Daft Punk's RAM... U2 have a lot to prove.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
They'll continue to get a lot of attention from the media when they release a new album/tour. The next album will sell a few million copies. Etc. Many people still care.
They have a huge fan base so this is to be expected but they won't enjoy the success they once did. And that's the problem! They want to continue that level of success in a market which isn't favourable, so consequentially haven't released anything despite much recording.

They haven't lost the mainstream at all. [...] They just aren't hip anymore. But that's because they're getting older.
Maybe it's premature to conclude U2 have lost mainstream appeal, however four singles were announced for No Line on the Horizon singles but only three released. What's that saying? Was their an official reason? Usually when an album performs well, 4 or 5 singles are milked from it... Not the reverse.

I love Daft Punk and and all.. But the new album is good but not ground breaking.. And in my opinion the song Get Lucky is to 2013 what Outkast's Hey Ya was to 2003... A catchy, fun, crossover single that is going to be played to death..

I love Daft Punk and and all.. But the new album is good but not ground breaking.. And in my opinion the song Get Lucky is to 2013 what Outkast's Hey Ya was to 2003... A catchy, fun, crossover single that is going to be played to death..

Get Lucky may be the biggest thing Nile Rodgers has done since 1986.

U2 have nothing to prove. nothing.

Only to themselves, because that's what they do.

And everyone else in the industry just has to prove they don't care that quite likely no one else will ever have the same level of success that U2 has had ever again.

Hey Ya! will NEVER be overplayed.

That's a good comparison you make though. I hadn't thought of it, but they are quite similar in terms of a popular group releasing a fun, catchy single that you don't get sick of, one that reaches a wider audience, is commercially successful, and is also met with critical acclaim. It's very rare.

That's still a pretty great achievement. Hey Ya is one of the best pop songs of the century so far and Get Lucky isn't too far away either.

Only to themselves, because that's what they do.

And everyone else in the industry just has to prove they don't care that quite likely no one else will ever have the same level of success that U2 has had ever again.

They have plenty to prove if they're serious about another reinvention and a meaningful career in their 4th decade as a band.

Imo, the moment an artist decides that they have nothing left to prove is the moment they should probably retire. I hope U2 haven't reached that point (and I don't think they have). I just don't understand the "they've done it all, so they shouldn't give two fucks" mentality at all :down:

They have plenty to prove if they're serious about another reinvention and a meaningful career in their 4th decade as a band.

Only to themselves. They're in an incomparable position, uncharted waters. Their place in history was sealed, first with AB, then again with ATYCLB.

They just can't screw it all up.

Well put. If U2 announced the end tomorrow, no one would doubt what they had given to society, but if they want to prove they are still relevant and important because of NEW work, it's an uphill climb.

I finally grabbed RAM yesterday and I've played it constantly since. It IS an amazing album.

Listened to the album a second time. Still cheesy yacht rock with a terrible lyrics and a couple good dance tracks here or there. I miss Homework and Discovery Daft Punk.

I can pretty much guarantee I'll like whatever U2 puts out this year more, even if it's nothing.

i think Daft Punk sounds rather like disco, not my sort of music at all. I've tried to understand where the magic comes in as far as the rave reviews go for this record but I don't see it. Listened to it three times and it sounds exactly the same as it did the first time. Nothing revealing, nothing lost or gained. It's trite, complacent, and boring. The same old sounds over and over again; there's no feeling to a bunch of computer generated thumping. And the lyrics are mirrored in the music, flat.

While U2 always seem to invent themselves anew they also keep things human, alive, and passionate. The moment that quirky noises and repetivtive lyric overshadow their soul at the core of their music, well it will be an awful day to be sure.

RAM is my favorite album of the year thus far. I think it's just shy of being a bona fide masterpiece, but there's no doubt in my mind it is a seminal work for that genre. Put it this way - if U2 deliver a record 70% as imaginative and cohesive as RAM, I'll be a very happy man.

--

RAM is not a masterpiece but a real surprise

Daft punk had their best times in the 90s and early 00s,
2010 they made the ost to Tron legacy, which was relative successful

but nobody had expected that they would come back with an album that even reached # 1 in the us and the single # 2 in the hot 100

i could have bet a lot of money against them 1 year ago

but hey u2 had this moment of surprise comeback several times

achtung baby
all that you can't...
and vertigo

they could have similar comeback soon

i just had a thought that Human After All is actually quite similar to Pop, just in the way that most of it sounded so much better live :wink:

but seriously i'd take that seemingly rushed, achingly repetitive album over most of Random Access Memories. I was SO disappointed with that album - for me it just turned out to be style over substance not to mention so fucking LONG. I'm annoyed that (even as a massive Daft Punk fan) i got really whipped up by the hype before it came out.

If U2 staged another whirlwind of comeback hype i'll try and avoid reading/listening to anything because right now I can't take two crushing blows in a year if the new U2 album turns out to be not as great as we hoped. :wink: Something tells me them keeping their traps shut this time will work out pretty well - they just need to finish it and once they're ready, release it into the wild as a download unannounced a week before the physical copies and let the news make itself :up:

Back
Top Bottom