Danger Mouse being secretive about U2 production...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Dear U2:

I don't give a fuck what it sounds like, if it's less finished than Pop, whatever.

Just please, for the love of god, release this fucking thing asap.

Just so this thread can die. DIE!

:lol:

lol wut

promoting your music is unethical?

He had brought up that point a few months ago, and I had the same reaction, but someone brought up that there's some rules about the BBC and whatnot, and that clarified the comment a bit.

I don't remember what thread it was in, so I can't go and dig it up, but maybe someone will still have that explanation.

So it's not entirely WTF. ;)

He had brought up that point a few months ago, and I had the same reaction, but someone brought up that there's some rules about the BBC and whatnot, and that clarified the comment a bit.

I don't remember what thread it was in, so I can't go and dig it up, but maybe someone will still have that explanation.

So it's not entirely WTF. ;)

I think it's that BBC is a publicly owned network, and some felt that the extended coverage that U2 got for the NLOTH release amounted to a government funded ad.

I think it's that BBC is a publicly owned network, and some felt that the extended coverage that U2 got for the NLOTH release amounted to a government funded ad.

eh...that makes a little more sense, but i still don't see how it's that big a deal. is U2 the only band that has ever appeared on BBC?

eh...that makes a little more sense, but i still don't see how it's that big a deal. is U2 the only band that has ever appeared on BBC?

Exactly.

And if it were really illegal government funded advertising(which is more than OK here in the US, we buy ads for Burger King and many others through the export-import bank), there's no way the BBC would've allowed it.

I'm pretty sure they vetted the contents of the program first. With high powered attorneys and all.

And if BBC didn't see an isue, why should anyone else?

The BBC is wholly tax payer funded. There is no advertising on any of their channels (or radio stations.) And they have very strict rules regarding commercial promotion or endorsement. Of course, when you have a band or author or actor or whatever on a show, you talk about their latest work, and that is of course promotion, but there's a line there that they're not supposed to cross. The 'BBC=U2' stuff around No Line was seen as going way too far by many:
BBC News - BBC admits promotion of U2 album was 'inappropriate'

(This is where I meant to put this post:lol::reject:)

I went back a couple of pages but I didn't see this posted anywhere:
(Warning for those with slow internet connections)
Promotional picture taken for Danger Mouse's Rome Project with Daniele Luppi (and guests Norah Jones and Jack White)
21419679.jpg

Source: http://brusselsisburning.blogspot.com/2010/11/danger-mouse-daniele-luppi-present-rome.html

Future U2/Danger Mouse album hint? :shifty:

Thread title change to:

Danger Mouse being a teasing ass about U2 production...

Oh, and :drool:

it wasn't that they just "appeared on the BBC" - it went so much further than that... it really was overkill, U2=BBC and all that... it was deemed unfair promotion... i don't remember any other band getting that much attention from the BBC to promote a new album...

Yep, everywhere. Yet STILL NO JOOLS HOLLAND. They should have gone on there and busted out Moment of Surrender and something like White as Snow and left all the Crazy Tonight shit for Letterman or whatever.

oh i would love to see U2 on Jools Holland - is that show still going? that would be epic!

it would've beat bloody Jonathan Ross that's for sure! LOL!!!

I don't see any u2 link in a grainy photo of 4 stoic people standing in front of a bunch of joshua trees whatsoever.

I was looking for information on the Rome project and to me it was just a funny unexpected coincidence to see Burton and a bunch of joshua trees. I guess my idea of fun is not shared around here or something.:shrug:

Fine, I'll let you guys pick up were you left off the BBC=U2 discussion then. I'll come back here when we have some actual news in March or whatever. :doh:

^ Headache was having a go at U2girl for jumping down your throat about it, and pointing out the very obvious similarities. It's all good, we've got your back :)

it wasn't that they just "appeared on the BBC" - it went so much further than that... it really was overkill, U2=BBC and all that... it was deemed unfair promotion... i don't remember any other band getting that much attention from the BBC to promote a new album...

i mean...i see the point, i guess i just dont really care...? lol. I...like U2, so im cool with them getting promo time where-evs. i dont think anyone died in the making of U2=BBC, but I did get to see it in HD on a channel called Palladia, so I think its a win/win really

i mean...i see the point, i guess i just dont really care...? lol. I...like U2, so im cool with them getting promo time where-evs. i dont think anyone died in the making of U2=BBC, but I did get to see it in HD on a channel called Palladia, so I think its a win/win really

other bands might not feel the same... :wink:

ps- i don't think U2=BBC was a program - it was just a logo i think???

Oh, lighten up ;)
I even put a question mark and the :shifty:-emoticon in there instead of my usual :hmm: that I use when I present personal speculation.

LOL. I wasn't jumping down on anyone's throat. Sorry if it seemed like I was attacking you.

I was saying that because you tend to be the one with a lot of good U2 speculation/news posts and so I figured you had something new for us.

LOL. I wasn't jumping down on anyone's throat. Sorry if it seemed like I was attacking you.

I was saying that because you tend to be the one with a lot of good U2 speculation/news posts and so I figured you had something new for us.

I didn't perceive it as an attack, it's all good. :up:
I'm sorry if I gave anyone false hope though.
I wish I had some contacts in the business to turn to for clues...:sigh:

Yeah, I don't get it, either. People say that other bands could have been promoted instead, but what TV network (that isn't music-related) is going to spend time/money giving that much attention to a band no one's ever heard of? Last time I checked, TV networks try to show things that people like so that they will tune in and watch.

James Blunt has been on every BBC show the last 3 weeks or so
I wouldn't be surprised if he'll appear on Eastenders too
do I have to start a campaign now?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom