Eno said...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
No, the Stuck bet was "biggest U2 hit in the US".

Same hype, different formulation. Biggest this, best that, greatest ever, yadda-yadda. First two weeks or two months of listening when we´re talking about a band as catchy as U2, sure. It all comes down to one thing; will this record have that same longevity that U2´s best records have? Will it avoid the HTDAAB syndrome?

Somehow I sincerely doubt it. But I hope to hell I am wrong.

Biggest hit is one thing, best/greatest song another. It is both hype but there's a difference.

Biggest hit is one thing, best/greatest song another. It is both hype but there's a difference.

All I´m saying is that it follows the same pattern. Practically every single musician/artist tends to often overhype his new material. And who can blame him? What I find funny is the overanalyzing of these obviously biased statements.

Brian Eno's definition of 'Best U2 song' may not be the same as yours or mine. He might as well refer to Elvis Presley and America...

Nothing wrong with that one, though :)

True, but when's the last time U2's producers praised the albums this much ? It's curios that the band, on the other hand, has been less vocal and definitely more vague compared to All that... or Bomb.

True, but when's the last time U2's producers praised the albums this much ? It's curios that the band, on the other hand, has been less vocal and definitely more vague compared to All that... or Bomb.

As I recall, Lillywhite was full of praise for The Bomb in 2004. About the band being less vocal... to an extent, yeah. But Bono is still full of it with "molten metal", "this record sounds like nothing you´ve heard before" and so on.

Anyway, I´ll be laughing my ass off if in one year there´s a thread here like: "Moment of Surrender the best U2 song? Whatever."

I still hope I´m wrong, though. :wink:

Maybe. He also said it's a slow song with a great atmosphere so that may be a little hint as to the sound.

Moment of surrender is the first song I'll listen to when the album comes out.

I have a gospel theme feeling with these titles: One bird, For your love, Moment of surrender, No line on the horizon. Maybe started with WITS.

Moment of Surrender will only be the first song I listen to from the new album only if it is track 1. I'm listening to that puppy all the way through from start to finish.

and I feel that WITS was one last grand hoorah of the ATYCLB/HTDAAB era and any slow songs we get from the new album will be totally different...maybe something as good as "One". We can only hope.

I hope WITS is not the musical direction they are heading in. That song for me stank of cheese.

Oh please don't use too many acronyms! My brain just can't cope with them, :lol:

I go blank everytime I see them, esp the long ones... ISHFWILF, SIAMYCGOO, SYCMIOYO...

Come on, give me a break!!! I spend most of my time looking at U2 discography sites trying to find WTF everyone is talking about

:reject:

Oh please don't use too many acronyms! My brain just can't cope with them, :lol:

I go blank everytime I see them, esp the long ones... ISHFWILF, SIAMYCGOO, SYCMIOYO...

Come on, give me a break!!! I spend most of my time looking at U2 discography sites trying to find WTF everyone is talking about

:reject:

i like that you used an acronym in your complaint about acronyms.

MOS could easily be confused with WOS.

U2 should make a record with songs that have the same initials and the same number of words in the title. Just imagine the chaos these acronyms would cause here.

Agreed.

Did you read the RS interview with Chris Martin? Martin discusses how Eno basically told them they were no good; later in the interview, the interviewer asks Martin about a favorite line and Martin recalls that Eno actually wrote that one.

In any case, it's good music.

I know this is making a leap, but I was just listening to the beach clip 'All My Life', where the chorus goes something like 'I've been waiting for, this moment I'm in'. I know this is one of the songs they had pre-Rubin, and I know it's been stated that none of Rubins material went forward to Eno/Lanois. Maybe someone can tell me if this is a song which was given to Rubin later on, or if they kept it and perhaps presented it to Eno.

I can see Eno taking this song and making it super-atmospheric. From what I can gather from the limited lyrics we've taken from it, the theme seems to match a moment of surrender, that moment Bono sings about in the chorus that he's been waiting for where he can finally let go of whatever insecurity or shelter he's been hiding in. Perhaps Eno has taken this song and reworked it a bit, because I can see him really loving this song for it's depth and potential. However, it does sound like early 2000's U2, but maybe Eno has reworked the sound and feel of it, as well...

Again, just a leap, but the chorus instantly reminded me of the title Eno had thrown out there.

I know this is making a leap, but I was just listening to the beach clip 'All My Life', where the chorus goes something like 'I've been waiting for, this moment I'm in'. I know this is one of the songs they had pre-Rubin, and I know it's been stated that none of Rubins material went forward to Eno/Lanois. Maybe someone can tell me if this is a song which was given to Rubin later on, or if they kept it and perhaps presented it to Eno.

I can see Eno taking this song and making it super-atmospheric. From what I can gather from the limited lyrics we've taken from it, the theme seems to match a moment of surrender, that moment Bono sings about in the chorus that he's been waiting for where he can finally let go of whatever insecurity or shelter he's been hiding in. Perhaps Eno has taken this song and reworked it a bit, because I can see him really loving this song for it's depth and potential. However, it does sound like early 2000's U2, but maybe Eno has reworked the sound and feel of it, as well...

Again, just a leap, but the chorus instantly reminded me of the title Eno had thrown out there.

This actually sounds like a really great possibility. Not that the chance that it's true is that good, but I agree it could be amazing if they did rework that song a bit with Eno. I could care less about the verses and whatnot, but what a fucking chorus that song had. It'd be a damn shame if such a great chorus was just completely scrapped. Hopefully we'll wind up seeing it in one incarnation or another. I mean, I liked the song alright initially from the beach clip (and like I said, LOVED the chorus), but the possibilities the Enofication of this song brings are just droolworthy, if you will. :drool:

Eno knows a lot about music however his taste in music generally doesnt jive with the general population. But what he says about it will make it worth the listen because hes done at least 100 songs with U2 being conservative and if this is the best one in his ears that is great.

Back
Top Bottom