Early physical single vinyl release of SOI? Photos inside

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Good point. I'm sure Apple must have been aware from the beginning that they were going to release a few copies to meet the Grammy deadline.

I agree on the Grammy thing. But yesterday someone posted the Grammy guidelines and there was something about the physical release needing "nationwide distribution" by 9/30 or something to that effect. Three Amoeba stores and one NYC store hardly seems to qualify...

I was just driving around and I had a thought.

U2 has a song called California.... Amoeba in is California.

U2 has a song called New York..... Looney Tunes is in NY.

So the obvious next drop of discs must be....

......ready for it....?

MIAMI!

:D

Yeah... just call me the undercover brother.....lol... I now how to connect the dots.

LOLOL

I agree on the Grammy thing. But yesterday someone posted the Grammy guidelines and there was something about the physical release needing "nationwide distribution" by 9/30 or something to that effect. Three Amoeba stores and one NYC store hardly seems to qualify...

If they did this release solely to qualify, I'm sure Oseary & co. made sure to verify the loophole.

AH! That is very very clever ...connecting the dots with the song lyrics about
cities :hmm: :applaud:
You guys could be right ...but ... But don´t forget U2Brothr, they also made a
song called "The Playboy Mansion" .
So it could be on sale inside the Mansion! :D
Do you know how dificult it is to get into the Playboy mansion?

AH! That is very very clever ...connecting the dots with the song lyrics about

cities :hmm: :applaud:

You guys could be right ...but ... But don´t forget U2Brothr, they also made a

song called "The Playboy Mansion" .

So it could be on sale inside the Mansion! :D

Do you know how dificult it is to get into the Playboy mansion?

To be honest if i was in the playboy mansion the u2 vinyl would be the last thing on my mind ????

Some movies get a very limited release (and a larger one later) just to make sure it qualifies for Oscars as well.

The Hi-Fi shop owner called me back after talking to the distributor.

According to the distributor, Amoeba and Looney Tunes received 150 copies each and those are the only shipments going out.

That doesn't seem to jibe with the number of copies people were reporting in store, but it does at least corroborate the limit of 300 copies. At any rate, it doesn't look like there is any way for independent stores to order copies through their distributors.

I wonder how long these eBay prices will last for. I was able to order one from Amoeba, but am flying back to the UK tomorrow (after which time, alas, my level of participation here will drop) and it's being delivered to my sister's place.

I'm hoping the mania for this release will still be going on in a couple days, because I'll probably want to sell it. The prices people are paying for this vinyl are insane, IMO, but whatever. Either there's a serious collector's market and it will hold, or the prices will go down precipitously very quickly.

I guess there must be rules for record store employees buying these things up, because if I worked at one of these places I would have snagged as many as they let me.

According to the distributor, Amoeba and Looney Tunes received 150 copies each and those are the only shipments going out.

Aw, boo. That makes scavenger hunting less fun.

Is it possible Amoeba and LT put a few on the shelves and just put the rest online?

I spoke to a Chicago record store and they told me the same thing. Only amoeba and the new York place that sold all theirs to scalpers.

Sent from my HTCONE using U2 Interference mobile app

... the new York place that sold all theirs to scalpers.

r0yzgg.gif

ASSORTED OBSERVATIONS
1. Over and over, band has stated that Apple "owns it for 5 weeks", and purchased it. Apple gave it to all the bemused haters. Individuals set and forget their own iTunes to auto download purchases, podcast subscriptions, etc in their iCloud. I do not, and had to perform several steps, too.

2. Apple (or RED) may end up getting the measly $ (US only for Grammy eligibility) from the wholesale of 300 copies.

3. This is a blank label artless collectible product, even if it is a good fidelity and fun keepsake. The west coast purchases from Amoeba were split amongst 3 stores and available for mail order. Hurrah for the lucky and persistent (Interference members) who pounced. Pity those who HAVE TO own it and burn money on eBay.

4. U2 are damned if they do and damned if they don't, right. Good record, and clever distribution. Created buzz, too.

ASSORTED OBSERVATIONS
1. Over and over, band has stated that Apple "owns it for 5 weeks", and purchased it. Apple gave it to all the bemused haters. Individuals set and forget their own iTunes to auto download purchases, podcast subscriptions, etc in their iCloud. I do not, and had to perform several steps, too.

2. Apple (or RED) may end up getting the measly $ (US only for Grammy eligibility) from the wholesale of 300 copies.

3. This is a blank label artless collectible product, even if it is a good fidelity and fun keepsake. The west coast purchases from Amoeba were split amongst 3 stores and available for mail order. Hurrah for the lucky and persistent (Interference members) who pounced. Pity those who HAVE TO own it and burn money on eBay.

4. U2 are damned if they do and damned if they don't, right. Good record, and clever distribution. Created buzz, too.

I agree U2 can't win with the haters no mater what! You should see some of the comments on their Facebook page! It's like the haters go there to talk poop! It doesn't matter what they do they will hate! It's funny reading all the homophobic and invasion of privacy comments. But I agree it got people talking bout U2. Funny thing a long time U2 friend of mine said the album sounds like nickle back haha.

I wonder how long these eBay prices will last for. I was able to order one from Amoeba, but am flying back to the UK tomorrow (after which time, alas, my level of participation here will drop) and it's being delivered to my sister's place.

I'm hoping the mania for this release will still be going on in a couple days, because I'll probably want to sell it. The prices people are paying for this vinyl are insane, IMO, but whatever. Either there's a serious collector's market and it will hold, or the prices will go down precipitously very quickly.

I guess there must be rules for record store employees buying these things up, because if I worked at one of these places I would have snagged as many as they let me.

You know the stores are getting the kick backs. talk about a racket.

Well judging from the numbers that were mentioned here :

150 to Amoeba - 15 to 20 at the Hollywood location + 13 at SF location + 7 at Berkeley location
150 to Looney Tunes

Some were sold online, by phone or in store.

And some on Ebay.
(Maybe even by the stores for price determination for the ones they have left).

It will be interesting to see how many will pop up on there (Ebay).
One just sold for $810.
There are 7 others up on Ebay as of now.
And 2 sold yesterday for $250 (buy it now) and $200 (1 bid)

Aw, boo. That makes scavenger hunting less fun.

Is it possible Amoeba and LT put a few on the shelves and just put the rest online?

Well, I don't know how much I trust Looney Tunes anyway since they priced theirs at $50, but on their blog they stated that they got a total of 30 copies and that they were only available in-store, not online.

Amoeba, on the other hand, had around 15 or 20 copies in each store, and they ALSO sold them online for a brief time yesterday. I don't think it's out of the question that they moved 270 copies that way. But who knows?

I got lucky by calling the San Francisco store assuming they would be the last to sell out. I think I got one of the final two copies in stock. I was texting/e-mailing with someone else at the same time who snagged the very last copy. Crazy times.

Matt McGee from @U2 says that Rebel Rebel store in NYC ordered 10 and got 2 (sold already)... So maybe other stores had them in small numbers

Matt McGee from @U2 says that Rebel Rebel store in NYC ordered 10 and got 2 (sold already)... So maybe other stores had them in small numbers

Or maybe a few other stores might have or get 1 or 2 copies of the test pressing, but aren't putting them out until the official release date.

There is now a listing of it on discogs.com

http://www.discogs.com/U2-Songs-Of-Innocence/release/6138488

I love discogs because you can sort your collection right down to barcodes, country of origin, wax matrix....etc.

Here's my collection.
http://www.discogs.com/user/u2brothr/collection

Thanks for posting about that website!
I'm working on getting my u2 collection on there right now.
So next time I stand in the store I can see whether or not I already have a CD or record or not.

Back
Top Bottom