Do You Think EVERYONE ELSE Will Like NLOTH?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I remember AB haters...they are alive and well...I remember JT haters...also alive and well...u get my point.

This is a problem that could be solved really quickly. Do you have an adress? :shifty:

:wink:

To be honest: I'm not that much interested in, whether everybody else likes NLOTH or not. Sorry!:wink:

I sent a download link to my friend (who likes U2), he better like it. :madwife:

You know what? There will ALWAYS be people - and quite many of them - who won't like the album, simply because they HATE U2. The album can be the best thing in the universe, still it won't turn them around. I've read the most spiteful comments from people in another forum (not a music forum), and I don't think there's hope for them. But .... SO WHAT? Of course not everyone will like it, but still U2 will remain successful, sell out shows and so on. We have to get used to the fact that the band is polarising the audience. It's not like with some other band that doesn't have U2's greatness, reputation or history, and, to be fair, not a frontman like Bono. This alone is enough for people to bash the band and not listen to their music. I'm not saying it's right, but people are stupid, and most of these "comments" have nothing to do with the music, so I think we should relax.

By now about 95% of Interference users (not including myself) have listened to the album several times. Last time I checked, the average rating for the album in the poll thread was like 8.1/10 -- so in between "Extraordinary" and "Masterpiece".

Hardcore U2 fans seem to love it.

But what about everyone else? The "general public" or "casual fans"?

I'm reading some negative feedback on Sputnik music, Amazon discussion forums, and RateYourMusic.com, Rolling Stone's album review page...

Obviously, there are a lot of haters who go around and dis U2 at every opportunity....but from what I've read overall I get the sense that Interference is eating this album up and declaring it one of the best of the decade, while it seems to be fairly divisive online in other forums. Lots seem to love it while many others are disappointed.

I'm not trying to say that people won't like this album (it hasn't even been released!!), but regardless of your own opinion of the music, how do you think NLOTH is going to be received by "everyone else"?

:hmm::hmm::hmm::hmm:

PS. Please don't leave a response like "It doesn't matter what they think, all I care about is my own opinion of the music." We know. That's irrelevant for this thread. I'm not asking "Will other people's opinions influence yours?" I am asking, "What do you think other people's opinions will be?"

U2 is hated since many years. so the best thing is do ignore them. as for me, it is one of the best things about them that they are polarize. trust me, this is much better than to be everybodys darling.

their hater can´t deal with the fact that they are still very relevant in music.

Ok all, there's been a couple posts about how some people just hate U2...blah blah.

That's true.

But what this thread is about it more of the CASUAL U2 FAN. Those who bought the Joshua Tree, HTDAAB, etc or who downloaded Vertigo and have some U2 songs on their iPod.

If we all feel like this is one of U2's greatest albums, are we going to be the only ones?

I know there will always be those people...but the question is still worth considering whether this album will be welcomed as a return by all of U2's fans or just the most hardcore.

CASUAL? remember goldfish swallowing? dr atkins? rubiks cube? parachute pants? believe me I could go on casually...and the answer is...

I can't comment on this thread seeing I haven't been a casual U2 fan ...SINCE THE FIRST TIME I HEARD THEM!

U2 is hated since many years. so the best thing is do ignore them. as for me, it is one of the best things about them that they are polarize. trust me, this is much better than to be everybodys darling.

their hater can´t deal with the fact that they are still very relevant in music.

:up:

Well the people I've played the album for

My friend I've sent two songs to he's a Guns N Roses fan, really likes Boots and Stand Up Comedy
My sister who's 9 started air drumming to Magnificent first time she heard it, not even Miley Cyrus makes her do that :wink:
My dad who's a U2 fan seemed quite impressed despite hating Boots

So far I've seen a pretty positive reaction

It's a really hard question!

I've played it to a bunch of non-fans or casual fans. Unknown Caller has been universally loved. Really loved!

Magnificent hasn't really impressed them though.
MOS has.

I just don't know. GOYB as a first single has been pretty damaging, but Breathe, UC, Magnificent, Crazy, even SUC and a shortened MOS could all make great singles.

To answer your question, i think long term it will outsell the last two. But it could take some time to do that.

Oh, one more thought. MOS would make perhaps the best movie soundtrack song of all time. A deal like that sould push sales massively

Well it is a bit hard to tell. In comparison to the release of the last album NLOTH has been low key due to the album's lack of a real pop song which HTDAAB and ATYCLB had covered. However, receiving a 5 star review in Rolling Stone magazine will turn the heads of the right audience (music lovers) whom actually will go and buy a physical or digital copy of the album. Now say what you want about RS' credibility the fact of the matter is that it is a very popular magazine which might just persuade a lot of people to check this thing out.

Inevitably this may be a cult album which sees more acclaim five years down the track.

Already started to get the usual 1 or 2 star reviews on amazon.co.uk with the usual "dont buy it, its rubbish", and "its the end of U2" etc etc

also the case for hmv.co.uk

I don't expect it to be received as well as the last two, and I don't see that as a problem, really. After the large negative reaction to something like Pop and the huge bear hugs ATYCLB and HTDAAB got, it would just help illustrate that it's more challenging than those were. That's my take, anyways.

Already started to get the usual 1 or 2 star reviews on amazon.co.uk with the usual "dont buy it, its rubbish", and "its the end of U2" etc etc

also the case for hmv.co.uk

Well, that's strange, because on German Amazon, where I ordered the Box Set, it has an average rating of 4,5 stars and most reviews are positive. The only slightly negative ones are the ones from people who have heard only Boots, and some have written stuff without having heard anything just to complain about U2 in general. The really long and interesting reviews are all positive, 5 star reviews.

I think they already do. The vast majority of reviews - and especially critics that didn't like the last two albums - praised it.

Back
Top Bottom