Does non-leak speak to U2's greed?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd think it would be really amazing if the new U2 album did not leak.

It'd be nice for a change considering that we live in the instant gratification age where greedy selfish people want something without paying for it.

I totally agree. In a way it's a throwback to when you had to wait for music companies to dictate release dates to the public. Usually it's the public in control these days because everybody controls media now. Look at how things have gone on this site. Universal's done a perfect air-tight job with keeping the album under wraps, and we still have beach-clips and 30 second clips that were up for literally hours - and only because we're so adept at staying connected and controlling consumption.

What is sad is, I'm really not trying to stir up any pot tonight. I just thought today why this album as opposed to so many others has not leaked. Then I thought why could that be? I thought I'd ask on here and see what people had to say. I didn't think I'd get the same clowns in here tearing my head off, I really didn't. Some people pointed out good stuff on here that I read. INCLUDING THE FACT THE KILLERS JUST RELEASED AN ALBUM THAT DIDN'T LEAK.

Why couldn't that comment have been mentioned and then the discussion could have turned to, well why instead of thousands of personal attacks, or my argument being debunked? I just had a thought and wanted an educated discussion. You know - Are radio companies now doing something different? Is U2's management on this album unique? What are the economic reasons behind it when you consider how the record would do with out it?

Those were the types of things I wanted people to discuss rationally. Not just come on here and act like third graders who have nothing productive to say.

Here comes the hurt puppy-dog act. You say things in this post that totally dilute both your original statements and intentions. "Oh, I just wanted a discussion on a thought I had". Thats bullshit. You made outlandish, bald, sweeping statements that defamed the band, and made a mockery of their justifiable methods.

And on all of your notes, I'm going to bed! Sicy, close the thread! All of you can spend time going on about when the album will leak, when, when, when. That's much more intellectually stimulating then possibly questioning why it hasn't leaked. Anyone who does that is just completely inane.

For the record on here too, if you don't like what I have to say, just ignore it. I really don't try to argue with people on here. I state my opinion and like to read people's well-thought out posts, not immediate attacks.

And on all of your notes, I'm going to bed! Sicy, close the thread! All of you can spend time going on about when the album will leak, when, when, when. That's much more intellectually stimulating then possibly questioning why it hasn't leaked. Anyone who does that is just completely inane.

For the record on here too, if you don't like what I have to say, just ignore it. I really don't try to argue with people on here. I state my opinion and like to read people's well-thought out posts, not immediate attacks.

It is interesting that thos eopinions are never positive though isn't it?

Also, if you actually think the purpose of the tyhread was to question why it hadn't leaked, your grip on reality is less than even I thought.

Goodnight :wave:

My approach was very civil. I have like 3 qualifiers in my original post that make sure it came off as a thought, not an argument or a statement. For example, your comment about Radiohead, why couldn't that have just been said in a civil way?

Assuming it was greed isn't very civil.

What is sad is, I'm really not trying to stir up any pot tonight. I just thought today why this album as opposed to so many others has not leaked. Then I thought why could that be? I thought I'd ask on here and see what people had to say. I didn't think I'd get the same clowns in here tearing my head off, I really didn't. Some people pointed out good stuff on here that I read. INCLUDING THE FACT THE KILLERS JUST RELEASED AN ALBUM THAT DIDN'T LEAK.

Why couldn't that comment have been mentioned and then the discussion could have turned to, well why instead of thousands of personal attacks, or my argument being debunked? I just had a thought and wanted an educated discussion. You know - Are radio companies now doing something different? Is U2's management on this album unique? What are the economic reasons behind it when you consider how the record would do with out it?

Those were the types of things I wanted people to discuss rationally. Not just come on here and act like third graders who have nothing productive to say.

i do not think you have been attacked 1000 times...you come across as an exagerator\\

you kind of throw rational out the window when you sound like you are accusing u2 of being greedy ...just a hunch but that may get a few folks on here into attack mode

One last thing what does your comment about radio companies doing something different even mean regarding the release of the album and non leak??

I think it's so funny when people assume that it's the record company making U2's decisions for them. :cute:

I don't think for a moment the label is making artistic decisions for them. But the label is most certainly handling matters like the pressing of the album and doing what it can to ensure that security is tight at factories and so forth. Paul McGuinness might get cc'd on some emails, and might even send some, but again, Edge isn't writing memos.

All the band are doing is not handing out copies of the album to people they don't trust.

Actually, no, he is money hungry for casting Leo DiCaprio in every fucking lead role now for the past 8 years! Get fucking De Niro back! We want Raging Bull 2!

All Gone With The Wind profits have to go back to any person whom paid to witness it.

The band are not the only people with a stake in this. In fact, the band are almost certainly not the people who are desperate to make sure this album doesn't leak. The people at the record label—the ones whose industry has been in jeopardy for a decade or so now, and whose jobs are disappearing by the month, and who depend on a handful of big releases each year making a lot of money—they are the people who have a real stake in this.

I would be shocked if any of the band bothered with any of the minutiae of making sure the album doesn't leak. You think Edge is writing memos to the CD pressing factory staff? U2's clout might matter, but I doubt it.

Honestly, probably a big reason the album hasn't leaked is because the people who work in the pressing factories and all down the line would like to keep their jobs very much more than has been the case in past years, thanks to the present economy. If I had to choose between (a) a steady wage and benefits or (b) possibly getting fired if I got caught and definitely costing the company that employs me some money, when it's already hemorrhaging it, I'd go with (a) too.

Between this and your album review, you are quickly becoming one of my favorite posters here. Good, insightful, common sense stuff. Losing your job is just not worth it, especially in these times when you may not find another one in the music industry or anywhere. This is not your run of the mill recession, and you would think most of these clowns like walkon would not need to be reminded of that, but evidently they do.

The best chance of a leak is some disgruntled person already on their way out at a radio station or reviewing publication getting their hands on a copy and letting it loose. However, and correct me if I am wrong as you seem to be an industry person in some way, these people I mentioned are not the ones usually in a position to have access to an unreleased album.

Between this and your album review, you are quickly becoming one of my favorite posters here. Good, insightful, common sense stuff. Losing your job is just not worth it, especially in these times when you may not find another one in the music industry or anywhere. This is not your run of the mill recession, and you would think most of these clowns like walkon would not need to be reminded of that, but evidently they do.

The best chance of a leak is some disgruntled person already on their way out at a radio station or reviewing publication getting their hands on a copy and letting it loose. However, and correct me if I am wrong as you seem to be an industry person in some way, these people I mentioned are not the ones usually in a position to have access to an unreleased album.

I lied, I'm not in bed yet. Again, this is the type of discussion I wanted, that is all. If someone disagrees with my thoughts on it being U2's possible greed versus other bands, I wanted to read what they had to say. This is a good post. That's all I wanted out of this thread really, was a discussion.

Assuming it was greed isn't very civil.

(soft voice, not angry, not argumentative, just talking) How is that not civil? It is an opinion? I didn't call them greedy capitalist pigs or bastards did I? I just thought it odd their album is one that hasn't leaked. They took a ton of hit in the past, this isn't my thought by the way. The whole Ipod debacle plus critics saying their music went corporate. This wasn't my original thought. I don't understand why saying they're being overly greedy warrants the amount of negative hate this thread has produced instead of a rational discussion.

You just keep trying to cover your arse.

Actually no I'm not. Someone took the time to write a post with their thoughts from this thread and that's what my purpose was. I wanted to read it and point it out. Why is that so damn hard to understand around here. You all need to stop staring at computer screens and get out once in a while. The tension here is just ridiculous.

And on that note, I am going to bed! Report me, close the thread, I don't really care. Go back to the "fucking leak for fuck's sake" thread, that's where all the cool and really hip, intellectual people are at. ;)

The best chance of a leak is some disgruntled person already on their way out at a radio station or reviewing publication getting their hands on a copy and letting it loose......Or Edge being clumsy with his bottomless bag of copies of the songs and rough mixes....Or Bono playing the album too loud with his windows open so people with iphones and digital recorders can make copies! :lol:

(soft voice, not angry, not argumentative, just talking) How is that not civil? It is an opinion? I didn't call them greedy capitalist pigs or bastards did I? I just thought it odd their album is one that hasn't leaked. They took a ton of hit in the past, this isn't my thought by the way. The whole Ipod debacle plus critics saying their music went corporate. This wasn't my original thought. I don't understand why saying they're being overly greedy warrants the amount of negative hate this thread has produced instead of a rational discussion.

(very soft voice) please shut up and go to bed. based on your comments it has to be waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay past your bedtime.

And in that same calm, not angry, soft voice, I dont see how you can make the claim that U2 is greedy for wanting to control the release of an album they worked their asses of to try and make their best(in their upper 40s nonetheless) at considerable cost to their time, energy, families, etc. It is their work, they want to be compensated for it. As others have pointed out, it is not all money grubbing people in the industry, it is alot of people just like anyone trying to get by, get through college, get their kids through college, pay for parents' funerals, etc.

I appreciate the rational discussion, and I am more than willing to have one. Do you think the flack they took over I-Tunes was warranted in 2004? I dont think so, I always point people to what Larry said about as soon as we sign on that dotted line w/ a record company, our job is to make money selling our music. Anything after that is all the same, so one can not sell out at any point during their career, only at the initial decision to leave street corners and opening up at wet t shirt contests, which U2 did back in the 1970s.

I dont think the worst in you or anyone else here, and alot of people here have done alot more to prove to me that they are irrational than you have, so I dont think you are a troll or anything. I just do not see for the life of me how you make the leap from U2 wanting to control the release of their work to excessive greed.

It's 3 30 in the afternoon and its way past my bedtime. Damn, got to go earn some money. Hopefully when I'm back nothing has leaked and we are still running around in circles in this thread part 2 :wave:

anyone want to place a friendly wager on whether or not walkon will actually go to bed or have to respond to his/her attacks?

I am just imagining this person lying in bed right now cussing all the motherf**kers on this thread...lol

Well first off anyone calling someone greedy for wanting to get paid for their work is just a ridiculous concept to me. Only in the entitled presence of the internet culture does that argument make a lick of sense... No one calls movie makers, restaurants, gas stations, or electric companies greedy for charging you money.

Secondly coming onto a fan site and using the connotation of greed is going to cause a stir, anyone in their right mind would know this... You don't go up to someone and call their family member, friend, or favorite baseball player greedy without thinking they are going to defend that person.

So the combination of bad logic to begin with and doing so on a fan site is going to cause a stir, and you had to know that...

If you really wanted a civil discussion as you claim, you should have just come on and asked why is U2 one of the only bands that gets away with not having a leak, and why do you think they are so protective?

And in that same calm, not angry, soft voice, I dont see how you can make the claim that U2 is greedy for wanting to control the release of an album they worked their asses of to try and make their best(in their upper 40s nonetheless) at considerable cost to their time, energy, families, etc. It is their work, they want to be compensated for it. As others have pointed out, it is not all money grubbing people in the industry, it is alot of people just like anyone trying to get by, get through college, get their kids through college, pay for parents' funerals, etc.

I appreciate the rational discussion, and I am more than willing to have one. Do you think the flack they took over I-Tunes was warranted in 2004? I dont think so, I always point people to what Larry said about as soon as we sign on that dotted line w/ a record company, our job is to make money selling our music. Anything after that is all the same, so one can not sell out at any point during their career, only at the initial decision to leave street corners and opening up at wet t shirt contests, which U2 did back in the 1970s.

I dont think the worst in you or anyone else here, and alot of people here have done alot more to prove to me that they are irrational than you have, so I dont think you are a troll or anything. I just do not see for the life of me how you make the leap from U2 wanting to control the release of their work to excessive greed.

Not to mention the fact, Coldplay did exactly the same thing with Viva La Vida and they were considered creative for doing so, not sell outs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom