Early song rankings

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'd say my biggest riser right now is California....like cracking the top 3. The biggest drop is Every Breaking Wave.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

I'd say my biggest riser right now is California....like cracking the top 3. The biggest drop is Every Breaking Wave.

California is a really fun tune and despite its "pop" feel, it actually has solid lyrics and a pretty deep meaning. I think its # 3 for me at the moment and only because Adam is a boss on TIWYCRM(or as you call it "reach around), which is #2 at the moment.

EBW is still my number one and may always be, I think it might be that "classic" that everyone is saying is missing from the album (too early to tell).

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference

California is a really fun tune and despite its "pop" feel, it actually has solid lyrics and a pretty deep meaning. I think its # 3 for me at the moment and only because Adam is a boss on TIWYCRM(or as you call it "reach around), which is #2 at the moment.

EBW is still my number one and may always be, I think it might be that "classic" that everyone is saying is missing from the album (too early to tell).

Yeah. Reach Around is still my clear #1. Then Iris, then California.

I think I overdid EBW at first because I was so fucking excited that it was on the album. I do agree that it could be a classic. The first two songs I mentioned are absolute classics in my mind. Iris hits me hard and Reach Around is a musicgasm if I ever heard one.

I can't rank them anymore, that's how much the songs have grown on me (maybe the only exception being Raised by Wolves - it hasn't advanced as much as the other songs have).

Raised by Wolves
Iris
Volcano
Sleep Like a Baby Tonight
California
Every Breaking Wave
The Miracle
The Troubles
Song For Someone
This Is Where You Can Reach Me Now
Cedarwood Road

Same here. EBW was my early #1, but it's now my #10. California was last, now it's 2nd.

You've always been a big fan of Invisible (as I am but I wouldn't out it 1st..top 5 easy and maybe top 3). I'm curious what you (we) think of the album cut, assuming its the full version, which I have to believe it is.

As good as a song as it is, imagine a slightly extended opening, extra two verses, slightly extended ending and.....drums! I mean....Larry drums....real pounding deep sounding drums! Song might be epic.......we'll see.

I'm still heartbroken that it's not on the actual album. 12 songs isn't too long, and if they need to cut a song they could've just cut Raised By Wolves. Sorry the song just isn't going for me. It's a decent song, but would be better resorted to the 2nd disc of material. And it has no live potential whatsoever. The chorus is just too awful for me, I mean c'mon "raised by wolves". The same band that wrote such amazing political songs like SBS, Please, and North and South. And the best chorus they got is raised by wolves. Just too cheesy and cliche for my liking.

[Ducks for cover]

This is tough -- I like all of the songs on the album. Really, really great album, up in the top tier of U2's discography. This is my best stab at the order for now:

1. The Miracle
2. Troubles
3. Iris
4. Cedarwood Road
5. Every Breaking Wave
6. Volcano
7. California
8. Sleep Like a Baby Tonight
9. This Is Where You Can Reach Me Now
10. Song for Someone
11. Raised By Wolves

I know not many people put The Miracle at the top of their list, but it's my kind of song. Great energy, a lot of fun, with interesting twists and turns.

Such a quality, quality record, if Sleep Like a Baby Tonight comes in at 8th place on my list.

Big fan of this album. No obvious great hits but tons of very good songs that fits one album well. It does feel like an album not a collection of songs. The best since Zooropa. That being said, it's hard for me to classify these songs but for sure, overall, it's the second part that I prefer:

1. Sleep Like a Baby Tonight
2. Every Breaking Wave
3. Troubles
4. This Is Where You Can Reach Me Now
5. The Miracle
6. Cedarwood Road
7. Raised By Wolves
8. Volcano
9. Iris
10. California
11. Song for Someone

Ok, I've now listened the album roughly 20 times. And if possible I like it even more than before. I'm sure this will be a future classic. Right up there with JT and AB.

However I've found two songs that I have skipped during the last 5 listens. SfS and Volcano. SfS is just too weak and Volcano's chorus is painfully bad. All other songs are just GREAT.

This is tough -- I like all of the songs on the album. Really, really great album, up in the top tier of U2's discography. This is my best stab at the order for now:

1. The Miracle
2. Troubles
3. Iris
4. Cedarwood Road
5. Every Breaking Wave
6. Volcano
7. California
8. Sleep Like a Baby Tonight
10. Song for Someone
11. Raised By Wolves

I know not many people put The Miracle at the top of their list, but it's my kind of song. Great energy, a lot of fun, with interesting twists and turns.

Such a quality, quality record, if Sleep Like a Baby Tonight comes in at 8th place on my list.

Yeah, I've been surprised by how little people like Miracle. I can kind of see how it comes across as another Vertigo-type radio hit which people may be tired of, but still, I find it to be one of the more effective songs.

Yeah, I've been surprised by how little people like Miracle. I can kind of see how it comes across as another Vertigo-type radio hit which people may be tired of, but still, I find it to be one of the more effective songs.

I like how The Edge held back from his signature sound here and just played power chords to keep the enhance of the lyrics/message. It's the little details like this that make me love the album.

New ranking:
1. Every Breaking Wave
2. California
3. Volcano
4. This Is Where You Can Reach Me Now
5. Raised by Wolves
6. The Troubles
7. Iris
8. The Miracle
9. Sleep Like a Baby Tonight
10. Song For Someone
11. Cedarwood Road

Things really keep shifting. EBW and California didn't wow me at first but they really seem to stick with me. For a couple of days I was thinking Raised by Wolves was actually my least favorite because of the chorus, but I think I've warmed back up to it.

Most important news of course is that they're all still good! Fun fact though, I actually think Invisible is better than any of them, which is strange because I wasn't wowed by it when I first heard it, but now it's actually one of my all time favorites.

I purposefully took a break from the album for a couple weeks or so. I was risking overplaying it (15 times all the way through in 5 days is really a lot, also my favorites I listened about double that). I have not taken a break from U2, though, and when the new songs have popped up in shuffle I've listened to them.

But I wanted to put some space between the shock of the new and my real thoughts on the record. I'm very happy to say that it holds up very well. This is a great album.

So this past week I listened to all of the band's studio albums, all the way up to and including SOI. Here are my new rankings:

1. This Is Where You Can Reach Me Now
2. Iris (Hold Me Close)
3. Volcano
4. California (There Is No End To Love)
5. Every Breaking Wave
6. Raised By Wolves
7. The Troubles
8. The Miracle (Of Joey Ramone)
9. Cedarwood Road
10. Sleep Like A Baby Tonight
11. Song For Someone

Some big changes this time. I'll revisit my list when the deluxe edition comes out and do a new ranking with Lucifer's Hands, the Crystal Ballroom, and Invisible. Maybe also a super ranking with all the alternate versions too. Hopefully all the new tracks are as great as the ones we already have!

Here's how it was on first impressions for me:

1 Raised by wolves
2 California
3 Every breaking wave
4 Song for Someone
5 This is where you can reach me
6 Iris
7 Volcano
8 Cedarwood Road
9 The Miracle
10 Sleep like a baby tonight
11 The troubles

and now, three-odd weeks and lots of listens later:

1 California
2 Iris
3 Song for Someone
4 Raised by wolves
5 Every breaking wave
6 Volcano
7 Cedarwood Road
8 Sleep like a baby tonight
9 The Miracle
10 This is where you can reach me now
11 The troubles

That said I've only listened to it once this week, been playing "Born to run" over and over.

Here's how it was on first impressions for me:

and now, three-odd weeks and lots of listens later:

1 California
2 Iris
3 Song for Someone
4 Raised by wolves
5 Every breaking wave
6 Volcano
7 Cedarwood Road
8 Sleep like a baby tonight
9 The Miracle
10 This is where you can reach me now
11 The troubles

That said I've only listened to it once this week, been playing "Born to run" over and over.

This is close to the exact opposite of my list. Despite our shared love of U2, we're diametrically opposed!

Listened to the album for the first time in a week last night, as I was driving to my parents' house. The only difference was that I started by listening to 'Invisible'. It really works as Track #1.

Still a great album. One more ranking:

01 - Every Breaking Wave
02 - Iris (Hold Me Close)
03 - This Is Where You Can Reach Me Now
04 - The Troubles
05 - Cedarwood Road
06 - California (There is No End to Love)
07 - Sleep Like A Baby Tonight
08 - The Miracle (of Joey Ramone)
09 - Song for Someone
10 - Volcano
11 - Raised by Wolves

If I was to rank 'Invisible', it would be #1.

1) Iris
2) California
3) This Is Where You Can Reach Me Now
4) Cedarwood Road
5) Raised By Wolves
6) Song For Someone
7) Volcano
8) Sleep Like A Baby Tonight
9) The Miracle
10) The Troubles
11) Every Breaking Wave

Invisible would fit somewhere in top 5 if it were a true album cut

Can't wait to hear Lucifers hands and The Crystal Ballroom

This is settling now that a few weeks have elapsed since the first listen:

1. Sleep Like A Baby Tonight
2. California
3. Cedarwood Road
4. Every Breaking Wave
5. Iris
6. Volcano
7. Troubles
8. Raised by Wolves
10. The Miracle
11. Song for Someone

The only song for me that is below par is Song for Someone, which is a testament to the consistency of this album.

Sent from a barge floating through the docks of Dublin

Iris
Raised By Wolves
The Troubles
This Is Where You Can Reach Me Now
California
Sleep Like A Baby Tonight
Cedarwood Road
Song For Someone
Volcano
The Miracle
Every Breaking Wave

Two weeks later...

1st Iris (8,5/10)
2nd California (8/10)
3rd This Is Where You Can Reach Me Now (8/10)
4th The Troubles (7,5/10)
4th Raised By Wolves (7,5/10)
6th Cedarwood Road (7/10)
7th Sleep Like A Baby Tonight (7/10)
8th Volcano (6/10)
9th The Miracle (6/10)
10th Every Breaking Wave (5/10)
11th Song For Someone (5/10)

I remember rating "Ordinary Love" 4,5/10 and "Invisible" something like 5,5/10. Now, I'd tie "Ordinary Love" with "Every Breaking Wave" with a 5/10 and "Invisible" 6,5/10.

A few listens in, and here is my ranking

1. Every Breaking Wave
2. The Troubles
3. Iris
4. Raised By Wolves
5. Sleep Like A Baby Tonight
6. Song For Someone
7. This Is Where You Can Reach Me
8. Cedarwood Rd
9. The Miracle
10. Volcano
11. California

It should be noted that songs 2-6 are all close for me, as are 7-10. The only songs I'm adamant about, funnily enough, are #1 and #11...and I really don't see that changing anytime soon.

If included, Invisible would be #3

Sent from my ass crack

California is the biggest gainer, while Volcano gets the bottom of the pit. Raised By Wolves' chorus is starting to grate on me a bit.

Other than that, everything pretty much stays the same. I think I did a good job trying to stay objective about how these songs would age with me from the get go.

1. Every Breaking Wave
2. The Troubles
3. Iris
4. Sleep Like A Baby Tonight
5. Song For Someone
6. California
7. Raised By Wolves
8. This Is Where You Can Reach Me
9. Cedarwood Road
10. The Miracle
11. Volcano

Invisible would be #4 if included

1. Every Breaking Wave
2. The Troubles
3. This Is Where You Can Reach Me
4. Song For Someone
5. Iris
6. The Miracle
7. California
8. Volcano
9. Sleep Like A Baby Tonight
10. Raised By Wolves
11. Cedarwood Road

That was after my 1st listen. Time for a 4 week comparison.

1. Invisible
2. This Is Where You Can Reach Me Now
3. The Miracle
4. California
5. Volcano
6. Sleep Like A Baby
7. Iris
8. Song For Someone
9. Every Breaking Wave
10. The Troubles
11. Cedarwood Road
12. Raised By Wolves

RBW and CWR are still my bottom 2. EBW and The Troubles are my biggest fallers, both dropped 8 spots. And minus a few little changes, most of the songs just went up 2-3 spots. I thought EBW was amazing the first time I listened to it. Dawned on me that I had been skipping it without hesitation because it got old very quickly. While The Miracle continues to climb. The guitar riff is one of Edge's best, it really hits you in the balls with a grapple hook. It'll be quite a show stopper if it can find a way to segue another song right into the guitar riff and skip the chant at the beginning.

After not listening to the album for about a week, I had to travel today for work and got to listen to it twice in the car. I think I've finally settled on a ranking that should last for a while.

1) California
2) Every Breaking Wave
3) The Troubles

4) Raised By Wolves
5) The Miracle

6) Volcano
7) Cedarwood Road
8) Song For Someone

9) This Is Where You Can Reach Me Now
10) Iris

11) Sleep Like A Baby Tonight

1. The Troubles

--where The Crystal Ballroom would be if it were on this album, as it should have been

2. Cedarwood Road
3. Every Breaking Wave
4. Sleep Like A Baby Tonight
5. Iris
6. Raised By Wolves
7. The Miracle
8. Volcano
9. Song for Someone
10. This Is Where You Can Reach Me Now

Things that I like more than # 11
-- spoiled milk
-- other people's farts
-- Kim Jong Un
-- the original studio version of Mercy

11. California

1 - The Crystal Ballroom
2 - Volcano
3 - Song For Someone
4 - Lucifer's Hands
5 - Sleep Like A Baby Tonight
6 - The Troubles
7 - Raised By Wolves
8 - Every Breaking Wave
9 - Cedarwood Road
10 - Iris (Hold Me Close)
11 - Invisible
12 - This Is Where You Can Reach Me Now
13 - California (There Is No End To Love)
14 - The Miracle (Of Joey Ramone)

Adding Invisible, The Crystal Ballroom and Lucifer's Hands to the rankings.

01 - Invisible
02 - Every Breaking Wave
03 - Iris (Hold Me Close)
04 - This Is Where You Can Reach Me Now
05 - The Troubles
06 - Cedarwood Road
07 - The Crystal Ballroom
08 - California (There is No End to Love)
09 - Sleep Like A Baby Tonight
10 - Lucifer's Hands
11 - The Miracle (of Joey Ramone)
12 - Song for Someone
13 - Volcano
14 - Raised by Wolves

Back
Top Bottom