Edge's latest comment about new album

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

burningedge101

The Fly
This from gigwise.com:

U2 'Starting To Get Serious About New Album'
But it won't be out anytime soon...

by Jason Gregory
23 April 2008

More U2

Next Gig
23 May 2008 - U2 JOSHUA U2 TRIBUTE @ Glasgow - Rockers

U2 Guitarist The Edge has revealed that the band are starting to get serious about their as-yet-untitled new album.

As previously reported, the band have been recording the LP at their home studio in Dublin alongside Brian Eno.

Speaking to the Associated Press, The Edge wouldn’t be drawn on the album’s sound or a release date, only to say that it won't be released “in the next few months.”

"We went into this project allowing ourselves the indulgence of making music without thinking about where it was going to end up," he said.

"We're starting to get serious now."

Meanwhile, The Edge has confirmed that he has donated a number of personal items, including two Gibson guitars, to an auction benefiting Music Rising.

The charity, which was co-founded by the guitarist, raises money to replace musical equipment lost or destroyed by Hurricane Katrina.

"A lot of musicians were forced to leave the city, leaving behind their instruments and record collections, everything they needed to do what they do," The Edge explained.

http://www.gigwise.com/news/42609/u2-starting-to-get-serious-about-new-album

Non-descriptive sound bites about the new album, yay!

At least they're talking about it though, right? We'll probably start seeing more constant chatter about it in the coming months leading up to all the usual announcements.

Such a waste. Edge manages to say nothing, while saying something.

Quit being so scared of fucking deadlines!!!!!!

BEAL said:

umm...personally I don't blame them...what's your problem? :huh:

That's basically what he said before. There seems to be a veil of secrecy around this new U2 album. Sounds like they're really into the creative process. We're all in for a big surprise.

He may not give out dates but I still believe Mcguiness, Bono, Lanois and Adam on October (Fall) 2008.
And that's not really “in the next few months" either.

U2girl said:
He may not give out dates but I still believe Mcguiness, Bono, Lanois and Adam on October (Fall) 2008.
And that's not really “in the next few months" either.

Correct. next few months is the summer to me. the fall is when it's being released.

Rob33 said:

umm...personally I don't blame them...what's your problem? :huh:

Because for the biggest band in the world, we get the least amount of information. I love them to death, but this is one of the few things that annoys me with them.

It's like it has to be this well guarded secret, if any sort of info gets out, they're afraid it'll be twisted and will hurt sales (Bono calling Pop a dense record, and people thought he said DANCE).

At least with other bands you get to hear about the sounds, and the direction. All we know is they're getting lost in the music, it's hand played electro music, and they don't know when it'll be done.

BEAL said:

Because for the biggest band in the world, we get the least amount of information. I love them to death, but this is one of the few things that annoys me with them.

It's like it has to be this well guarded secret, if any sort of info gets out, they're afraid it'll be twisted and will hurt sales (Bono calling Pop a dense record, and people thought he said DANCE).

At least with other bands you get to hear about the sounds, and the direction. All we know is they're getting lost in the music, it's hand played electro music, and they don't know when it'll be done.

I agree. I think U2 could do a lot more to communicate with the fans that they so often tell us they dearly love. What's wrong with some occasional updates from the band themselves?

Sometimes the creative process suffers if you give away too much. Some consider it a bad sign. Writers usually don't give away the story they're working on either before the book is finished.

Maybe they just want to spend some time alone, with each other, as a band, and with the music and see what direction it's taking. Giving away too much can also lead to the fans being disappointed because in the end they may find out that the music isn't what they had expected. People need to have some trust and patience.

I agree giving away too much would lead to dissapointment, especially considering how often U2 changes a song.

I know the articles from U2.com last year were pretty good. Telling us the band were exploring different sounds, and Larry was drumming in different times (even though I still think it'll end up in the standard 4/4 :wink: ).

Bono created a lot of hype with ATYCLB & HTDAAB by saying Edge is on fire, or that it's punk rock on venus.

What I would like to hear (and of course it's just my opinion) is something like :

Bono is diving into poetry, or some form of literature to gain inspiration for his own writing. He's moving away from the direct/literal aspect that has driven the past 2 albums.

That doesn't tell me what the songs are about, or what they sound like, but I can start to paint a picture in my head of where the music is going.

Hearing Edge is on fire, or is in love with the guitar doesn't tell me a lot....considering he is the guitarist.

I personally just feel that for being a band that prides themselves on being on the edge of technology, and marketing, that we don't get a few more snippets of what's going on.

I feel it's fear of a backlash.

I just want the new music!!!! On the other hand, waiting so long for new U2 helps me get into other music while a wait.

BEAL said:
I agree giving away too much would lead to dissapointment, especially considering how often U2 changes a song.

I know the articles from U2.com last year were pretty good. Telling us the band were exploring different sounds, and Larry was drumming in different times (even though I still think it'll end up in the standard 4/4 :wink: ).

Bono created a lot of hype with ATYCLB & HTDAAB by saying Edge is on fire, or that it's punk rock on venus.

What I would like to hear (and of course it's just my opinion) is something like :

Bono is diving into poetry, or some form of literature to gain inspiration for his own writing. He's moving away from the direct/literal aspect that has driven the past 2 albums.

That doesn't tell me what the songs are about, or what they sound like, but I can start to paint a picture in my head of where the music is going.

Hearing Edge is on fire, or is in love with the guitar doesn't tell me a lot....considering he is the guitarist.

I personally just feel that for being a band that prides themselves on being on the edge of technology, and marketing, that we don't get a few more snippets of what's going on.

I feel it's fear of a backlash.

I just want the new music!!!! On the other hand, waiting so long for new U2 helps me get into other music while a wait.

ok, fair enough...but in regards to an actual deadline...you mention "the biggest band in the world," and that's exactly why telling fans/media a set deadline immediately places constraints on the band- what if something comes up last minute? and then they cut something short cause of some deadline....i mean we could go on and on about the "what if....?" but why should a band of U2's stature be pressured to put out an album by a certain date...it just doesn't make sense, and as fans, we sure don't want any aspect of the album to feel rushed...

we as fans need to exercise patience and understand the band's motives...their decisions are calculated and they know what they're doing- let them be, they've gotten this far, let 'em go! Put away your expectations, enjoy your life, and enjoy all the other good music in this world along with U2's in the meantime! It's interesting but I think the amount of time between U2 albums has helped the band in the long run....U2's music seems to never fail in the relevance category, and the passion is always there. As a result, fans stay loyal and true....as time progresses in between albums, fans become more eager, more curious, and more desperate, which all equates to a bigger bang when the album finally hits the shelves :)

I agree U2 could do more in terms of communication with the fans, especially with technology these days...but if we're talking about how U2 treats their fans in general, I'd say pretty damn good. :yes:

Last edited:
I do agree, I think this comment from the Edge is kind of frustrating. I mean, why say anything if you know it's just going to be kind of depressing for the fans. Just say that we're working on it or something, not something as dire as it's not coming out anytime soon.

Look out for some real news in about two months or so.

The first real big ATYCLB/HTDAAB articles both appeared around late June/early July. I'd have to dig around but I believe both albums were reported as completed within about 10 days of each other.

Yes, of course nothing says they have to follow the same path again but if it's not broke, why fix it?

bono_212 said:
I do agree, I think this comment from the Edge is kind of frustrating. I mean, why say anything if you know it's just going to be kind of depressing for the fans.
because he was asked a question?

Edge just said that it won't be out in the next few months, which is consistent with what we've heard all along - that it's slated for a fall '08 release. The anytime soon comment was inserted by the reporter.

BEAL said:

:wink:

And to quote the Edge, himself: "there is nothing that focuses the mind like a rapidly-approaching deadline."

I appreciate the fact that U2 are rock gods, and that they don't have to answer to anyone, but it's hard not to think back to the early days of rock n roll, when bands were lucky enough to be able to buy just TWO DAYS of studio time, and they'd practice, then record the album in 48 hours, and then release it! Christ, even Led Zeppelin used to do this on their early records, if memory serves.

C'mon, U2 -- sack up!

I just think they are trying to keep down traffic. :wink:
You know if they released even a little snippet of when they might be putting out a single or the actual album they would be swarmed with people and or reporters at the studio - on their phones and at their homes and everywhere else they go.

They can't even breath the word "release" without the music world, going crazy.
and the fans.. well we know how we are.. :lol:

I, as much as any fan out there would like to know what direction they are going in but when you look at it from a band's point of view. Lets say they said they were making a heavy electronic album and it came out to be a htdaab with more acoustic. Everybody would be let down and hate the album for the fact that they didn't get what they were expecting all along. Its kinda like us finding about the unreleased songs from HTDAAB... now it makes us loook at the album that 'could have been' rather than what it is now. It won't change... Just imagine what stuff they might have thrown away from other albums that could of made us second guess their greatness....

I dunno... we all can't wait... i got alot of artists this year im looking out for so i am super excited!! And this year or next year will be my first concert of any band so yay!!

Back
Top Bottom