Do you think they have it in them ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2girl

Blue Crack Addict
We heard Lanois talking about "innovative" music and talking how "everyone was on about making a masterpiece". We heard Eno saying how MoS is the best song he's done with U2. We have Bono saying the album is radical and their most complete album yet. And Lillywhite says it's their best album.

All that said, what do you think ? Could it be they will do their best work this late in their career, or are JT/AB unreachable peaks for U2 ?

I definately think they still have in in them. I guess we'll see when the new album comes out. I am sure there will be many split decisions on it. :hyper:

I'm thinking maybe their best album besides JT and AB, but not their best ever. Maybe also an album that will "unite the clans" and please 90's and 00's fans.

I doubt they have the lyrical unity and the strength of individual songs (but the songs not being bigger than the album) that worked for them on their best albums. Also when did any band make their best album at the age of 48, after 3 decades and with that kind of back catalogue ?

I'm thinking maybe their best album besides JT and AB, but not their best ever. Maybe also an album that will "unite the clans" and please 90's and 00's fans.

I doubt they have the lyrical unity and the strength of individual songs (but the songs not being bigger than the album) that worked for them on their best albums. Also when did any band make their best album at the age of 48, after 3 decades and with that kind of back catalogue ?

I doubt it will be better than The Joshua Tree and The Unforgettable Fire with their timeless, moment in time feeling. I also don't think it will ever have the support JT and AB have.

The only artist I can think of that made their best album at 48 or above is Todd Rundgren. Ironically, it would fit Bono's description. It was his most complete and radical album. :up:

Age has nothing to do with it. With age comes life experience and this can be a powerful source for many things. I don't know why they shouldn't have it in them to make another great album. People are going through different stages in life, different phases, they are changing and maturing, so the stuff they wrote about 20 years ago cannot be the same things they are writing about now. I don't like to compare, so I'm willing to take the new album for what it is and decide if I like what I hear or not. As long as the music is sincere and authentic and has the ability to move and touch me, it will be good.

i will say this in regards to them 'still having it in them', i saw them six times over the course of the vertigo tour... four times during the first leg, then twice during the second NA leg. the second leg was ALOT better than the first, and after listening to the tokyo show from 12/4/06, it kept getting better, and not just because the kinks were worked out. bono's voice was higher, fuller, and the band was just simply awesome. zoo tv exhausted them, popmart and elevation tours took a toll on bono's voice, it sounded raspier. plus, the way that lanois, et. al described the recording process for this upcoming release stuck with me. the few weeks recording at a time, then go away and come back fresh idea sounded good.

The peak of creativity can happen at anytime. if Edge is on fire then anything is possible, but U2 have been lyrically off-peak for quite some time so im expecting nothing more than just a good album

as long as they didn't worry about being the "biggest band in the world" during the making of it or coming up with songs to sell Ipods, then i have hope.

Bono talked about fucking up the mainstream. they did it in the 90's...they can do it again. so what if they lose some causal fans along the way. their legacy is sealed

well, I have no problem believing this album will be a radical change from How to dismantle ... and I also don't have a problem believing it will be their most complete one
I'm not a massive fan of How to dismantle ... but you can tell they're getting closer to a complete album than they've ever been

whether it will be their best one
I don't see why it wouldn't be possible
then again I think All that you can't .... got remarkably close

U2's competition is their own past
even worse, it's the myths surrounding their own past
hardly anyone talks about the music on Achtung Baby
it's about Zoo TV, the change of direction, the band's attitude
and when the music is discussed it's in terms of "sonic soundscapes" and more vague stuff that means little to me

so yeah, I don't see why the next album couldn't be their greatest yet
maybe the one after it could be too!

God forbid. What would there be to talk about if the clans united.

U2's competition is their own past
even worse, it's the myths surrounding their own past
hardly anyone talks about the music on Achtung Baby
it's about Zoo TV, the change of direction, the band's attitude
and when the music is discussed it's in terms of "sonic soundscapes" and more vague stuff that means little to me

so yeah, I don't see why the next album couldn't be their greatest yet
maybe the one after it could be too!

well said. :up:

It is relative, of course, but the neat thing about being a U2 fan is I think many of us will be able to understand it in the light it's being painted by the U2 camp once we digest it. Regardless of whether it stands up as such from our own perspectives. :wink:

I think they do have it in them though. Bono's comment about it being their most "complete" album is exciting to hear because they've long commented (and I've personally agreed, too) that many of their albums are unfinished. Including The Joshua Tree. (They've repeatedly said the second half didn't get the attention the first half did and it's not as strong as it could've been.)

All that said, what do you think?

Dunno. Haven't heard it yet.

Could it be they will do their best work this late in their career

Absolutely. It's not unprecedented, just rare.

or are JT/AB unreachable peaks for U2 ?

There are better albums than Joshua Tree and Achtung Baby, believe it or not. Furthermore, I'm pretty sure it's possible for anyone to do better.

as long as they didn't worry about being the "biggest band in the world" during the making of it or coming up with songs to sell Ipods, then i have hope.

Yes, you've hit the nail on the head. Whether you like the last 2 albums or not, it is hard to deny that they are what they are due to U2 having this attitude. Given that attitude produces a certain type of song, and we've had 2 albums in a row of this now, if they clear their heads then anything is possible. If not then we'll get Bomb Part 2 since they'll force themselves into making those types of songs all over again. I mean, like if you have lyrics like Crumbs that are meant to be angry then create a song to match rather than treating every song like a potential single and giving it the 'brandname U2' sound.

Of course they have it in them. It depends on if they want to create an amazing album or not, but my gut tells me that they do. I think, by the end of the Vertigo Tour, when Achtung Baby was getting more representation than Bomb every night, they realized that the route they were currently wasn't giving them a treasure-trove of creativity. Of course, they've made some amazing music post-Pop, but I'd rank it behind 80-83, 84-89, and 90-98 in terms of creativity.

However, if they want to continue more with the ATYCLB/Bomb sound, I won't be angry... if they're making good music that they believe in (to a limit... I don't want U2 to turn into the Jonas Brothers), I will gladly support them and remain a dedicated fan.

I do think that they have it in them to make an extremely creative album (if not of AB/UF/JT/Zooropa/Pop quality), and really want to, though.

We'll see. For now, I'm excited to have any new material out of Dublin. :hyper:

Their best work already happened with Pop. They would have to surpass that album. NOT going to happen.

... their timeless, moment in time feeling....

isn't that an oxymoron>?:wink:

For me, the main thing to realise is that in each era, for ewach different sound, they have conquered it. Whether people here liked Bomb and ATYCLB in the context of U2's catalogue, fine, but they definately conquered the genre, and the sound. Tastes change, but it doesn't detract from greatness.

I hope with the new album, they don't drop the ball witrh the "token quiet song (TQS)".

That is my main gripe with Bomb at ATYCLB, there was too much cheese in the TQS. One Step Closer, and Peace on Earth were pretty, and nice, but too cheesy. When you look at their past albums, TQS has been great (MLK, The Ocean, October, 40, Mothers, Heartland, So Cruel, The First Time, Wake Up Dead Man) the last 2 albums, havent lived up to that standard.

Put songs of that quality in their places, and the albums all of a sudden look a whole lot better. The TQS is really the benchmark of the album quality. Noone doubts that the rock songs and the harder songs will be amazing.

And from what Eno said about Moment of Surrender (My pick for TQS), they may well have done that this time.

Absolutely. It's not unprecedented, just rare.

There are better albums than Joshua Tree and Achtung Baby, believe it or not. Furthermore, I'm pretty sure it's possible for anyone to do better.

OK, where's a band with roughly that kind of back catalogue, 30 years of career, that made their best work at the age of almost 50 ? Is there such an example ?

Yes, there are better albums out there than JT or AB. They were not made by U2 though.

Isn't this thread title pretty much what we're discussing in EVERY thread about this album?

Not phrased quite like this though, at least I haven't seen it posted like this.

So - what do you think ?

OK, where's a band with roughly that kind of back catalogue, 30 years of career, that made their best work at the age of almost 50 ? Is there such an example ?

Yes, there are better albums out there than JT or AB. They were not made by U2 though.

Considering there are only about 5-10 artists I can think of with a catalogue like that, I suppose there isn't a perfect example, but there are numerous artists who have gone on hiatus for years, only to return with their best work. :shrug:

Its possible that they could make an amazing album at this stage in their lives, age is not a barrier.

If they just take risks and create something unreal, like JT and AB, but something different. :hyper:

If they could just make an album that would blow the public away. :hmm:

I have good feelings about the new album, but i'm no psychic. :reject:

Do-do-do-do they have it? GUTS!

I haven't heard the album yet, so I can't say. Hope it's good though.

I think that whenever the question "will album X match the heights of AB and JT" pops up, it's really two separate questions: 1) Are the band capable of a great album, and 2) Will it have the kind of reception that those two albums had to the point where it's a conventional wisdom to name it a U2 classic along with the other two.

I don't have doubts as far as the band goes, but the latter is really out of their hands.

It's hard to think of a band making the best music of their career at that age, but they can still make great albums. The one that springs most prominently to mind is Bob Dylan's Time Out of Mind, which is a superb album made in 1997, fully thirty two years after he made (in my opinion) the greatest album of all time, Highway 61 Revisited (not forgetting the horrific albums that came in between from the mid-1970s to the late 1980s). Time Out of Mind also had Daniel Lanois at the helm of course.

You might also add great albums recently by Bruce Springsteen or by lesser known individuals like Ry Cooder. And if you want a really left-field example, then look at a band like Tinariwen from Mali, who have only made two (superb) albums but only because 25 years in guerrilla training camps in Libya stunted their early career!

So the long answer is yes it is possible, however unlikely, for any artist to reach new heights at a later stage of their career. The one caveat I would add, however, is that it would probably take a reinvention of the art to do so, to move them beyond their natural comfort zone and into another area in which they can be challenged and - most importantly - inspired to make something that really speaks to them and pushes the limits of their artistic abilities. Then we might start thinking about art forms other than music and asking whether it is possible for any artist to be at their height in their later days. Which, I would argue, it undoubtedly is - providing conditions are right and they find something that they think is worth writing about. (Which is where Eno and Lanois, Morocco, Fez and the different structure of the current U2 sessions - 2 weeks on/3 weeks off - come in).

I really think it's not going to be too different from HTDAAB musically.

But who knows?

Back
Top Bottom