Does non-leak speak to U2's greed?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hahahaha. I get your point. I'm only trying point out that U2 seems to be the only band so vigilant about it.

You have got to be kidding... Every label and almost every band are trying to find ways to not have their albums not leak, most of them just fail.

You don't follow music or the industry too close if you think U2 is the only band being vigilant about it...

I want to know what walkon274 makes of the tour dates not being leaked yet either. Are U2 so unconfident that they're afraid people don't want to see them live?

I think you are on to something here. U2 are forcing people to buy concert tickets so they have to go to the concert. I mean shouldn't we be able to go see the concert and then decide if we want to pay for it.....I mean gosh they are such capitalist pigs.....the nerve...

f0r some reason i have this whole valley girl voice thing going on in my head as i typed this

While I hope this doesn't get into the debate about artists producing art for money vs. production for the sake of art, this thought flew through my head today:

Is it really a surprise that of all the bands who have produced albums over the past two years, U2 seem to be the only one who have kept theirs from leaking? I was able to listen to Viva La Vida and Forth and some of Keane's song before any of those albums came out. I also was able to hear Oasis' shit (and for the record, The Shock of the Lightning destroys GOYB). Why is U2 so guarded with NLOTH? What happened to McGuinness saying U2 had a creative, new way to release the album?

Unfortunately, it seems all this tight-grip stuff is b/c they want people to be forced to buy the album - or at least have to wait until the album comes out to listen to it, which may entice them to buy it or download it legally on i-tunes or zune's network.

While I don't see anything wrong with making money, that's the world we live in, I just think it's quite fitting that it's Bono and the boys. I can see McGuinness now gripping the one master copy with his hands, locked up in some room with rounds of ammunition and tear gas and bloodshot eyes, repeating "must wait 'til February 27" over and over again.

Thoughts?

You've got to be joking, right?

Well, either we get bitched at for prematurely closing threads around here.. or not closing threads. I was trying to give the thread the benefit of the doubt, but it doesn't look like its going to last very long.

Sorry OP.

I actually appreciate you giving me the benefit of the doubt and considering what I brought up to you before. Unfortunately, if something gets posted that people don't agree with, this is the product. There is no such thing as educated debate in this forum. It's just immediate name-calling, cries for the post to close, how can you be stupid, etc.

FOR THE RECORD, one of the links below me is titled "I wish the album would fucking leak already part 6".

How that whole line of posts can be kept up and considered valid, but my post, discussing for what reason the album hasn't leaked be considerd dogshit is beyond me. The people here are just impossible to have a discussion about a topic that they might not fully agree with.

Actually, the title of the thread is "fucking leak already for fuck's sake part ix".

This is so stupid.

Leak or no leak...after the album is officially released, anyone can just download the damn thing off limewire for free.

I think this may be the stupidest thread i've ever seen.

Is walkon274 ever going to acknowledge the fact that Day & Age by The Killers DID NOT LEAK?

Go on man. Or are you just selectively reading?

Yeah, I hate when artists wait to release music until they day they told us they would...god I can't stand this site sometimes.

A leak has absolutely no relation to how well a CD will do or how much money it will make. We are fanatics, and if the album leaks before the release, great, we're spending our money on the album anyway. Plus, if someone who plans to illegally download a copy for themselves happens to get it a few days early, they would have waited until the copies flooded the torrent sites after the release date anyway. Preventing leaks does not prevent theft.

The only possible downside to a leak is if a casual fan says "Oh, a new U2 album, I think I'll pick that up next week," but then his buddy sends him a copy way in advance and he doesn't bother going to buy the album after all.

People who are not opposed to spending the money will spend it, and those that are opposed will not pay no matter when/if an album leaks before the release.

I actually appreciate you giving me the benefit of the doubt and considering what I brought up to you before. Unfortunately, if something gets posted that people don't agree with, this is the product. There is no such thing as educated debate in this forum. It's just immediate name-calling, cries for the post to close, how can you be stupid, etc.

FOR THE RECORD, one of the links below me is titled "I wish the album would fucking leak already part 6.

How that whole line of posts can be kept up and considered valid, but my post, discussing for what reason the album hasn't leaked be considerd dogshit is beyond me. The people here are just impossible to have a discussion about a topic that they might not fully agree with.

To dive into the deep end here. There have been several points rebutting your argument which seem to have been ignored or dismissed by yourself which seem credible. And the gross generalisations in your argument about U2 being the only band to have defended their release from piracy vigorously makes your argument lose some credibility.

FOR THE RECORD, one of the links below me is titled "I wish the album would fucking leak already part 6.

Your lack of basic comprehension astounds me.

The thread below is us hoping it leaks. We really really do. That doesn't mean that downloading a leak is right. It also doesn't mean that the band trying to stop the leak is wrong. We want it to leak, but absolutely understand that they don't.

And, one more time I will say this to you: people have differences of opinion here all the time. They discuss it, and move on. The common factor of you being shot down is YOU. Perhaps you should look into why. Your posts are inciteful, and they purport to be factual. On a U2 forum, if the bulk of your posts are about how they are money-hungry, you will come up against some competition.

Once again, in the friendliest possible way: Your methods are the problem. We are all more than happy to discuss things with you in an educated (even though education has nothing to do with talking about U2) and civil way. You incite arguements by making such outlandish and frankly, rediculous statements

Your post was actually very interesting and was what I was hoping to read instead of being attacked. I never even thought about the music industry as far as people who produce cd's. I wonder, however, how much of it is robotic now as far as the presses and cd-making, etc.

The best point you've made, as well as others on here, how much of it is Universal records execs and not U2? I've read books in the past about U2 regarding how they'd play smaller venues to make it look like a sell-out and create demand. They were actually very savvy for a band in their early-20's. Of course, McGuinness helped. I just think it's a bad image for them at this point in their careers to come off as money hungry with all the work Bono does.

Good post though.

Trying hard to not say something derogatory but man oh man

are you freaking kidding about the robotics or are you just looking to get lambasted?

money hungry....come on it is their right to earn money.....maybe they could just get the robots to make the music\\

My personal opinion is that you are just making ridiculous comments to stir the pot...job well done..

A leak has absolutely no relation to how well a CD will do or how much money it will make. We are fanatics, and if the album leaks before the release, great, we're spending our money on the album anyway. Plus, if someone who plans to illegally download a copy for themselves happens to get it a few days early, they would have waited until the copies flooded the torrent sites after the release date anyway. Preventing leaks does not prevent theft.

The only possible downside to a leak is if a casual fan says "Oh, a new U2 album, I think I'll pick that up next week," but then his buddy sends him a copy way in advance and he doesn't bother going to buy the album after all.

People who are not opposed to spending the money will spend it, and those that are opposed will not pay no matter when/if an album leaks before the release.

Well said. Once the album is released then any casual fan can just download it for free - so stopping a leak does not assist in increasing sales, just the hype.

I love this site :love:

The album is like $9.99 at Best Buy available in 2 weeks in the U.S. I'm quite sure if the album leaked tomorrow, more than half of the people here won't even go buy it. You grab some mp3s and on your way, probably complaining how the album sucks.

:reject:

Well I think it's because your approach was less than civil.

You started it off by accusing the band of being greedy and they were the only ones. You came off as entitled to free music. You came off pretty uninformed about the industry as a whole...

FYI, Radiohead has been pretty protective of their albums as well, they've sent their advance copies on cassette so it can't be leaked as easy...

Even for their "free" album. :hmm:

This is so stupid.

Leak or no leak...after the album is officially released, anyone can just download the damn thing off limewire for free.

I think this may be the stupidest thread i've ever seen.

Exactly, it just came off as another reason for Walkon to attack...

I'd think it would be really amazing if the new U2 album did not leak.

It'd be nice for a change considering that we live in the instant gratification age where greedy selfish people want something without paying for it.

Trying hard to not say something derogatory but man oh man

are you freaking kidding about the robotics or are you just looking to get lambasted?

money hungry....come on it is their right to earn money.....maybe they could just get the robots to make the music\\

My personal opinion is that you are just making ridiculous comments to stir the pot...job well done..

What is sad is, I'm really not trying to stir up any pot tonight. I just thought today why this album as opposed to so many others has not leaked. Then I thought why could that be? I thought I'd ask on here and see what people had to say. I didn't think I'd get the same clowns in here tearing my head off, I really didn't. Some people pointed out good stuff on here that I read. INCLUDING THE FACT THE KILLERS JUST RELEASED AN ALBUM THAT DIDN'T LEAK.

Why couldn't that comment have been mentioned and then the discussion could have turned to, well why instead of thousands of personal attacks, or my argument being debunked? I just had a thought and wanted an educated discussion. You know - Are radio companies now doing something different? Is U2's management on this album unique? What are the economic reasons behind it when you consider how the record would do with out it?

Those were the types of things I wanted people to discuss rationally. Not just come on here and act like third graders who have nothing productive to say.

Well I think it's because your approach was less than civil.

You started it off by accusing the band of being greedy and they were the only ones. You came off as entitled to free music. You came off pretty uninformed about the industry as a whole...

FYI, Radiohead has been pretty protective of their albums as well, they've sent their advance copies on cassette so it can't be leaked as easy...

Even for their "free" album. :hmm:

My approach was very civil. I have like 3 qualifiers in my original post that make sure it came off as a thought, not an argument or a statement. For example, your comment about Radiohead, why couldn't that have just been said in a civil way?

...That wasn't silly.

By the way, does anyone know if anywhere in Brisbane does something special for the new release (hoping yet highly doubtful)

You know - Are radio companies now doing something different? Is U2's management on this album unique? What are the economic reasons behind it when you consider how the record would do with out it?

Those were the types of things I wanted people to discuss rationally.

Then you could have posted those very questions instead of what you did post.

What happened to McGuinness saying U2 had a creative, new way to release the album?

Unfortunately, it seems all this tight-grip stuff is b/c they want people to be forced to buy the album -

I just think it's quite fitting that it's Bono and the boys. I can see McGuinness now gripping the one master copy with his hands, locked up in some room with rounds of ammunition and tear gas and bloodshot eyes, repeating "must wait 'til February 27" over and over again.

i think u2 should just mail all of us fans around the world a free copy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom