Daniel Lanois interviewed on 102.1 The Edge

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pop_mofo

Acrobat
Didn't hear the interview, but heard a quick and interesting tidbit.

Eno and Lanois are going to begin mixing the album next week in New York.

Also, to paraphrase, Lanois said that they have told the band that they just need to begin mixing. They have enough songs. Lanois said that the band would write forever if they could.

Anyway, that's all I heard. If anyone heard anything else, please feel free to share.

Cheers.

This is good news! :hyper: But I do have a question...:hmm: Lanois says he's mixing half of the new album (that's what he says on this link). Does this mean that the other half of the album has yet to be written? I know nothing about mixing, so I have no idea if they mix as they go, or if they wait to start mixing only after a final set of songs has been chosen???

This is good news! :hyper: But I do have a question...:hmm: Lanois says he's mixing half of the new album (that's what he says on this link). Does this mean that the other half of the album has yet to be written? I know nothing about mixing, so I have no idea if they mix as they go, or if they wait to start mixing only after a final set of songs has been chosen???

NO,NO,NO,NO,NO AND NO!!
THE OTHER HALF OF THE ALBUM HAS YET TO BE WRITTEN????

Lanois just said that U2 wrote 50 to 60 songs and that they need to stop writing....so why would you think that the other half of the album has yet to be written????

Steve Lillywhite has probably already mixed the other half of it

I gotta believe that we'll get some solid stuff (finally!) after UABRS is released...and I'm talking mid-October or so, after the buzz for the new re-release has died down. I also keep saying it, but this information about the 50 or 60 songs and counting has got me thinking that this may greatly pay off for the fans. I could see this leading to a possible two-album year (which is un-heard of with most bands, and unthinkable with U2...which is a huge reason why I think they would consider it). Either way, I don't think we'll be waiting 4+ years between the new album and the one following it...if they truly do have this wealth of material.

Lanois is mixing half and Eno is doing the other half. Thus we have got a double album. (I wish).

Didn't hear the interview, but heard a quick and interesting tidbit.

Eno and Lanois are going to begin mixing the album next week in New York.

Also, to paraphrase, Lanois said that they have told the band that they just need to begin mixing. They have enough songs. Lanois said that the band would write forever if they could.

Anyway, that's all I heard. If anyone heard anything else, please feel free to share.

Cheers.

Thanks very much PopMofo for this news...it confirms my speculation that the recording for the album was done and that they weren't "writing any more songs"...lets hope that the best songs make it to the album and not become wasted B-sides..I'm assuming if he's going to be mixing that they have already narrowed down the amount of songs and I'm thinking that Steve Lillywhite may have already mixed another group of songs earlier..."the other half of the album"

There's no buzz for UABRS, so I don't think there's any conflict of interest they have to worry about.

I gotta believe that we'll get some solid stuff (finally!) after UABRS is released...and I'm talking mid-October or so, after the buzz for the new re-release has died down. I also keep saying it, but this information about the 50 or 60 songs and counting has got me thinking that this may greatly pay off for the fans. I could see this leading to a possible two-album year (which is un-heard of with most bands, and unthinkable with U2...which is a huge reason why I think they would consider it). Either way, I don't think we'll be waiting 4+ years between the new album and the one following it...if they truly do have this wealth of material.

I'd love for you to be right on that one....I only have one request....that good songs don't become wasted B-sides...if most of the songs they have written are very good ones..put 'em on another album and release it a year after the first one...as for B-sides use live versions of songs fom the last tour.

If this is true, awesome news, but don't expect the thing to be finished now until December or so. Mixing, mastering, and all the other accoutrements could take a solid 3 months to finish, unless they had already finished the artwork and currently feel no need to change anything.

I know U2 songwriting takes a while, but how long could mixing take? Another two months and we still haven't hit December yet.

edit- I guess LemonMelon answered that...

I know U2 songwriting takes a while, but how long could mixing take? Another two months and we still haven't hit December yet.

edit- I guess LemonMelon answered that...

Mixing it will take a month although if both Eno and Lanois are each doing half an album...two weeks each..I think Lanois said as much...mastering the album usually done by their guy Ernie Acosta out in L.A. will be almost another month...so you're looking at the album being finished mixing and mastering by the end of November...you figure U2 will start promoting the album in Jan. and it'll be out in Feb.2009 which is what has been reported by Hot Press (Irish publication)

But if Mofo heard correctly, that the band would write forever if they could, it seems to me that this delay was for a good reason and that they really did hit a rich vein and felt they should keep writing....that's how I interpret it...But the interview link only has like 8 seconds of interview and what Mofo said he heard wasn't mentioned, so I don't know. :shrug:

Also, in regards to "half the album" ....maybe the band have like 5 or 6 songs down that they are positive they want on the album, and Lanois is just mixing these songs for now, and then once they are satisfied with the other songs (whether this means track selection, sequence, or actual recording of the song I'm not sure) then they'll go ahead and mix the rest of the album....hopefully that's not true though :)

We won't know until the album release about the actual quality of what they're writing, but it's encouraging from a long term career standpoint that the desire to collaborate and write songs doesn't seem to have diminished at all.

U2 were running out of time for mixing I guess. Edge was rushing in the last interview so some songs are already complete. Probably the last half is Danny Lanois.

This is good news, but it makes me wonder why they were continuing to write songs. It's not that long ago that Bono announced they were going to continue. And why were they really continuing — just to keep writing songs to see what they get, or were they trying to get that one or two last songs that they needed to complete the puzzle of the "perfect album."

From what Lanois was saying, it sounds like it was just to continue writing to see what bubbles up. This makes me think there may be some other reason for the delay . . .

The 1/2 thing is curious....

Wouldn't a double album with one disc mixed by Lanois and one disc mixed by Eno be interesting? Or some sort of mix up like that?

If it were those two, I could see the two discs having distinct sounds that still work well together.

Of course that's probably not the case, but I do feel that the 1/2 of the album quote lends fuel to the double album fire.
:drool:

U2: New Album November 2009.

The Irish rock band U2 has announced plans to release it's new as-yet- untitled album in Novmeber 2009. There are 11 new tracks on it and it has been co-produced by Brian Eno and Daniel Lanois.

This is what you'll be reading in the press in about 6 months from now.
Until then, we're not getting any info.:wave:

U2: New Album November 2009.

The Irish rock band U2 has announced plans to release it's new as-yet- untitled album in Novmeber 2009. There are 11 new tracks on it and it has been co-produced by Brian Eno and Daniel Lanois.

This is what you'll be reading in the press in about 6 months from now.
Until then, we're not getting any info.:wave:

No..that won't be the case..Lillywhite already mixed half the album..the last half (which they deliberated over)is going to be mixed by Danny.
As I stated in another forum...delaying the album a second time will lead to negative speculation that will circulate around the web that the album isn't any good. Honestly it wont be too different than what happens to major blockbuster movies when their release date gets pushed back and speculation arises that the movie's no good (i.e. bad test screening)etc.

Could U2 push back the release of the album until Nov. 2009?..sure.....are they going to?...I highly doubt it..the longer they wait,the more people forget about them,then you have Hot Press an Irish publication the band is close to and they have the album being released Feb. 2009 .... you also have Bono's comments on the U2 website about the album being nearly ready for the new year of 2009..it will look bad if he/they have to retract that statement.

Nope...Another reason why I can't see that happening 11/09 is when the Broadway
Spiderman musical comes out with Bono and Edge having done the music for it...that would end up being a CONFLICT OF INTEREST:down::

Maybe that'll be your excuse to say 11/10:D

I know for a fact that what U2 had recorded and intended to release this november has been mixed or has been partly mixed.

My singing teacher is very good friends with Steve Lillywhites right hand man. And he had told me that his friend was with steve at the time and they were mixing the album at the time (about 1.5 months ago).

So who knows whats being mixed now? :S

Thanks for the info popmofo

its good that they are mixing at the moment, its almost finished (I guess) and its not even October yet, maybe they might pull the release date back to Jan. 09.

Uh, I better stop now. :reject:

The 1/2 thing is curious....

Wouldn't a double album with one disc mixed by Lanois and one disc mixed by Eno be interesting?

That's what I thought too: the "Lanois" and the "Eno" halves of the album.

It's confusing though: a few weeks ago both Bono and Edge said they're writing more, and now Lanois says they've got enough songs and are only doing the final mixes. (and I thought Lillywhite already did that?)

That's what I thought too: the "Lanois" and the "Eno" halves of the album.

It's confusing though: a few weeks ago both Bono and Edge said they're writing more, and now Lanois says they've got enough songs and are only doing the final mixes. (and I thought Lillywhite already did that?)

I agree, the messages we are getting are all over the place. :confused:

Back
Top Bottom