Daniel Lanois on Dave Fanning

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm sorry LastEdgeOnEarth, I have nothing personal against you. It's just that seeing duplicate threads about the exact same topic is frustrating sometimes. But I'll learn to ignore and not say anything.

I'm sorry LastEdgeOnEarth, I have nothing personal against you. It's just that seeing duplicate threads about the exact same topic is frustrating sometimes. But I'll learn to ignore and not say anything.

You were just being a hypocrite by making your own superfluous thread about someone else making a superfluous thread.

You were just being a hypocrite by making your own superfluous thread about someone else making a superfluous thread.

:rolleyes: I was trying to make a point. But henceforth I'll just ignore because I don't want to unnecessarily ruffle feathers.

It's not?

huhImage2.jpg

i was not aware that uptempo songs can also be mellow.

huhImage2.jpg

i was not aware that uptempo songs can also be mellow.

Maybe "mellow" was the wrong word. I just remember the first time I heard it on the radio, I thought, "well, u2 has gone soft on us this time around". Sure it's got a nice uptempo chorus, and sonically, it's edge at his best....but it's still a softy piece to me.

And btw, Larry Johnson was a collosal dissapointment for the Knicks.

No. Straightfoward guitar/rock album.

That and per Bono "Punk rock on Venus". Which gave the illusion to me and I think others of something kind of out there or possibly a departure. It obviously didn't end up that way. I actually like the album but Bono's descriptions of it in advance were a bit "off" from what actually came out.

That and per Bono "Punk rock on Venus". Which gave the illusion to me and I think others of something kind of out there or possibly a departure. It obviously didn't end up that way. I actually like the album but Bono's descriptions of it in advance were a bit "off" from what actually came out.

To be fair, that much-quoted and ridiculed Venus quote from Bono was from early 2003, certainly well before Lillywhite got on board and thus before the album shifted in sound and direction. :shrug:
I personally liked the "Edge falling in love with his guitar" quote last time - much more true than the very similar if not the same thing used to describe All that.

I would really want to see U2 release the album without any hype or promotion or even early announcement. Wouldn't it be cool to awake one day and see the album available for digital download on u2.com?

If only...

To be fair, that much-quoted and ridiculed Venus quote from Bono was from early 2003, certainly well before Lillywhite got on board and thus before the album shifted in sound and direction. :shrug:
I personally liked the "Edge falling in love with his guitar" quote last time - much more true than the very similar if not the same thing used to describe All that.

It really didnt change much from the Thomas sessions from what I have heard. I think the sound just got a tad more raw with Lillywhite. I still think the quote was a typical Bono going overboard to describe something and it doesn't translate correctly.

Edge falling in love with the guitar quote could mean SO many things. Its like saying its a guitar record. That could mean many things.

I will say the good thing this time is the quotes are not coming from Bono. So I can see where there might be more optimism about something truly different. But lets all keep this in mind, different isn't necessarily always better. :shrug:

There's 2 things that come to mind lately with all the things we've been hearing- one, there is a very deliberate attmempt by the U2 camp to be discreet about the new work, which is quite different from ATYCLB/HTDAAB promotion. I remember some Sundance interviews of Bono where he was joking around that he'd have to kill the interviewer if he discussed details on the sound of the new album, which to me means direct orders from the band to shut the fuck up this time around. This suggests something surprising is in the waiting. I mean, no "monsters", no "dragons", no "Edge is on fire", no "this is the best thing we've ever done", just "things are going well", "we feel good about this". So people are trying to keep it on the down-low, and to me that's a good thing. They're planning on springing a surprise, and dont feel the need to over-hype the material, so they must feel pretty confident about it.

Secondly, however, IMO Lanois is not exactly on the same page as some or many of us when it comes to "innovative"...his strengths are very traditional Western melody. Look at the people he's worked with besides U2 - Dylan, Peter Gabriel, Emmylou Harris, Scott Weiland, Robbie Robertson, etc. These are quite traditional artists, so "innovation" to him may be very different to those of us who associate it with blips, bloops, and electronics. To me, the most heartening thing is that having E/L aboard means that the record will be textured. I love music with layers, and that's a major reason why I 've come back to ATYCLB despite its (to me) numerous shortcomings. HTDAAB, on the other hand, is woefully short of texture, except for - guess? Love and Peace.

I don't know...can you really see U2 shutting Bono up ? Maybe the release machine will start once again and we will see something like playing TV shows and mini promo tours again. And Bono and the band members doing the hype again.

I'm more worried about Lanois' constant "innovative/masterpiece" talk. By the sounds of it, he seems to think they're up to something that will rival JT or AB and that can be too much pressure on the album itself and it makes the expectation too big.
edit: also see Eno hype about a new song. Best ever he's done with U2 ?

It really didnt change much from the Thomas sessions from what I have heard. I think the sound just got a tad more raw with Lillywhite. I still think the quote was a typical Bono going overboard to describe something and it doesn't translate correctly.

Edge falling in love with the guitar quote could mean SO many things. Its like saying its a guitar record. That could mean many things.

I will say the good thing this time is the quotes are not coming from Bono. So I can see where there might be more optimism about something truly different. But lets all keep this in mind, different isn't necessarily always better. :shrug:

Assuming those alternative versions of Bomb songs are from Thomas, I can see how the sound changed.

I think both of those things are true for Bomb. It has plenty of (vintage) Edge (guitar) sounds. And who's to say what punk rock on Venus really meant, to Bono, at the time ?
:shrug:

Assuming those alternative versions of Bomb songs are from Thomas, I can see how the sound changed.

I think both of those things are true for Bomb. It has plenty of (vintage) Edge (guitar) sounds. And who's to say what punk rock on Venus really meant, to Bono, at the time ?
:shrug:

Whose to say the new album wont be a lot of the same sounds? I'm just saying the quotes are generic and vague for the most part. Except for when Bono comes up with his over the top descriptions (IE Punk rock on Venus). Do you really think the demos sound like punk rock on Venus?? Or anything out there as that implies? I dont. Your right, who is to know what he meant, I'm not sure he even does. Thats the point. What can you really take out of anything Bono says about their new work that is right on the money or accurate. :shrug: A lot of the comments coming out about this new album are not THAT drastically different from other albums in the past. Thats all I'm pointing out.

We'll see, but I don't think any quotes this time sound like the 00's U2 output so far. :
Maybe Lanois' innovative/masterpiece comment will dissapoint many after we hear the songs. Or Eno's hype about the new song. :shrug:

My favourite bit of false hype is that Edge comment how he tried to "discover what a guitar in a rock band can do" and that he tried to not play his usual minimalistic style....and that was a reference in making Bomb.

I don't know...can you really see U2 shutting Bono up ? Maybe the release machine will start once again and we will see something like playing TV shows and mini promo tours again. And Bono and the band members doing the hype again.

I'm more worried about Lanois' constant "innovative/masterpiece" talk. By the sounds of it, he seems to think they're up to something that will rival JT or AB and that can be too much pressure on the album itself and it makes the expectation too big.
edit: also see Eno hype about a new song. Best ever he's done with U2 ?

Of course what you say could happen. I'm just saying it hasn't happened yet, and in a fashion that suggests a quite deliberate attempt to keep things under wraps. It may mean one or all of many things - that U2 are confident of the material and don't feel the need to hype it up well before its release. Or that it's a new direction for the band and they want to spring a surprise on the world. Or that its not particularly commercial so there will be no big media-machine hype/promotion for this album. Or simply that U2 don't feel the need to promote their stuff so desperately as they did in 1997-2004 (yes, Pop counts), where they were somewhat insecure of their relevance in modern music and wanted to get the message out to as many as possible. Maybe they're in more of a Springsteeny place now with respect to that. Whatever it is, Bono's statement that "if I told you I'd have to kill you, and they'd kill me too!" is telling, without trying to get all conspiracy-theory here...I mean, think about it. They played ABOY and Sometimes and OOTS to journos around 2002 (I think it was RS or Q during the best of release).

I don't have any issue with them playing TV shows and promo tours. Frankly, I don't see why anyone should have a problem with that. You are letting the music do most of the talking. That's great. Of course, there's only so many times you can hear the new single played on a tiny stage late in the night, but whatever. At least its not Bono going off with patently ridiculous comments (when was the last time he said something substantive about an album pre-release?), or Edge providing us with some well-cooked platitudes.

We'll see, but I don't think any quotes this time sound like the 00's U2 output so far. :
Maybe Lanois' innovative/masterpiece comment will dissapoint many after we hear the songs. Or Eno's hype about the new song. :shrug:

My favourite bit of false hype is that Edge comment how he tried to "discover what a guitar in a rock band can do" and that he tried to not play his usual minimalistic style....and that was a reference in making Bomb.

With regard to Lanois' comments, I see where you're coming from...but I dont think the word "masterpiece" has been mentioned - even Bono wouldnt go that far, he knows the media would goose-fry his ass for that. I think Lanois seems genuinely excited, but all he's said is that it's "innovative"...to him. Up to this point, anyone that is jumping up and down ala Axver Nov 2004 will have only themself to blame if their expectations are not met, because I dont think particularly much has been promised...YET. No titanium soul, no "we're making a kind of music that doesn't exist", no "Edge is on fire", and thankfully the HQ clips are pretty crap in quality so for most part we're not shitting ourselves and letting our imaginations go wild like the beach clip days.

Frankly, I don't even care about innovation. All I want is a good album. A set of songs that flows, and something of substance I can come back to again and again. Springsteen's Born in the USA didn't exactly break new sonic ground, but it had great lyrics, a cohesive theme, good production, and memorable songs. In Rainbows didn't break boundaries either, but it flowed superbly, and the songs are incredible.

There was a Lanois quite earlier this year where he said everyone's really excited and "everyone's talking about making the next masterpiece".

So far I'm glad Eno and Lanois are there, becase they tend to bring out the best in U2. I just want an album this time, and not worry whether or not it's their best work.

Maybe "mellow" was the wrong word. I just remember the first time I heard it on the radio, I thought, "well, u2 has gone soft on us this time around". Sure it's got a nice uptempo chorus, and sonically, it's edge at his best....but it's still a softy piece to me.

And btw, Larry Johnson was a collosal dissapointment for the Knicks.

Hearing 'Beautiful Day' live, in Madison Square Garden for example, definitely doesn't give the impression of a mellow song. But I think this speaks to the production issue. Sometimes the studio versions have that kick, and sometimes it gets lost.

FWIW, I think Bono hit the nail on the head for HTDAAB when he said it was their most visceral record.

Easy to bash both ATYCLB & HTDAAB as being let downs, but only in comparison to AB & TJT in so far as there weren't at least 8 standout tracks on each.

U2's greatest problem is their own legacy.

Take your top five tracks off both the last 2 album's & you'd have a masterpiece to rival those 2 sacred albums. Mind you we would have waited 8 years but could you imagine the album. Anyway, the best pilots are flying the plane this time so expectations are naturally higher. Would anyone here be dissapointed if we had another ATYCLB on our hands. Not me.

New album expectations

Easy to bash both ATYCLB & HTDAAB as being let downs, but only in comparison to AB & TJT in so far as there weren't at least 8 standout tracks on each.

U2's greatest problem is their own legacy.

Take your top five tracks off both the last 2 album's & you'd have a masterpiece to rival those 2 sacred albums. Mind you we would have waited 8 years but could you imagine the album. Anyway, the best pilots are flying the plane this time so expectations are naturally higher. Would anyone here be dissapointed if we had another ATYCLB on our hands. Not me.

Wholly cow you nailed that one! U2 are competing against themselves. They've done just about every style of music they could try. What could actually be new? Just hearing the new Coldplay album which is decent, (not a masterpiece), I think it's safe to say that U2 will be tops in the band department when their album comes out. Any bands wanting to take the mantel of "best band" would have to have at least a couple of albums in the JT & AB vicinity.

U2 are usually judged on a double standard.:hmm:

I'm not getting majorly excited over everything. I still adore U2 and want a new album, don't get me wrong...but I'll wait until things get more official to be super excited about it.

Please send me instructions on how to do this? :giggle:

I would really want to see U2 release the album without any hype or promotion or even early announcement. Wouldn't it be cool to awake one day and see the album available for digital download on u2.com?

If only...
:rockon: No!! wait. I don't subscribe to U2.com. Oh well, doesn't matter it would crash them anyway. :)

edited to add:
Not to mention all the people, including myself, that would either call in sick or go home sick.

Many people here would say they don't want U2 to re-make one of the last two albums.
On the other hand they would love them to re-make AB, Zooropa or Pop.
Double standards I guess? :wink:

I would prefer U2 not to re-make anything. Don't look back, move forward.

Lemme say this:

IMO this time around U2 will make another "really good" album.. like ATYCLB and HTDAAB were...

But U2 will NEVER make an album as groundbreaking, multi-dimensional, passionate, spiritual as JT and AB again...

Why not? Because they are different people now. And Bono a partime-musician who can't remember the titles and lyrics of his own songs when on tour!

20 years ago they really wanted to prove themselves that one day they could reach that top of the mountain when it comes to creating something really special and "out of this world" and more important: "out of their own world"..
Every minute in the writing- and recording process was spend on achieving this "high" point. Adam, Larry, Edge AND Bono spend every drop of sweat in it to get there.. Full time! And especially Bono was really a 100%-er when it came to the music.
We all now that nowadays he's 50/60% politician and patriot for the good cause and just 40/50% musician!

Yes, I know that he's has always been active in fighting for the good cause (even around JT and AB) But when it came down to the writing-process of the songs: he was there! From the very first note to the last mixing! And Bono's brings a very important and huge contribution to the writing-process, not only with his singing...
We all know the stories that when the writing- and the recording-process was happening for ATYCLB and (especially) HTDAAB Bono's just wasn't there a lot of times! Also to the frustration of the band!

Now with this album again we hear Lanois say on multiple ocassions: "the songs are ready and we're now doing the singing-parts"
So AGAIN it seems that Bono hardly wasn't around creating the music for this album with the other guys and has to match his singing-lines on top of the music AFTERWARDS! From Boy to (at least) Zooropa this was all happing simultanously: creating the music AND the singing blended in!

So nowadays having arrived at this the-biggest-the-best-peak years ago, and being are middle-aged men now who have "been-there, done that", together with Bono as a part-time musician: this album will probably "sound" a little different compared to the previous 2 and will again be a "good" album but will never achieve a new groundbreaking "Highness"-level of JT and AB (or even UF)!

Another point to worry about: the more Lanois/Eno/Bono starts to point out: "this is the best song/album yet" the more we need to worry. Usually the weaker a song is the more they start backing it up with a lot of blah-blah, because the song probably needs it and is not as strong on it's own. Usually when Bono/U2-camp knows this they start pumping it up with a lot of swagger...

(Still, I hope I'm wrong this time around..)

Back
Top Bottom