the band planning on releasing an album in early 2014 of all Danger Mouse tracks, getting cold feet, scrapping the idea and going out to get epworth and tedder to help them finish.

The band says they finished the album the week before the iTunes release, and that the plan came together very quickly, but that's very difficult to believe, as the Apple rumors began after the video shoot when Julian Lennon spilled the beans, which happened weeks before the actual release.

It's not a pity party but an obvious observation that this past year, the band is off track and mismanaged. But you can revel in the botched release of EBW if you want.

The Ordinary Love performances + Invisible commercial + Fallon promotion = far worse management than anything that happened September on.

Bono's injury really fucked things up, and that's just out of everybody's hands. Last year? Band's fault. This year? Just bad luck.

The Ordinary Love performances + Invisible commercial + Fallon promotion = far worse management than anything that happened September on.

Bono's injury really fucked things up, and that's just out of everybody's hands. Last year? Band's fault. This year? Just bad luck.

It's been a constant trainwreck since last year.

Yes, it's gone horrible for them. Sold out shows. Fans still care. More people than ever where talking about U2.

Why is every one on here concerned with the business side of things? When did that become part of a fan base?

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Well the band cares about the business aspects (relevance) and many fans want their favorite band to be successful and operate with positive results as well upholding their legacy...

So consider these facts:

Not all the arena shows are sellouts. So that's semi-sold out arenas after selling out stadiums
600,000 units sold worldwide (you'd think 81 million listeners might pick up the
physical edition for that 2nd disc or just to support the effort, but they didn't...)
No Facebook fan increase
The subjects of ridicule
Films of Innocence came and went hardly noticed with some embarrassing errors - check out the Volcano video
No charting singles - nor any proper effort like a single or video for EBW
Only one grammy nomination for an album that deserves better.

No one in their right mind thought films would take off or that they would sell a lot of copies of a FREE album.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

The better U2 does financially, the better I do financially.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Probably not a good thing that everytime I hear this song on the radio, I feel like I should mention it.

Back
Top Bottom