Does non-leak speak to U2's greed?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Or Edge being clumsy with his bottomless bag of copies of the songs and rough mixes....Or Bono playing the album too loud with his windows open so people with iphones and digital recorders can make copies! :lol:

Yep, true, but Bono did not play the final versions of these songs out the window. Just listen to beachclip boots, there are some important differences. We did not hear all of magnficient or unknown caller, crazy tonight is completely different now. So in summary, not a proper leak there.

Besides, I think Bono has been told in no uncertain terms not to do that again!:lol:

Ok this thread is fucking hilarious. I seriously could not stop laughing through every page of this thread...holy shit. :love:

Yep, true, but Bono did not play the final versions of these songs out the window. Just listen to beachclip boots, there are some important differences. We did not hear all of magnficient or unknown caller, crazy tonight is completely different now. So in summary, not a proper leak there.

Besides, I think Bono has been told in no uncertain terms not to do that again!:lol:

I personally think it's the suits pulling the strings so no leak will happen. As many gripes as I have with U2 as of late, I don't think they care if the stuff is leaked.

If there was some reason built in that required die hards to buy more than one version I would agree, as it stands, I don't...

I think the reason IS the die hard fans. My brother used to buy everything U2 that came out. It's like Lucas fucking with the Star Wars fans. Put out 20 different versions of the films so the crazies will buy them all and make him trillions of dollars. U2 know the fans are loyal to the death! LOL

I think the reason IS the die hard fans. My brother used to buy everything U2 that came out. It's like Lucas fucking with the Star Wars fans. Put out 20 different versions of the films so the crazies will buy them all and make him trillions of dollars. U2 know the fans are loyal to the death! LOL

My point is that if I buy the deluxe box set, there is nothing in one of the other versions that I would need...

ScandalCrow, like BonoVoxS was saying... we as diehard fans(you as someone of dubious loyalties I would say) have a CHOICE as does everyone else, whether to purchase 5 versions of the album. U2 isnt making people do this to hear the songs.

:huh:

You're not making sense...

All I'm saying is why cant they just release the album? It's a cd. But they have to up-sell the die hard fans. And they make it convenient fo
r those who don't have enough cash for the Deluxe set. Don't have the cash? No problem......we have 4 other versions for you to chose from in you price range. You don't want to be without the poster and Anton video do you? Well buy the cd now and buy the film later. Or...you can have the version with......

That's my point. It's all about making money now it seems. Larry is in charge of the merchandising and all of the sudden there are special editions and different versions. Seems they don't want to just sell a good cd anymore. Too many goddamn options.

At a price of buying 10 cd's.

Well if you don't want the bonuses, don't buy them.

It's quite simple. Those who just want the album can just buy the album. Those who want more from the band can get more - understandably by paying more.

I don't see what's so objectionable here.

All I'm saying is why cant they just release the album? It's a cd. But they have to up-sell the die hard fans. And they make it convenient fo
r those who don't have enough cash for the Deluxe set. Don't have the cash? No problem......we have 4 other versions for you to chose from in you price range. You don't want to be without the poster and Anton video do you? Well buy the cd now and buy the film later. Or...you can have the version with......

That's my point. It's all about making money now it seems. Larry is in charge of the merchandising and all of the sudden there are special editions and different versions. Seems they don't want to just sell a good cd anymore. Too many goddamn options.
Yeah but the industry is different now. People are downloading, and sales are going down. They're not a charity and never have been. Music is not a charity. I think we'll see more things like box sets for albums in the future, as they offer the physicalities that digital shit can't. They'll appeal to the hardcore fans, and the casuals will download.

Besides, if you've read some of the articles, they discuss the fact that they're not in it for the money anymore. I believe them. They don't need any more money. But they're not a charity.

I heard those sea clips and he makes me laugh. Too much Vino?? :applaud:

Greed?

The people wanting the leak are more guilty of being greedy then U2 is I am affraid.

Myself being one of them :)

Well if you don't want the bonuses, don't buy them.

It's quite simple. Those who just want the album can just buy the album. Those who want more from the band can get more - understandably by paying more.

I don't see what's so objectionable here.

Well not to sound like Walkon247...but it does seem thet the band is going way out the norm to promote this album. Why do we need all these extras if the album is great? Is it possible that they might be a little selfconscious about how the record will do so they are overloading with extras and add ons to entice sales? Just a thought.

First of all, this has been going on for years by many many bands(U2 has just taken it a step further) in order to make it enticing enough to buy. When napster came out everyone was trying to find new ways to make albums marketable so they added videos, booklets, etc...

If you don't want the extras, don't buy them, no one is forcing you to...

Personally, I'm really looking forward to the movie, I think it's a brilliant creative move by U2.

But don't pretend this is a U2 greedy thing...

Well not to sound like Walkon247...but it does seem thet the band is going way out the norm to promote this album. Why do we need all these extras if the album is great? Is it possible that they might be a little selfconscious about how the record will do so they are overloading with extras and add ons to entice sales? Just a thought.
Because the industry is changing... look around you, look at your habits, look at other people's habits regarding music, and how they get it, and how they listen to it. The obvious way to recoop some of the money that they've lost through downloading is offering the hardcore fans more material, more things like books with extensive liner notes and photography and accompanying films, all in a nice and neat box set, JT-style... do you understand what I'm getting at?

Yeah but the industry is different now. People are downloading, and sales are going down. They're not a charity and never have been. Music is not a charity. I think we'll see more things like box sets for albums in the future, as they offer the physicalities that digital shit can't. They'll appeal to the hardcore fans, and the casuals will download.

Besides, if you've read some of the articles, they discuss the fact that they're not in it for the money anymore. I believe them. They don't need any more money. But they're not a charity.

If they're not in it for the money anymore than why don't they give the album away for free? Why not give all the extras away with the cd at the price of a cd? They want to make money. And people with money want more money. LOL

If they're not in it for the money anymore than why don't they give the album away for free? Why not give all the extras away with the cd at the price of a cd? They want to make money. And people with money want more money. LOL
The band aren't in it for the money anymore. But you want them to give their work away for free? :lol: Ridiculous.

Do you not understand the difference between being in it for the money, and making money?

Why do we need all these extras if the album is great? Is it possible that they might be a little selfconscious about how the record will do so they are overloading with extras and add ons to entice sales? Just a thought.

The only people buying the deluxe edition are fans who'd buy it anyway if there were only a standard edition. It's not going to entice extra sales. But funnily enough, some of us would like to buy more U2 material if there is more U2 material to buy. I'm all for any kind of deluxe release that gives me more U2 material because I like U2. I don't see the need to read any conspiracies or greed into it. I see it as giving the diehard fans more content.

The band aren't in it for the money anymore. But you want them to give their work away for free? :lol: Ridiculous.

Do you not understand the difference between being in it for the money, and making money?

Radiohead did it and they made a huge profit. That's not a good argument.

Not to sound like a broken record but you and walkon don't sound like you really follow music or the industry all that much, this isn't new...

By any stretch...

Hell, I even remember REM doing this well before the internet age... with one of their most acclaimed albums Out of Time, so I really don't think this is "we're worried" thing.

If you're worried do you really get as ambitious as to have Anton make a full movie using your songs? If it sucked, do you really think Anton would go for it?

I re-emphasise: There is a difference between being in the music industry to make money, and making money from being in the music industry.

However, this is a pointless exercise, as it seems you've convinced yourself that U2 are a multinational corporate conglomerate that don't give a shit about their fans; no, they just get the fans sucked in so they can spend their money on bullshit then spit them out. :heart:

Not to sound like a broken record but you and walkon don't sound like you really follow music or the industry all that much, this isn't new...

By any stretch...

Hell, I even remember REM doing this well before the internet age... with one of their most acclaimed albums Out of Time, so I really don't think this is "we're worried" thing.

If you're worried do you really get as ambitious as to have Anton make a full movie using your songs? If it sucked, do you really think Anton would go for it?

Did you see Control?!? :lol:

I re-emphasise: There is a difference between being in the music industry to make money, and making money from being in the music industry.

However, this is a pointless exercise, as it seems you've convinced yourself that U2 are a multinational corporate conglomerate that don't give a shit about their fans; no, they just get the fans sucked in so they can spend their money on bullshit then spit them out. :heart:

Yeah...I do feel that way. It's the road they've been going down for a while now.

We don't know if they made a huge profit or not, they will not release that info...

It was a ploy, and you fell for it...

Radiohead know they've turned into a diehard fan band. So they "give away" their album and create a bunch of free publicity and then they charge $80 for the deluxe issue which they knew a big portion of their base would buy...

It was extremely creative, but still designed to make money, DO NOT fool yourself.

Trust me, they will not continue to do this...

whats wrong with options?..:shrug:

And I don't think it not leaking makes U2 greedy..I mean they want to sell there music after all thats there job, and its not like we are not going to hear it before hand anyways..most of us will because radio will probably start playing at least individual songs eventually..Japan I think the cd still comes out the 25th?..so its coming...:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom