Don't believe the hype? - NLOTH General Album Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Bruce, Dylan, Stones, and other you cited are not mainstream anymore. The problem with persons that don't like U2 is cause they are mainstream. I know, this sounds stupid, but based on what I saw last years, that's exactly it.
When I talk with casual music listeners they don't seem to have a problem at all with U2. A lot of my friends that listen to "what's on the radio" liked Vertigo and some even talked that they thought it was so cool "this bunch of old guys doing such a good song." I remember girls I know talking how beautiful Sometimes was.
But when I talk to music fans, who have consolidated tastes and musical opinions, the ones that don't like U2, HATE U2. In the last years (00's onwards) a consensus started: mainstream is shit. Some of those people can't deal with U2 cause it's mainsteam. They can't deal with a good mainstream band. Same happens with Coldplay. I'm not trying to say these people are narrow-minded, it's something that happens with us for some reason. Probably happened to you, when you're listening to ATYCLB and for some reason you skip BD. Or when that obscure band you love gets famous, that weird feel. It happens. Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think so. Of couse, most people don't have that and listen to U2 with no problem, but a bad opinion stands out in the middle of good ones and like I said, it seems that those that don't like U2 in this group, hate it. That's why it seems there's so much hate towards U2.

I hope I made myself clear. :D:D

This is totally true, I was thinking the same reading other music forums that are really trashing U2 and GOYB. People who go on these and post are usually very serious music fans and/or the types who prefer indie music. Not that there is anything wrong, I like a lot of indie-type music. But my impression is that U2 is still very popular and respected by the average music listener, but not so much by the types who post on music boards and take it very seriously...

That and the fact that the internet being what it is, there is a certain type of person who posts on board, blogs, etc., and they often like to steer some shit. Read any newsblog out there, there is an insane amount of crap said.

I'm not saying that GOYB will in fact turn out to be a huge hit and everyone will love it, just that more often than not the internet is not that representative of people's real opinions.

Bruce, Dylan, Stones, and other you cited are not mainstream anymore. The problem with persons that don't like U2 is cause they are mainstream. I know, this sounds stupid, but based on what I saw last years, that's exactly it.
When I talk with casual music listeners they don't seem to have a problem at all with U2. A lot of my friends that listen to "what's on the radio" liked Vertigo and some even talked that they thought it was so cool "this bunch of old guys doing such a good song." I remember girls I know talking how beautiful Sometimes was.
But when I talk to music fans, who have consolidated tastes and musical opinions, the ones that don't like U2, HATE U2. In the last years (00's onwards) a consensus started: mainstream is shit. Some of those people can't deal with U2 cause it's mainsteam. They can't deal with a good mainstream band. Same happens with Coldplay. I'm not trying to say these people are narrow-minded, it's something that happens with us for some reason. Probably happened to you, when you're listening to ATYCLB and for some reason you skip BD. Or when that obscure band you love gets famous, that weird feel. It happens. Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think so. Of couse, most people don't have that and listen to U2 with no problem, but a bad opinion stands out in the middle of good ones and like I said, it seems that those that don't like U2 in this group, hate it. That's why it seems there's so much hate towards U2.

I hope I made myself clear. :D:D

well than we agree..they are mainstream and they are not fucking it up :)

yeah, indie and alternative people don't like U2. Some of them because they really don't, and some because it's not cool and hip to like a big mainstream band.

Strangely I agree with most of those people when it come to other bands than U2 :)

I think people on Atease seemed mostly positive about it:wink:

incredible!!!

radiohead fans more positive (in general) about GOYB than people here...
I have to admit, I'm trying always to make up my mind about everything, but it does feel good when you see acknowledgment from fans of such band as Radiohead...

I don't know why but I don't take the views about U2 from this forum as totaly objective, I have a feeling that we tend to be a little bit biased :) So I like to see the opinions and views from impartial parties :)

I just think everyone here is WAY too quick to judge this song. You can have an initial reaction whether you like it or dont, or whatever, but all this shit people are saying about them being a crap band now, they've lost it, this album will be crap, all of it is just fucking stupid.

Agreed m8, I like the new song no question. I gave it an 8 on initial hearing and I still give it an 8. I'm in the opinion that this song is a better song than Beautiful Day and Vertigo. I didn't realise people were that disapointed with it. I'll have to look at the poll results.

you know what..if nothing else it's great to see that U2 still invites and causes so much discussion about every new album....that's why they are still up at the top with bruce...

every other old act stopped making meaningful records years ago, an with U2 it's always a global event...
bad or good it says a lot

well than we agree..they are mainstream and they are not fucking it up :)

yeah, indie and alternative people don't like U2. Some of them because they really don't, and some because it's not cool and hip to like a big mainstream band.

Strangely I agree with most of those people when it come to other bands than U2 :)

Sure they are mainstream...
But I do think they are fucking it up... cause they manage to stay mainstream doing songs that are not mainstream-esque. Vertigo might seem far from innovation when it comes to people that have a better knowledge about music, but it's far from what was being sucessful in mainstream at the time, and it was a hit. Same with BD.

I have a friend... huge fan of britpop and etc. Likes U2, agrees that AB is one of the best albums ever made. Then I ask him: "Why the fuck it's not one of your fav?" Answer: "I don't know. They're so mainstream. It's weird" It's something that happens to all of us I guess.

I actually think that we are over-blowing how many people on Interference don't like the song. I'm pretty sure I've read way more positive comments than negative ones. But as usual, critical views make for more exciting conversation than praise, so every person who comes here and has a more negative view generates a lot of replies and we get the impression now that a majority of fans don't like GOYB.

I really don't think that's the case, although as I remember it Vertigo received a more overall positive reaction.

I actually think that we are over-blowing how many people on Interference don't like the song. I'm pretty sure I've read way more positive comments than negative ones. But as usual, critical views make for more exciting conversation than praise, so every person who comes here and has a more negative view generates a lot of replies and we get the impression now that a majority of fans don't like GOYB.

I really don't think that's the case, although I'm pretty Vertigo had a more overall positive reaction here.

It's like you said, casual music fans won't come to foruns in the internet and post their opinion. People that have strong musical opinions do this. And bad opinions always stand out.
As far as I remember there were almost no negative reviews of Vertigo. And now half of this forum hates it or thinks it's not on U2's standards.

Sorry for using the phrase "fuck-up-the-mainstream". I did not quite mean it like that. I do not directly dislike GOYB. Not at all. I have always defended U2, and I love POP, ATYCLB and HTDAAB. They are even among my very favourites. I am not saying GOYB is a bad song. It might even be very good and different. I just feel they use the same approach (receipe) as Vertigo (not similar as songs), and I didn't expect that. I look forward to the new album. But GOYB just made me feel a little empty for the first time after hearing a U2 song for the first time.

These are my opinions and feelings, not facts.

I hope it grows on me.

Just been reading some of the threads about U2 over at ateaseweb. Seems some think the single is a change of direction and they like that. Seems most of them hate HTDAAB (not surprised, although it aint all bad). In the thread about the album there are quite a few posts hoping that the new album is not the re-hashed Joshua Tree style and is more styled to their 90's stuff. Its always interesting reading what other bands fans think of U2 records.

This is one of the posts over there about the upcoming album, made me laugh anyway -

"they are too old as well y'know! 'trance' - wtf?!?!?!
cant they be like scott walker and sing from the point of view of a creepy old guy? rather than go through a mid life crisis crap! "

Just been reading some of the threads about U2 over at ateaseweb. Seems some think the single is a change of direction and they like that. Seems most of them hate HTDAAB (not surprised, although it aint all bad). In the thread about the album there are quite a few posts hoping that the new album is not the re-hashed Joshua Tree style and is more styled to their 90's stuff. Its always interesting reading what other bands fans think of U2 records.

Funny how other bands fans seem to be more positive about GOYB than U2 fans themselves. Maybe its just some U2 fans aren't used to U2 sounding like this (Boots) maybe that is the reason for why they dislike it?

"I don't know what Bono and The Edge were smoking back in the Achtung Baby-Zooropa-Pop days, but will somebody please provide them with some more of it? "

Amen to this!!!!!

Funny how other bands fans seem to be more positive about GOYB than U2 fans themselves. Maybe its just some U2 fans aren't used to U2 sounding like this (Boots) maybe that is the reason for why they dislike it?

U2 fans are not disliking Boots. Go and read all the reactions from the beginning, the vast majority were very positive. The reaction is mixed, it's true, but it's far from being overwhelmingly negative. It's just that now everyone is talking over and over about these (fewer IMO) less positive reactions, and a few individuals who are REALLY negative about the song are entering into never-ending arguments with others that like it, thereby multiplying the number of posts with a negative tone. All this makes it look much worst than it is. It's a bit like those HTDAAB threads...

U2 fans are not disliking Boots. Go and read all the reactions from the beginning, the vast majority were very positive. The reaction is mixed, it's true, but it's far from being overwhelmingly negative. It's just that now everyone is talking over and over about these (fewer IMO) less positive reactions, and a few individuals who are REALLY negative about the song are entering into never-ending arguments with others that like it, thereby multiplying the number of posts with a negative tone. All this makes it look much worst than it is. It's a bit like those HTDAAB threads...

This probably is what made me exaggerate my post.

maybe a good sign as of 1/21/09 NLOTH is Ranked #1 (Deluxe Version) And #3 (Standard version) in Album sales so far :up:

I still don't get why they will release something a week before in Japan. It's like they are leaking the album themselves to us.

Well, I guess it will be hard for it not to leak anyway. Every major album released lateley leaked.
Here's a list:
GN'R
The Killers
Coldplay
Franz Ferdinand
Bruce Springsteen
Morrissey
Oasis

Just to name a few.

Well, I guess it will be hard for it not to leak anyway. Every major album released lateley leaked.
Here's a list:
GN'R
The Killers
Coldplay
Franz Ferdinand
Bruce Springsteen
Morrissey
Oasis

Just to name a few.

oh yeah. it's inevitable. it's not a question of "if", but "how early".

It’s easy to keep a lid on one song that hasn’t gone into production yet. It could have only been emailed around to radio stations 5 minutes before debut, and there may have only been a couple of physical copies in each Universal office around the world. It’s near impossible to keep a lid on the album once it’s travelling the globe for review and production.

Ideally, it won't leak it all. Although, ideally, it would be released at the exact same moment everywhere in the world.

And, ideally, I could have heard Boots and maybe one other song before I open up my box set on the third and listen to the CD, while paging through the book. Then I'd listen again. Then watch the film. Then repeat a hundred or so times.

Back
Top Bottom