Daniel Lanois..."We're just about done"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks for this info.

?(...). Again the content is very much driven by the aspirations and dreams people have. At the core it is the same U2 but the tones and textures sometimes take a slight different turn sonically to provide a slant on the song and a complexity that listeners will keep coming back to. That?s what we as human beings appreciate in art, the hidden corners that reveal themselves over time.?

I believe that this is the 1st quote that provides an appreciation of the album as an album, and it really makes me dream. What makes me have high hopes on this album more than anything is the deep involvment of the genius of Eno + Lanois.

Thanks for this info.

?(...). Again the content is very much driven by the aspirations and dreams people have. At the core it is the same U2 but the tones and textures sometimes take a slight different turn sonically to provide a slant on the song and a complexity that listeners will keep coming back to. That?s what we as human beings appreciate in art, the hidden corners that reveal themselves over time.?

I believe that this is the 1st quote that provides an appreciation of the album as an album, and it really makes me dream. What makes me have high hopes on this album more than anything is the deep involvment of the genius of Eno + Lanois.

Wow! Sounds like it could be a grower!

It's not Lanois or Eno I'm ever worried about...it's Jacknife Lee or other production "wizards"....I have a real feeling this album is going to be a good one..a better album on the whole than ATYCLB and HTDAAB were....maybe if some of the PLEBANS who hang out at Hanover Quay get invited into the studio..they can let the guys in U2 know that a lot of the fans don't like how overproduced the last two albums were...less is more.I get angry when I see "Produced by...plus secondary production by with additional production by" ..a number of the songs on the last two albums were like that..... way the hell overproduced.
U2 has said they don't like yes men..they want the truth when it comes to their music,well if I was there I'd tell them to their faces..unfortunately for me I can't be over there but I hope someone can say something to them...before good songs get ruined.

Sounds exciting, but....a little weird, didn't SEEM like Lanois was super happy with it, but maybe I'm reading way too into it :shrug: Does it matter really? New albuM!!!!!

It's not Lanois or Eno I'm ever worried about...it's Jacknife Lee or other production "wizards"....I have a real feeling this album is going to be a good one..a better album on the whole than ATYCLB and HTDAAB were....maybe if some of the PLEBANS who hang out at Hanover Quay get invited into the studio..they can let the guys in U2 know that a lot of the fans don't like how overproduced the last two albums were...less is more.I get angry when I see "Produced by...plus secondary production by with additional production by" ..a number of the songs on the last two albums were like that..... way the hell overproduced.
U2 has said they don't like yes men..they want the truth when it comes to their music,well if I was there I'd tell them to their faces..unfortunately for me I can't be over there but I hope someone can say something to them...before good songs get ruined.

Agreed overproduction is the killer of dreams, and albums

Well, looks like Lanois has his own "Edge is on fire"-catchphrase. I've heard that bird quote from him before.

On the positive side, the grower comment sounds very interesting. This was an aspect that the last two albums sorely missed. There wasn't anything that one would reveal after the 10th listen of The Bomb.

Of which of the three U2 albums he has produced is he proudest? “I’d have to say Achtung Baby,” he replies. “It was a tour de force and broke new ground sonically with its expression of innovation and commitment.”

Bedouin fire - I see that quote as saying, as he has before, that this is a sonic/musical reinvention. :hyper: I agree it's time for a thematic common thread to run through the record again, though.

“We’re just about done,” he says. “It’s going pretty good, Bono is singing like a bird. Again the content is very much driven by the aspirations and dreams people have. At the core it is the same U2 but the tones and textures sometimes take a slight different turn sonically to provide a slant on the song and a complexity that listeners will keep coming back to. That’s what we as human beings appreciate in art, the hidden corners that reveal themselves over time.”

this is probably the greatest piece of news we've gotten thus far....Damn...this is gonna be good...

we just need some beach clips or something...:sad:

also, Lanois has already said "Bono is singing like a bird" outside Hanover Quay about a month back...but the fact that he has now said it on 2 separate occasions is very encouraging, I can't wait!!!!!

i am more positive about this record now than i've ever been.
the hidden elements and the need to to let the record grow on the listener makes me dare to dream!!!!

i like that he used the word "art."

i love the last two albums. i greatly enjoy the pop-rock kicks i get from them and the ecstatic lift-off we get in their best moments.

but i'm happy to return to the realm of "art" -- it does strike me as a good, needed departure for U2 as they enter their 50s.

Of which of the three U2 albums he has produced is he proudest? ?I?d have to say Achtung Baby,? he replies. ?It was a tour de force and broke new ground sonically with its expression of innovation and commitment.?

...says the guy who thought they were destroying their careers by going in that direction.

Thanks for this info.

“(...). Again the content is very much driven by the aspirations and dreams people have. At the core it is the same U2 but the tones and textures sometimes take a slight different turn sonically to provide a slant on the song and a complexity that listeners will keep coming back to. That’s what we as human beings appreciate in art, the hidden corners that reveal themselves over time.

That really makes me excited! Go, Lanois! I really hope Bono's unresolved desire to self-consciously shape his art to have a Beatles-like legacy doesn't ruin things. It's so amazing that Lanois is still so courageous as an artist in ways U2 hasn't been in a long time.

That's an interesting take, but, while I think production posed some problem, I think the basic melodies were too simple and predictable -- all aimed to appease the mainstream instead of making the mainstream come to U2 on the band's terms. There's too much of a desire to be popular after Pop, and it's killed the group's creative output. When they stop trying to compete with Britney Spears and be "big" for the sake of being big, they'll put out their best stuff.

There was an interview with Lanois on Irish tv just now, not principally about U2 though there was some mention.

Brief description here (at 00:00) here but I do not know where to download:- RT� Television: Listing

Not that I just heard the new coldplay album....... but if Eno brings what he brought there...... this U2 album is going to be off the fucking charts.

Not that I just heard the new coldplay album....... but if Eno brings what he brought there...... this U2 album is going to be off the fucking charts.

:drool: Oh man, agreed. I bashed the hell out of X&Y, but Coldplay is totally back to form.

U2 is 2,000 times the band Coldplay will ever be, so if Eno brings his A game for them...well...:combust:

If this is a thinly veiled reference to Pop, you really need to let it go.

Seriously.

No, it is a reference to AB.

As for letting go, first you critisize the guy for being against AB initially, and now he thinks it's the best he's done with them and that's still not enough. :shrug:

Back
Top Bottom