Early physical single vinyl release of SOI? Photos inside

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I agree U2 can't win with the haters no mater what! You should see some of the comments on their Facebook page! It's like the haters go there to talk poop! It doesn't matter what they do they will hate!

10450379_10154822624080508_6239063069702953034_n.jpg

I wish I had a hint about these releases...would have tried to pick a few of them up since I know they were at a few local record stores. I lived a freakin' twenty minute walk to Amoeba Berkeley through the end of August. ugh.

I, of course, would have attempted to flip them (I'm not even going to buy the new record since I don't really like it). They're a very limited and special release, so I expect these to actually sell in the low hundreds as a collector's item for quite some time.

The new LP, on the other hand, won't ever command the prices that the last three studio albums do on vinyl. Vinyl's become too mainstream again and SOI will likely have a huge pressing, whereas the last three U2 albums had very limited runs - hence why they go for so much on eBay.

whereas the last three U2 albums had very limited runs

Very true.... I found Bomb and ATYCLB were difficult to get on vinyl. NLOTH wasn't that hard. (I pretend that album didn't happen anyway).

Right now the hardest vinyl for me to own is the best of the 80s.

Has anyone had any luck finding the test pressing outside of NYC or the Amoeba shops in Cali? Wondering if it's worth calling around considering I live in crappy NE Ohio.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using U2 Interference mobile app

I heard it was only sent to Amoeba and Looney Tunes...300 copies total, split evenly between the two stores...:ohmy:

I think I saw that over @U2.com

Very true.... I found Bomb and ATYCLB were difficult to get on vinyl. NLOTH wasn't that hard. (I pretend that album didn't happen anyway).

Right now the hardest vinyl for me to own is the best of the 80s.

Missing the same one in my collection. That's a tough one to afford.

Yeah, NLOTH was probably easier to snag given modern methods of tracking down these releases, but it still came out a couple of years before vinyl really took off, mostly thanks to the release of a lot of inexpensive players, hence why it didn't have a large run.

SOI will be lucky to ever go up in price, aside from this test pressing. I actually expect them to overestimate the amount of fans wanting it, leading to a pressing of 50,000 copies - a lot of which will sit on the shelves.

God, really would have loved to have gone to Amoeba Berkeley (I doubt they even had a limit on them since most people at the front desk of these stores didn't even know what was going on). I would have purchased as many as they had.

For those that do want to own this release, I imagine it won't be worth more than $200 once the actual vinyl release comes out. That one will flood the market and satisfy a lot of the demand. It's going for high now because of the novelty factor, excitement over the new album and a few richies that want to listen to it early on their turntable. Anybody paying $400 or more for it is throwing away a lot of money. There's no way it will keep up the value once the aforementioned deluxe LP starts gathering dust in record stores early next year.

I'm having really dirty daydreams about this, too. In my dream, I go to Berkeley and SF, buy all 20 copies for $400, and then sell them for $20,000. That's nearly two years of daycare or a year of mortgage payments.

Yeah, I think people are crazy to not sell them. Even if owning this collectible means a lot to you, you're still throwing away hundreds of dollars per copy as there's no way in hell they're going to go for $700 on eBay soon or likely even half that price.

It really is a little depressing to live close to two of these stores and not investigate due to timing over the last few days (and learning about the release a little late). Buying a ton of these would be a life-changer for a lot of people and I already knew they would be selling for hundreds the second I learned of the release...a lot of money to make for basically mailing something via USPS.

I'm having really dirty daydreams about this, too. In my dream, I go to Berkeley and SF, buy all 20 copies for $400, and then sell them for $20,000. That's nearly two years of daycare or a year of mortgage payments.

I just calculated and it would be almost three years worth of my share of the mortgage payment. Ugh. That's literally three years closer to retirement (I'm only 28 now, so don't feel bad for me though). Of course, you're hypothesizing selling them for $1,000 which is pretty unlikely. I'd say $500 is the average and that would likely go down further if you were flooding eBay with twenty of the things.

And it's not even a risk for any flippers that picked it up at Amoeba. Of course you'd be able to re-sell a limited version of the new U2 album for at least $20. Guaranteed profit and I wouldn't be shocked if some individuals went and bought a half dozen or so.

It's also interesting to make the Looney Tunes and Amoeba comparison. There's now a Record Store Day pledge that stores sign vowing not to sell any of the items above their list price. Amoeba and the like sign it (and never raised the price on the SOI release)...I get the feeling that this Looney Tunes chain does not.

Although I'm sure at least one Amoeba employee wised up and bought a couple. Props to them.

Sadly I wouldn't fantasize about flipping all 20 copies (although we could really use the money). I simply fantasize about my local record store 2 miles away having one lone copy and my finding it. I wouldn't even open it. I'd just put it in my collection of U2 merch/memorabilia.

...I already checked and they dont have it though. Wishful thinking of course. If they did I'd have had them hold it and gone straight down lol.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using U2 Interference mobile app

The funniest part about all of this is that it was a U2 release and kind of sat around before being discovered (although that makes it more annoying to those of us that live nearby a store and wanted to flip them).

If this had been some surprise thing from a popular indie act, it would have likely sold out much faster than this one did (hell, they clearly had extras in the back or whatever that they sold online the other night). Amoeba Berkeley in particular is mostly young shoppers in their 20s that could give a fuck about U2 and wouldn't be caught dead buying it (I know having shopped there countless times).

It's also interesting to make the Looney Tunes and Amoeba comparison. There's now a Record Store Day pledge that stores sign vowing not to sell any of the items above their list price. Amoeba and the like sign it (and never raised the price on the SOI release)...I get the feeling that this Looney Tunes chain does not.

Although I'm sure at least one Amoeba employee wised up and bought a couple. Props to them.

Yeah, I wonder how Universal landed on this "Looney Tunes" place as the store to deliver copies to? They seem unethical from the start. And until this week, I doubt many people had heard of them.

There are east-coast indie stores with Amoeba-like name recognition, such as Bull Moose and Newbury Comics. Why not give it to them instead?

I'm actually happy that BigMP didn't snatch any :D

Heh, I'm not the only fan in this thread that admits to wanting to flip them. I mean, if you wanted these albums to get in the hands of fans, it's clear that this release has done a poor job at doing that..

...unless the goal was to give most of them to fans with $700 lying around.

Yeah, I guess it's all based on need. A few years ago I wouldn't be caught dead saying I'd flip a U2 item for profit. But when something is worth so much, and you've got bills to pay, even a month of not worrying about money is probably worth more than a pretty item item on the shelf.

I don't care how much of a true fan you are, it would be crazy not to at least consider a $1000 return on an investment of $20.

I don't care how much of a true fan you are, it would be crazy not to at least consider a $1000 return on an investment of $20.

That's why you buy two. One you sell and the other you......sell too.

Thats 2 grand to spend on several U2 concerts or a trio to see them overseas.

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference

I thought about it. That sale would pay for several GA tour tickets or an overseas RT flight to see them in their home country, a bucket list item for me.

I told my daughter the story of the cost of this release on ebay and how I got one for $20. (It arrived today.) She looked at me and said, "But, you aren't selling yours, right?" She knows me well. But, it would go over a lot better here on the home front if I had that $1000 for tour tickets!
rejectsmile.gif

Horrendous racket.

I was "fortunate" enough to pay 60 bucks for a record at looney. I don't think he sold many in store. Almost all of his copies went to ebay. I hope this scam is brought to light.

Every fan is entitled and justified in doing whatever they please with their record.

Mine will not be on ebay.

$1000 today - one of 300, and considering how many would be destroyed, lost etc over the next 20 years, it'd be worth a small fortune then. If I had one though, no way is sell it. Now it then.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

I sold one copy of WAIE to compensate the high price i payed when missing out on the first opportunity. And the same happened with OL. So i can understand what they are doing. But when these shops are keeping copies behind to get better. That's simply not right.

Watch this guy on ebay sgreenberg32 on eBay
He sold one yesterday for over $1000 and has another one there now. Could be an employee?

I thought about it. That sale would pay for several GA tour tickets or an overseas RT flight to see them in their home country, a bucket list item for me.

I've been thinking along these exact same lines... I have the same bucket list item.

I actually think putting them on ebay now while they are super hot and in demand is better than waiting for the demand to die down.

Sure, they will become more valuable as time goes on, but "strike while the iron is hot?"

Back
Top Bottom