Does this album feel unfinished to you?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jack Bauer

The Fly
I do like NLOTH. I heard that they ditched a couple of songs, and remixed 3 songs, only 24 hours before the release.

I feel that some songs are a bit "unfinished". And Boots has great music, the lyrics are just terrible. And Breath is awesome, but to me it sounds just a bit chopped. I mean the transition to the chorus... these daaaaaaaays... is just a bit awkward.

Im not bashing it, i really do like NLOTH, and U2 is still is the greatest band in the world, but i think that this album could be even quite better if they just took a little more time and weren't forced by a deathline and convinced Universal that they needed more time. Its not that i dont like it quality wise, it is just that i think some songs could even have even more potential.

But it really does get better the more you listen to it.

It sounds like the most finished album they have ever made, with the possible exception of JT. Even more finished than AB, which is my favorite album of all time.

Yeah.... the "these days" section is really awkward. Awkward enough that I wanna try and completely remove it myself.

I'm not sure it's not finished, so much as they finished it too much, and ending up cutting out the best parts of the recording sessions. The clip from the Dallas.swf video would have been much better than either White as Snow or Cedars. The aggressive riff the band is playing in that Moroccan Riad sounds heavier than anything on the album. The chord progressions Edge is playing in Edgeback.swf sounds like it could have carried an entire song. The seemingly-demo version of Stand Up Comedy we hear in the studio sounds heavier and better than the song that's actually on the album.

I'm frustrated because they seemed to ditch a lot of fine material that could have made this album even more of a standout.

None of the 11 songs sounds unfinished at all. They sound very complete.

I would have liked to see the infamous "Mercy" added though. I know, that poor song has been overly discussed here. But non die-hard fans haven't heard it. And "Mercy" really would have blended in with this album. I think a 12th track like "Mercy" would have made this album shine for me. In fact, I might make my own iPod mix with "Mercy" in it just to test that idea.

But other than what I felt was a missing 12th track, the album sounds very complete.

Yeah.... the "these days" section is really awkward. Awkward enough that I wanna try and completely remove it myself.

It sounds natural to me, in fact it's one of my favorite parts of the song.

None of the 11 songs sounds unfinished at all. They sound very complete.

I would have liked to see the infamous "Mercy" added though. I know, that poor song has been overly discussed here. But non die-hard fans haven't heard it. And "Mercy" really would have blended in with this album. I think a 12th track like "Mercy" would have made this album shine for me. In fact, I might make my own iPod mix with "Mercy" in it just to test that idea.

But other than what I felt was a missing 12th track, the album sounds very complete.

I agree, except I feel like Mercy should close an album, and for this the closer HAS to be Cedars. Best closer since LIB.

But yeah, unfinished? No, nothing sounds unfinished to me. Of course this is coming from someone who thinks Pop is perfect so I might not be the best judge of that :wink:

I'm not sure it's not finished, so much as they finished it too much, and ending up cutting out the best parts of the recording sessions. The clip from the Dallas.swf video would have been much better than either White as Snow or Cedars. The aggressive riff the band is playing in that Moroccan Riad sounds heavier than anything on the album. The chord progressions Edge is playing in Edgeback.swf sounds like it could have carried an entire song.

I'm not entirely sure we won't see those songs on the next album

It sounds like the most finished album they have ever made, with the possible exception of JT. Even more finished than AB, which is my favorite album of all time.

more finished than AB? please :doh:

I feel that some songs are a bit "unfinished". And Boots has great music, the lyrics are just terrible. And Breath is awesome, but to me it sounds just a bit chopped. I mean the transition to the chorus... these daaaaaaaays... is just a bit awkward.

WTH? Unfinished? Go back and listen the album again. This is hands down their best work since Achtung Baby.

Yes it is. Look at the Temple bar mix of WGRYWH and the live version of LIB. Both are better. Whether you think that AB has better songs overall (also there's 12 songs instead of 11) is another point but they definately finished this one off. You can see that with a song like Breathe that beach clip listeners were worried about. Those worries can rest.

Also when they were tweaking songs they could easily have overproduced the album with the tons of layers but they insisted on re-recording the songs with the changes in mind to keep a fresh sound. The producers did an awesome job.

I did not say better, just finished. And in my mind, more "finished" is not always a good thing (see original Pop songs vs those atrocious Best of remixes), but in the case of NLOTH, I think finished is good.

I think it's fine, my only complaint [haha] is I'd like the Harold Budd sample to fade out slowly after Bono's last words in COL rather than the abrupt ending... oh, that and a 15minute mix of Fez/Being Born! :heart:

I think it's fine, my only complaint [haha] is I'd like the Harold Budd sample to fade out slowly after Bono's last words in COL rather than the abrupt ending...

Disagree, the abrupt ending is disquieting and makes you think about what was said instead of the music.

You know what!? This is THE U2 album I have been waiting all these years for :drool: As people have already said it is the most complete they have ever done.

They have released some right belters in the past, but this :love::love: I just hope all the dumped stuff is fit for a NLOTH MkII. Now a NLOTH MKII III IV I could more than live with :pray:

I so want to see Every Breaking wave make the light of day somehow :drool: Don't ask me why? Man I loved U2 before, but after this I have fallen in love with them all over again :shifty:

And you know what A) Boots doesn't fit in this album and B) as Much as I love Mercy :drool: It has no place here either :ohmy:

I think the indication of how finished this album is comes when you try to listen under the surface... there's a whole different level to a lot of these songs... so many minute details and hidden gold.

Do the same with HTDAAB and there's one level of music, and it's loud. The album prostitutes itself sonically... instead of hiding it's complexity and letting you delve deeper and deeper.

Not to mention there's better guitar parts, more complexity of structure, awesome drumlines, better cohesion, stronger vocals, more variety of instrumentation... I could go on.

I think the indication of how finished this album is comes when you try to listen under the surface... there's a whole different level to a lot of these songs... so many minute details and hidden gold.

Do the same with HTDAAB and there's one level of music, and it's loud. The album prostitutes itself sonically... instead of hiding it's complexity and letting you delve deeper and deeper.

Not to mention there's better guitar parts, more complexity of structure, awesome drumlines, better cohesion, stronger vocals, more variety of instrumentation... I could go on.

Not to mention, just plain better songwriting.

Back
Top Bottom