Daniel Lanois quote in EW

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I still remember when people were transcribing lyrics and came up with...

I was speeding on the subway
through the stations of the cross
every eye looking every other way
counting down till Pentecost

and I was like...holy s$#*! Bono still has some greatness left in him. Then it turned out to be "till the pain will stop" and I was like holy s#$%...we just accidentally wrote better lyrics than Bono could on purpose!! True story...

Counting down 'til the pentecost is what the official lyrics are on U2.com. :hmm:

How is that better though? How does that fit the song? Nobody has explained this well and it seems like because it's different to what U2 chose it's therefore better.

Well I never said it was better, I was just pointing out the weird fact that it's on the site like that. I like the way he sings it.

How is that better though? How does that fit the song? Nobody has explained this well and it seems like because it's different to what U2 chose it's therefore better.

It rounds out the stations of the cross line and makes it more than a throwaway. It's much more evocative than "pain" "stopping." Pain is heavy as a truck sometimes. And these tears are going nowhere baby. (recently...different from what U2 chooses = better)

Back
Top Bottom