Daniel Lanois interviewed on 102.1 The Edge

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think I can count on 3 or 4 fingers the amount of fans who have bothered to ask about new music when meeting the band over the last several years. Usually it's very casual and fanboyish "well I couldn't think straight..." (blah blah)

Nice fucking job dude.

I second what you said...either Bono was being coy and didn't want u2.com getting scooped...lol ...but it would have been nice if Bono had been more upfront and said..."The album will be out around...." who knows maybe the boys are keeping him on a tight leash this time.

On the topic of a non-album single/ demos/ b-sides/ whatever pre-album - I would LOVE that. It's a little too ballsy for U2 at this point, but I would love to eat crow on that one.

What I think could be a strong possibility is when the first single is released in December or so, they release a digital EP/ Maxi-Single/ 10" vinyl/ triple 8-track/ etc. with the single, probably a shitty remix or two, and some (3-4 would be nice) REAL b-sides. I have a strong feeling we'll be getting some great b-sides with this album's singles.

I'd like it if that happened, a single coming out around Christmas with a couple of remixes plus a few b-sides. :up:

those reviewers are way off, and they seem to be the exact people bono is citing as having no time for a double album. those critics have to review records by the truckload.

non-critics on the other hand, we can listen to as much music as we like and don't have to write about it. but let my try my hand at it. here we go:

"SA is amazing, and would be a much lesser album if cut in half."

there. that's my review. it would probably be the coolest thing U2 could do at this point to take a cue from SA and release a double album. Remember when we heard "all the rockers" were trimmed from HTDAAB? how nice would it be if U2 didn't overanalyze it or force themselves to cut it down to 11 songs this time round? 4 years is too long. I want 2 x 16 songs!~

this is so silly....you act as though you automatically get double the brilliance with a double album....are you forgetting how much we'd here on here about how "wow it's all just a bunch of fucking fillers aside a few good tracks," "wtf, 4 years for this? so we have 8 or 9 good tracks and everything else blows," "wow, I would've rather them just release one good CD and take all this other shit off," "Fuck you Bono, you said this was gonna be U2's best...only half these songs are good, the rest are either cliche, filler, or nothing new at all, double album = big mistake" ..........

you get my point? Chances are U2 doesn't have enough brilliant material to release a quality double album...and we'd be the first to complain about it...I'd much rather a diligent track selection process to get a cohesive album with only the best songs and make the rest B sides or work on the songs a little more and pull a Zooropa and release another album shortly with the left over material. They aren't releasing a double album, and it would be a stupid idea anyway.

this is so silly....you act as though you automatically get double the brilliance with a double album....are you forgetting how much we'd here on here about how "wow it's all just a bunch of fucking fillers aside a few good tracks," "wtf, 4 years for this? so we have 8 or 9 good tracks and everything else blows," "wow, I would've rather them just release one good CD and take all this other shit off," "Fuck you Bono, you said this was gonna be U2's best...only half these songs are good, the rest are either cliche, filler, or nothing new at all, double album = big mistake" ..........

Well...yes, that would probably happen. :lol: In my opinion, double albums should be reserved for a concept or theme to the songs. The reason why I think The Joshua Tree would work as a double album is that things make sense together. Beautiful Ghost has Streets. Race has Exit. Desert has Trip. The four songs about love: WOWY, DITH, LT and WTTW.

I'd prefer two albums like Achtung Baby and Zooropa. The first being the statement album and the second being a little more experimental and less radio friendly.

Well...yes, that would probably happen. :lol: In my opinion, double albums should be reserved for a concept or theme to the songs. The reason why I think The Joshua Tree would work as a double album is that things make sense together. Beautiful Ghost has Streets. Race has Exit. Desert has Trip. The four songs about love: WOWY, DITH, LT and WTTW.

I'd prefer two albums like Achtung Baby and Zooropa. The first being the statement album and the second being a little more experimental and less radio friendly.

Exactly! That's why JT would've work as a double album - there was a whole concept out there, and then, there would be no problem if some sonfs were much weaker or if they could be fillers in another concept.

Otherwise, U2 albums will never work as double albums, we all know it. Unless it's a double EP (8+7, for instance) full of great songs, U2 albums have all huge tracks and some that people tend to agree that are much weaker and out of place.

Didn't hear the interview, but heard a quick and interesting tidbit.

Eno and Lanois are going to begin mixing the album next week in New York.

Also, to paraphrase, Lanois said that they have told the band that they just need to begin mixing. They have enough songs. Lanois said that the band would write forever if they could.

Anyway, that's all I heard. If anyone heard anything else, please feel free to share.

Cheers.

Hey popmofo I just heard the whole interview...at least what I think is the whole interview with Daniel Lanois and quite frankly it scares me

Brian Eno isn't mentioned in regard to mixing the new record,nor is there any mention of Danny telling the guys that they need to begin mixing...in fact Lanois makes it clear that he's mixing the just first half of the record at this time...the DJ Dave Bookman mentions the film the Edge is in "It might Get Loud" and says that when Edge was in Toronto he mentioned that U2 was having a "creative epiphany"....then the DJ asks Lanois "so does that mean they're still writing?" and Lanois kind of fillibusters and says "well like I said,we're going to be mixing the first half of the record.....you never know with these guys..there's always a last minute idea brewing...we welcome some of those moments of inspiration":|

It's becoming ever more evident that @U2 hits the nail on the head almost all the time ...in this case when they mentioned that their sources said the reason the U2 record was delayed was because the band wasn't happy with some of the material......it seems that the material they are happy with is the half of the album they are letting Daniel Lanois mix....one can only hope they don't take a million years deliberating over the other half of the record,it would have been nice to hear THE WHOLE RECORD WAS BEING MIXED

Here's the link 102.1 the Edge - Dave Bookman

an audio interview window will pop up just click on Daniel Lanois ..the interview runs almost 8 minutes

This looks like everything's good to go. February 2009 at the earliest. That's prime real estate as there won't be too many competing releases in that month. January usually has sluggish sales, so they'll try to avoid that although I doubt there's enough time to release it in that month in the first place. Remember, the finished mastering, artwork & production will take at least three months which would put us through December. The question is whether or not they'll be producing copies of the album as the single rolls out or whether they want to have things planned out a bit beforehand. Either way, the new album will be released in early 2009 so the wait is finally over. :applaud:

based on what? anything at all? nope. just like you and everybody else were seemingly wrong when people called for 10-08/11-08, you'll be wrong yet again, and i'll be right here in february to let you know.

Boy you love to get that "11-09" in every chance you get,don't you???

I'd love to say you're wrong...sadly,you possibly could be right.

I still remember that the Broadway SpiderMan musical is coming out in the fall around November,with Bono and Edge already having written the music for it,it's obvious working on that project has helped to delay the next U2 album....but I still don't see how they would want to release both a new U2 album and new music for a Spiderman musical around the same time,even if they are completely seperate projects.

Rafiennes,we need to buy you a ticket to Dublin,so that you can go over to HQ .... harrass the band and tell them to get their asses in gear before the next millenium:D

Hey popmofo I just heard the whole interview...at least what I think is the whole interview with Daniel Lanois and quite frankly it scares me

Brian Eno isn't mentioned in regard to mixing the new record,nor is there any mention of Danny telling the guys that they need to begin mixing...in fact Lanois makes it clear that he's mixing the just first half of the record at this time...the DJ Dave Bookman mentions the film the Edge is in "It might Get Loud" and says that when Edge was in Toronto he mentioned that U2 was having a "creative epiphany"....then the DJ asks Lanois "so does that mean they're still writing?" and Lanois kind of fillibusters and says "well like I said,we're going to be mixing the first half of the record.....you never know with these guys..there's always a last minute idea brewing...we welcome some of those moments of inspiration":|

It's becoming ever more evident that @U2 hits the nail on the head almost all the time ...in this case when they mentioned that their sources said the reason the U2 record was delayed was because the band wasn't happy with some of the material......it seems that the material they are happy with is the half of the album they are letting Daniel Lanois mix....one can only hope they don't take a million years deliberating over the other half of the record,it would have been nice to hear THE WHOLE RECORD WAS BEING MIXED

buzzkill, man, relax.. the record will arrive.. you will surely love some -if not all- of it...
everyone, we just need to let it be!

based on what? anything at all? nope. just like you and everybody else were seemingly wrong when people called for 10-08/11-08, you'll be wrong yet again, and i'll be right here in february to let you know.

I never predicted 10/08 or 11/08.
Ever.

Here's the link 102.1 the Edge - Dave Bookman

an audio interview window will pop up just click on Daniel Lanois ..the interview runs almost 8 minutes

Well, it could be Lanois just isn't saying specifically he's mixing with Eno. We know they ALWAYS work together on U2 albums.

i hardly ever actually post on here (i just like to read what you guys write), but i am willing to drop in my two cents, but it might make a few people roll their eyes haha.

i think u2 are a little nervous about these contemporary bands stealing their sound. seeing how successful this new coldplay album has been, and from the beach clips we have heard so far, the trademark u2 non-sensical whaling and "ohh ohhhh--ing" is still very much a part of their new sound. the new coldplay album uses the edge-like backup whaling vocal (think "pride" and "miracle drug") for practically every single song...so...

i admit that it's not really too much of an educated guess on what could be delaying this album...but it IS a possibility. u2 is realizing that they really do need that similar transition from "joshua tree" to "achtung baby," because other bands are blatantly ripping off their sound.

I think these are all details for the U2-related bits in the interview if it's somehow not working out for people to listen to it. It starts at about 3:45 and goes on to the 5:10 mark or somewhere about there.
Thanks to buzzkill27 for the link.

Dave Bookman (DJ): Now, I remember going to a show there I guess it was around the 1980's when a little record called "War" came out.
It was a little band you had something to do with called U2, and Bono climbed up the scaffolding to do his dance and took a white flag and a couple of things.
That was a long time ago, he ain't climbing scaffolding these days, he's got much bigger things on his mind.
If you'd be ever so gracious, you updated us last time. You had Morocco on your mind back in March, where are we at with the latest U2 project?
Lanois: OK, A week today... I'm gonna be in New York City mixing half of the U2 record over the course of two weeks. So that's...a good start for a finish.

DJ: Now what came up, Bon - - Edge was in town a couple of weeks ago for the Film Festival. Have you seen "It Might Get Loud" the guitar documentary with him?
Lanois: No, I haven't seen it but I was in Dublin when they were doing some of that filming and I have every reason to think that it should be great because you know, the three lead actors are pretty great.

DJ: (Laughs) Yeah, that's for sure. And he mentioned at that time that the band had had an epiphany or an inspirational, creative breakthrough.
Is it gonna be more writing or are you gonna mix part of it, are they actually gonna try and do some more material?
Lanois: Well, the first half is gonna be mixed over the course of two weeks as I said but you never know with those guys it's always sort of a last minute idea brewing.
We always welcome those last-minute ideas because in the heat of the moment you never know what's gonna come in. It might be something special.

Source: 102.1 the Edge - Dave Bookman

Apparently Lanois will also be coming back to the show in November (the 14th I think it was?). Perhaps he will tell us something new by then.:drool:

I never predicted 10/08 or 11/08.
Ever.

and you're predicting 11/09 based on what? because they're mixing half of the album? so they're going to sit on half of a mixed album for 14 months? seriously? sometimes i think people are pessimists for the sake of being a pessimist.

It's my prediction popacrobat.
The same way I predict your avatar will lose.
Have a nice day.:hug::hug::hug::hug:

and you're predicting 11/09 based on what? because they're mixing half of the album? so they're going to sit on half of a mixed album for 14 months? seriously? sometimes i think people are pessimists for the sake of being a pessimist.

You're absolutely right...still,mixing only half the album does seem a bit odd unless the other half is already mixed which is what I thought Lillywhite did initally......if that isn't the case Lanois probably will end up mixing the other half shortly after he's finished the first half.

They can mix half an album all they want but it won't see the light of day until the full album is written and recorded, then finished being mixed. The latest we've heard, from Bono and Edge, is that they are still writing. If they are writing half an album more, that could take alot longer than 2-3 months to finish.

This is not being pessimistic. I'm trying to be optimistic that the album will eventually be released and it will be a killer album. But everyone else here who is being "optimistic" is imposing a timetable (release in February/March)that seems unlikely to me based on the various quotes from the band.

Everything we're hearing now is vague, vague, and more vague. Before, back in June, we were hearing all kinds of hype from Eno, Lanois, Bono, saying the album was almost done. Didn't Adam say it was in the can?
When Rafiennes approached Bono last week about it, what did Bono say? "The album is almost done"? No. What did Lanois just say? "Half the album is being mixed". And when he was pushed on it it hemed and hawed saying "anything can happen with this band"....etc.

Realistically, if the album is coming out in March, it needs to be DONE (mixing mastering etc.) by January at the latest. Is that possible? Sure it is. Providing they write 6 new tunes, record them, and mix them in the next 3 months. That's a tune every two weeks. That, from any band, is unlikely.
How good is the tune going to be if they wrote/recorded/mixed it in two weeks? Better than the tunes they had four years to do? Really? Ok, great. I'm prepared to have my socks knocked off.

:hug:

Realistically, if the album is coming out in March, it needs to be DONE (mixing mastering etc.) by January at the latest. Is that possible? Sure it is. Providing they write 6 new tunes, record them, and mix them in the next 3 months. That's a tune every two weeks. That, from any band, is unlikely.
How good is the tune going to be if they wrote/recorded/mixed it in two weeks? Better than the tunes they had four years to do? Really? Ok, great. I'm prepared to have my socks knocked off.

:hug:

You're assuming that when they say writing, they are talking about writing new songs from the ground up. It is possible that besides the set of songs they are willing to let Lanois mix, they have some songs that are near completion and maybe they are justing writing for one part or aspect of the song (a guitar overdub, a tweak to the melody, etc.)

You're assuming that when they say writing, they are talking about writing new songs from the ground up. It is possible that besides the set of songs they are willing to let Lanois mix, they have some songs that are near completion and maybe they are justing writing for one part or aspect of the song (a guitar overdub, a tweak to the melody, etc.)

Doing a little bit of tweaking here or there is exactly what I'm thinking is happening and closer to the truth than writing "songs from scratch"
Bono DID say EARLY 2009

It would pretty pathetic for U2 if this far along in the recording process they had to write 6 more songs "from scratch" just to put on a new album.

Then again....15 years later Guns N Roses fans are still waiting for the album "Chinese Democracy" to come out.:lol:

Bono DID say EARLY 2009

When did he say this?
Also, the man says lots of things....

Look, if we start hearing about it in all seriousness by January, yeah, a March release date can happen.

I just don't see them doing a release after that until September...which can easily be pushed back until Novemeber. They haven't released an album in 4 years (by then it will be 4 1/2) and they're not going to release it in the summer, the slowest consumer spending time of the year. Not to mention schools are closed, people are on vacation...etc.

I will hold off any more proclamations about "11-09" until January. If we still don't have any notions that there's something on the horizon, I will stick to my theory.

I really hope I'm wrong btw.
:dancing:

When did he say this?
Also, the man says lots of things....

Look, if we start hearing about it in all seriousness by January, yeah, a March release date can happen.

I just don't see them doing a release after that until September...which can easily be pushed back until Novemeber. They haven't released an album in 4 years (by then it will be 4 1/2) and they're not going to release it in the summer, the slowest consumer spending time of the year. Not to mention schools are closed, people are on vacation...etc.

I will hold off any more proclamations about "11-09" until January. If we still don't have any notions that there's something on the horizon, I will stick to my theory.

I really hope I'm wrong btw.
:dancing:

Didn't you see the U2.com article a few weeks ago and the quotes he gave in it?

1.)"If it was up to me the songs would be out by now"

Bono is probably the more impatient person in the group,he's only 1 of 4 but a frontman usually gets what he wants in the end

2.)"We know we have to emerge soon"

Bono realises that fans are/were expecting the album out soon,so 1 delay is understandable...2 delays could turn some fans off....U2 I think knows this.

3.)"We want 2009 to be our year"

If you're going to release an album in November of 2009...2009 isn't going to be your year,2010 is gonna be your year because 2009 is nearly up by then.

4.)This one is nearly ready for the "NEW YEAR of 2009"

Bono's not going to say the words "NEW YEAR" if the album is a fall release..you just say it'll be out next year.

i hardly ever actually post on here (i just like to read what you guys write), but i am willing to drop in my two cents, but it might make a few people roll their eyes haha.

i think u2 are a little nervous about these contemporary bands stealing their sound. seeing how successful this new coldplay album has been, and from the beach clips we have heard so far, the trademark u2 non-sensical whaling and "ohh ohhhh--ing" is still very much a part of their new sound. the new coldplay album uses the edge-like backup whaling vocal (think "pride" and "miracle drug") for practically every single song...so...

i admit that it's not really too much of an educated guess on what could be delaying this album...but it IS a possibility. u2 is realizing that they really do need that similar transition from "joshua tree" to "achtung baby," because other bands are blatantly ripping off their sound.

Major artists aren't ripping off U2, they are just very influenced by them. U2 hasn't been ripping off other artists, they have been influenced by them. That said, I understand what you are saying.

I think the delay has more to do with the band not feeling their last few albums were fully realized. Maybe the band doesn't want to have their idea for the new album sort of turn into something else like how Pop ended up asking deep questions they wanted to avoid. From what we have heard, there seem to be two groups of songs here. Epic, important sounding songs that audiences would sing along with (Cedars of Lebanon, Breathe) and rockers (Get Your Boots On). Maybe the album was going in one direction and songs of the other group started arriving. The band would have to rethink the album. Which would explain why the hype went quiet and Lanois is only mixing half the album.

Back
Top Bottom