Don't believe the hype? - NLOTH General Album Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This may sound odd, but I rarely have expectations for U2. U2 have changed their style and sound so much over the years, it's impossible to predict what they will create. Granted, they always have their inherent U2 sound, but could you imagine the guys who created "Boy/Girl" creating "Streets"? Or the guys who wrote "Streets" writing "Mofo"? Or the ones who wrote "Mofo" creating "Peace on Earth"? It's just a huge range of styles that's impossible to predict.

Also, music is very subjective. This is evidenced by the thoughts on GOYB in this forum. Some loved it the second they heard it, others thought it was a new low for U2. I can tell you that I know people who actually hate JT. In contrast, some of those JT lovers completely abondoned U2 in the 90's. Hence, what Bono or Eno or Lanois or Edge or Rolling Stone or any other magazine or radio station or critic thinks, it's personal and doesn't apply to me.

One can appreciate a movie review as there's discussion of the plot, acting, sets, etc. Movies are visual and audio stimulants. But music is audio only and as a result, a new world is created in one's head as one listens to music. What that world is determines if we love or hate a song.

As such, I don't believe any hype ever. I didn't accept it for "Pop" or ATYCLB or HTDAAB and I certainly won't accept it for NLOTH.

That said, the hype for NLOTH is substantially different - almost subdued. It's not the usual members speaking about the work as much. And that suggests something special is coming. Many of us may still dislike it, but if nothing else, we could appreciate how unique it could be.

Good post doctorwho, and I agree. I love ATYCLB and HTDAAB, so that is said. The hype for this album was that they have changed yet again, and i think that is what disappointed me about GOYB. I feel it is the same attack and approach as with Vertigo. I like the sound and I like the performance and production, but for me it is the song itself (the melody), and that I feel it is "just" another pop song (which is fine). I think it is good for me that my expectations are lowered now. I still look forward to the album, but I am unsure about the hype. I just feel that "the-fucking-up-the-mainstream" is not a part of U2 anymore. I do not hate GOYB, and I play it regularly, but it does not give me goosebumps like other songs did when U2 released something new. I was never disappointed about U2 before, so it is kinda strange for me. I will open up all doors and hope it grows on me.

When was the last time that U2 "fucked up the mainstream"?

on January 19th when they released GOYB. it seems that most casual fans (just by reading other band's messageboards and news articles) hate it. it's a good sign when a song alienates the mainstream fanbase.

on the NLOTH hype, isn't it possible that the band members (and producers) geniunely believe it's their best album ever from an artistic standpoint. why must the discussion always be tied to commercial interests, as if U2 really needs the hype. they have enough money to last 50 lifetimes and the album is going to sell no matter what

"Fucking up the mainstream" just isn't realistic for a band full of 50 year old men. Music innovation is a young man's game.

"Fucking up the mainstream" just isn't realistic for a band full of 50 year old men. Music innovation is a young man's game.

U2 defy most rules of rock n' roll band generalizations. Really, they make their own rules. And whether you're a fan of them or not, there is no denying this fact.

on January 19th when they released GOYB. it seems that most casual fans (just by reading other band's messageboards and news articles) hate it. it's a good sign when a song alienates the mainstream fanbase.

I don't disagree with you about GOYB, but I don't know if the opinion of radio-spoilt casual music fans is enough to qualify for it. Btw, I think "fuck up the mainstream" is a lame phrase, I would rather U2 make music they like and want to make than them trying too hard to be experimental, innovative, whatever. And I really like GOYB.

Oh yes, shame on U2 for getting older, how dare they.

It has nothing to do with age.

Don't believe the hype!

However having said that, 'Magnificent' (as heard on the beach clip) does sound as though it could be a winner!

It's also refreshing not to hear Bono dishing out frothy pre-album soundbites this time.

that couldn't be any more false. if anything, i would say it's the other way around.

gimmee a break.:|

Don't believe the hype!

However having said that, 'Magnificent' (as heard on the beach clip) does sound as though it could be a winner!

It's also refreshing not to hear Bono dishing out frothy pre-album soundbites this time.

Agreed.
There's just as much hype, but this time they got the producers to say it instead of Bono.

or, when was the last time U2 "fucked up?"

no other band on earth has their track record. you could hate Pop, you could hate Bomb, but can you deny that each album is an engaging listening experience with clear themes and statements of intents and purposes that are both new and yet consistent with the narrative set in place by Boy and translates into an thrilling live experience that's unmistakably a part of the U2 cannon?

i expect a new U2 album. i expect i'll like it very much. i expect to find 4-5 songs that will become a part of me. i expect to love the next show i attend. i expect to respect the work done, even if i prefer other past albums.

this is U2. there's a reason we're here. you might love to hate them now, or you might hate to love them, or you might just love them. but you can't not have an opinion on them, and the reason why you have an opinion is because they give you so much content. they will not be ignored.

or, when was the last time U2 "fucked up?"

no other band on earth has their track record. you could hate Pop, you could hate Bomb, but can you deny that each album is an engaging listening experience with clear themes and statements of intents and purposes that are both new and yet consistent with the narrative set in place by Boy and translates into an thrilling live experience that's unmistakably a part of the U2 cannon.

i expect a new U2 album. i expect i'll like it very much. i expect to find 4-5 songs that will become a part of me. i expect to love the next show i attend. i expect to respect the work done, even if i prefer other past albums.

this is U2. there's a reason we're here. you might love to hate them now, or you might hate to love them, or you might just love them. but you can't not have an opinion on them, and deep down, i maintain that *everyone* has at least half a dozen songs they love.

Right; I agree.
I do enjoy every album they've done, at least to some degree, and I am certain there will be a bunch of songs on this one that are gonna be fantastic. Their track record proves it.
I don't like Boots.
And I can't stand the hype.
But I will wait and hope to be enjoying NLOTH.

or, when was the last time u2 "fucked up?"

no other band on earth has their track record. You could hate pop, you could hate bomb, but can you deny that each album is an engaging listening experience with clear themes and statements of intents and purposes that are both new and yet consistent with the narrative set in place by boy and translates into an thrilling live experience that's unmistakably a part of the u2 cannon?

I expect a new u2 album. I expect i'll like it very much. I expect to find 4-5 songs that will become a part of me. I expect to love the next show i attend. I expect to respect the work done, even if i prefer other past albums.

This is u2. There's a reason we're here. You might love to hate them now, or you might hate to love them, or you might just love them. But you can't not have an opinion on them, and the reason why you have an opinion is because they give you so much content. They will not be ignored.

qfmft

When was the last time anybody U2's age did anything "cutting edge" or really innovative?

Bowie, Rolling Stones, Springsteen (who never has been innovative, just a great songwriter)...these bands don't set the world on fire with new sounds as they get older, so how can anyone disagree and say that old men make daring music? Please point to one example to the contrary?

And I wasn't blaming U2 for getting old. I was just saying that I think it's unreasonable to expect something that is going to set the world on fire, from an artistic standpoint.

No other band of U2's status has their track record, GOYB is a pretty good exampel, I don't think you can expect something like that from most other bands at that point of their carreer. Most other bands or artists just settle to make the same type of music for the rest of their carreers. So I think it IS fair to expect something interesting or surprising from U2, not only because they always say themselves.

And they are not OLD. I think that's a pretty unrespectful statement for everyone their age.

Scott Walker, guys. He's 66, and his music is so impenetrably experimental that only one man on this forum can withstand the onslaught.

Good post doctorwho, and I agree. I love ATYCLB and HTDAAB, so that is said. The hype for this album was that they have changed yet again, and i think that is what disappointed me about GOYB. I feel it is the same attack and approach as with Vertigo. I I just feel that "the-fucking-up-the-mainstream" is not a part of U2 anymore.

With all due respect for your opinions, I do feel GOYB is unique and U2 are continuing to alter the mainstream.

Look at the top downloads on iTunes. Look at the top songs on Billboard. I hear nothing like GOYB on them. New bands like Snow Patrol, Coldplay, Fall Out Boy, The Killers, Black Rebel Motorcycle Club, etc., are heavily - HEAVILY - influenced by U2. At times, I've often felt U2 could have written some of the songs these bands have produce and in fact, there have been times when I've heard people comment about a "new U2 song" only to later realize it's from Coldplay or another band!

When U2 comes up with a "Mysterious Ways" or "Vertigo" or "Beautiful Day", they are making a stamp on what can succeed in the rock world. Bands then use that general sound, but with their own style. It's thanks, in part, to U2 that the bands I mentioned above had had success. Coldplay, Snow Patrol and The Killers (amongst other bands) have often mentioned U2 in their interviews and comments. They know what U2 is - they are the leaders in innovative yet commercially successful rock sounds. These bands are trying to overtake U2, but just as they think they can, U2 changes their sound and the process starts all over.

When I listen to radio, I don't hear songs like GOYB. I didn't hear songs like "Vertigo". I didn't hear songs like "Discotheque" or "Beautiful Day" either. U2 has always found a way to create a catchy song that stands out amongst the other music. The song becomes a hit, partly because it sounds like nothing else out there. When Culture Club and similar bands dominated in '83/'84, U2 came along with songs like "New Year's Day" and "Pride" - completely different in sound, yet hit songs. When Bon Jovi, Debbie Gibson and Michael Jackson ruled in '86/'87, U2 came out with JT, songs that were completely different, yet big hits. When grunge dominate the early 90's, U2 had AB and "Zooropa", where they stood out. When the Spice Girls and Hanson had cute pop songs in '97 (and I like Hanson - talented young men who are sadly known for one song), U2's "Pop" showed a wide array of style. "Beautiful Day" dominated in an era of Britney Spears and boy bands. "Vertigo" ruled in an era of R&B/rap duets. U2 have always found a niche, something that shows they are different, that their sound can find a place on the charts. And as a result, new rock bands notice and create their own version of that sound.

I recall an interview where Edge's daughter commented that nothing on HTDAAB sounded like anything on the radio. She feared the album would flop. We all know the result. U2 push the mainstream by not sounding like it.

So to me, that's fucking up the mainstream. That's being a leader.

Some of you say that GOYB is "Vertigo - Part 2". I don't hear it. Yes, it's a faster song, but with far more layers and nowhere near the "catchiness" of "Vertigo". Keep in mind U2 will always have an inherent U2 song. It's why WOWY, "One" and "Stay" have similar sounds, yet still unique. GOYB is nothing like I've heard from U2 in the past. Similar sounds? Sure, but the same song? Never.

And as a result, I think we'll see a new wave of songs from other artists sounding a bit similar to GOYB and other tracks from NLOTH in the future.

I'm a u2 fan. I don't give in to this hype of ripping the album to pieces before it is even out. I know I will love the new record. That there will be songs that I love immediatly and others that will take awhile. I'm not interested in numbers and sale quotes. I am looking forward to merging these songs with my life, just like every U2 album before.

" fuck up the mainstream "

i love it that when Bono was talking gigantic hyperbole nonsense in the 90s people lapped it up like he was the Messiah they accuse him of pretending to be during the 80s

With all due respect for your opinions, I do feel GOYB is unique and U2 are continuing to alter the mainstream.

Look at the top downloads on iTunes. Look at the top songs on Billboard. I hear nothing like GOYB on them. New bands like Snow Patrol, Coldplay, Fall Out Boy, The Killers, Black Rebel Motorcycle Club, etc., are heavily - HEAVILY - influenced by U2. At times, I've often felt U2 could have written some of the songs these bands have produce and in fact, there have been times when I've heard people comment about a "new U2 song" only to later realize it's from Coldplay or another band!

When U2 comes up with a "Mysterious Ways" or "Vertigo" or "Beautiful Day", they are making a stamp on what can succeed in the rock world. Bands then use that general sound, but with their own style. It's thanks, in part, to U2 that the bands I mentioned above had had success. Coldplay, Snow Patrol and The Killers (amongst other bands) have often mentioned U2 in their interviews and comments. They know what U2 is - they are the leaders in innovative yet commercially successful rock sounds. These bands are trying to overtake U2, but just as they think they can, U2 changes their sound and the process starts all over.

When I listen to radio, I don't hear songs like GOYB. I didn't hear songs like "Vertigo". I didn't hear songs like "Discotheque" or "Beautiful Day" either. U2 has always found a way to create a catchy song that stands out amongst the other music. The song becomes a hit, partly because it sounds like nothing else out there. When Culture Club and similar bands dominated in '83/'84, U2 came along with songs like "New Year's Day" and "Pride" - completely different in sound, yet hit songs. When Bon Jovi, Debbie Gibson and Michael Jackson ruled in '86/'87, U2 came out with JT, songs that were completely different, yet big hits. When grunge dominate the early 90's, U2 had AB and "Zooropa", where they stood out. When the Spice Girls and Hanson had cute pop songs in '97 (and I like Hanson - talented young men who are sadly known for one song), U2's "Pop" showed a wide array of style. "Beautiful Day" dominated in an era of Britney Spears and boy bands. "Vertigo" ruled in an era of R&B/rap duets. U2 have always found a niche, something that shows they are different, that their sound can find a place on the charts. And as a result, new rock bands notice and create their own version of that sound.

I recall an interview where Edge's daughter commented that nothing on HTDAAB sounded like anything on the radio. She feared the album would flop. We all know the result. U2 push the mainstream by not sounding like it.

So to me, that's fucking up the mainstream. That's being a leader.

Some of you say that GOYB is "Vertigo - Part 2". I don't hear it. Yes, it's a faster song, but with far more layers and nowhere near the "catchiness" of "Vertigo". Keep in mind U2 will always have an inherent U2 song. It's why WOWY, "One" and "Stay" have similar sounds, yet still unique. GOYB is nothing like I've heard from U2 in the past. Similar sounds? Sure, but the same song? Never.

And as a result, I think we'll see a new wave of songs from other artists sounding a bit similar to GOYB and other tracks from NLOTH in the future.

Wow! What a great Post. I probably couldn't write anything that captures my thoughts on the Band, the new Album and the influences that U2 plays on the new and up and coming Bands.

Great Post Mate!!! As I said I couldn't have said this better myself!!!

:up:

Back
Top Bottom