Could be their most diverse album ever made?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Michael Griffiths

Rock n' Roll Doggie
Just realized this could be U2's most diverse album, given the comments about how they've recorded it. Apparently only a few songs were written in Morocco, yet they have many other songs written over the past few years that could also make the album.

My guess is a fusion type of album, perhaps like the White Album in a way. U2 could still string a Moroccon vibe throughout by simply interspersing the few Moroccon songs throughout an album that is made up of all kinds of other songs. This way there can be a certain unification or theme without each song necessarily being of the same ilk in sound. Many of the songs have, lest we forget, come from older recording sessions from Atomic Bomb and even prior, and some later with Rick Rubin in London and some also in France. Rather than U2 scrapping some potentially great songs (ie, the beachclips), I could just as easily see them putting together a bit of a hodgepodge with a common glue holding it all together. The result? Perhaps U2's most diverse album to date. Any thoughts?

Double album! :drool:

Okay, that might be pushing it I know, but all this talk about all these different sounds and ideas has me pretty excited about this release. I know it is still pure speculation.

But based on pure speculation, I'd say there is more than enough material for a double album. :wink:

from what I heard so far it could indeed be their most diverse album ever!!!

based on what I have not heard it could also be their least diverse album though

or something in between

:hmm:

Aygo said:
More diverse than Pop and Zooropa already were?
These albums are diverse in scope and style, but not so diverse in sound. Both albums are heavily infused with electronic sounds, especially Pop, and that runs pretty much all the way though either of them, which makes for a very unifying sound in either case. Zoopropa has a very European sound througout as well.

In the new album's case, however, by the looks of things -- and yes, I'm speculating, as we all are, and that's what this thread is obviously about -- for the first time in U2's history, we could get an album not just diverse in scope and style, but also in sound. To have an album diverse in both areas, is something I'm not too sure U2 has ever really accopmplished...or even gone for. That's what I'm getting at here.

Last edited:
Michael Griffiths said:

These albums are diverse in scope and style, but not so diverse in sound. Both albums are heavily infused with electronic sounds, especially Pop, and that runs pretty much all the way though either of them, which makes for a very unifying sound in either case. Zoopropa has a very European sound througout as well.

In the new album's case, however, by the looks of things -- and yes, I'm speculating, as we all are, and that's what this thread is obviously about -- for the first time in U2's history, we could get an album not just diverse in scope and style, but also in sound. To have an album diverse in both areas, is something I'm not too sure U2 has ever really accopmplished...or even gone for. That's what I'm getting at here.

well in my mind JT ---> AB is exactly what you're describing here, no?

But yes, I agree with you that this could potentially be one of U2's most diverse albums. Also, I'd rather they stay away from the double album. I'd rather a concise focused piece of work (can still mean a longer album) and take quality over quantity, as I think if U2 were to go down the double album road there would be a higher likelihood of inconsistency and sub par/ out of place songs.

Can't be more diverse sonically than Pop. And I don't think we'll see a double U2 album.

Edge said nothing from Rubin sessions was even presented to Eno and Lanois. My impression is they probably had some stuff from France but ultimately decided to work with the Morocco material.

Look, let's not get carried away with the 'Morocco' sound. In the past Bono has told us the band was marrying 'trip-hop with metal' (Pop) and we heard rumors that HTDAAB was 'straight on rock'...I'm not buying into the hype this time. I'm just patiently waiting for something...and I'm hoping it will be special.

I can't see U2 doing a double album. They are always shooting for the "perfect album" and I think the more songs they add to it the less the chance of that in their eyes.

gherman said:
I can't see U2 doing a double album. They are always shooting for the "perfect album" and I think the more songs they add to it the less the chance of that in their eyes.

I agree and it's a damn shame! A double album will be a nice change.

Use Your Illusion and the White Album weren't perfect but I loved them!

Michael Griffiths said:

I don't think so.
It's easy to see, for instance, that in Pop, some songs started with electronic elements, and some other started with the tradicional process with guitars. Yes, in the end, most of them have electronic sounds, but in a very different way. "Do You Feel Loved" is no way very similar to "If You Wear That Velvet Dress".

The same goes for Zooropa. I am sure that "Numb" was not born the same way that "Dirty Day" or "The Wanderer" were.

Sometimes it's a question of searching the genesis of the songs and not so much the final result.

Aygo said:

I don't think so.
It's easy to see, for instance, that in Pop, some songs started with electronic elements, and some other started with the tradicional process with guitars. Yes, in the end, most of them have electronic sounds, but in a very different way. "Do You Feel Loved" is no way very similar to "If You Wear That Velvet Dress".

The same goes for Zooropa. I am sure that "Numb" was not born the same way that "Dirty Day" or "The Wanderer" were.

Sometimes it's a question of searching the genesis of the songs and not so much the final result.
True that the songs are varied in composition, however that isn't really what I'm trying to say. I apologize for my lack of clerity. I'm simply saying the entire album is, be it Pop or Zooropa, unified in electronica and/or production throughout. It's more that all the songs have a similar tonality and sound, more than having similar composition. The production of Pop sounds similar throughout, for example, and, despite the difference in song structure and style, there is a definite "sound" to the album as a whole, as there is with Zooropa. By contrast, the White Album has a very varied feel to it in both scope and style and sound....

Michael Griffiths said:

True that the songs are varied in composition, however that isn't really what I'm trying to say. I apologize for my lack of clerity. I'm simply saying the entire album is, be it Pop or Zooropa, unified in electronica and/or production throughout. It's more that all the songs have a similar tonality and sound, more than having similar composition. The production of Pop sounds similar throughout, for example, and, despite the difference in song structure and style, there is a definite "sound" to the album as a whole, as there is with Zooropa. By contrast, the White Album has a very varied feel to it in both scope and style and sound....

Couldn't have put it better myself! :up:

Reggie Thee Dog said:
Look, let's not get carried away with the 'Morocco' sound. In the past Bono has told us the band was marrying 'trip-hop with metal' (Pop) and we heard rumors that HTDAAB was 'straight on rock'...I'm not buying into the hype this time. I'm just patiently waiting for something...and I'm hoping it will be special.

:yes:

I am SO TIRED of being disappointed by the tidbits and leaked comments of what the new albums are supposedly going to sound like, and what they actually sound like.

I'd rather have no expectations going in.

I'd rather be COMPLETELY BLOWN TO THE BACK OF THE ROOM DESPERATELY TRYING TO PLY MY MELTED BRAIN OFF MY BEDROOM WALL like I was the very first time I heard "The Fly" and was like What the hell was that??? O H M Y F U C K I N G G O D T H A T W A S A W E S O M E ! ! ! !

:drool: :combust: :rockon:

FitzChivalry said:

I'd rather be COMPLETELY BLOWN TO THE BACK OF THE ROOM DESPERATELY TRYING TO PLY MY MELTED BRAIN OFF MY BEDROOM WALL like I was the very first time I heard "The Fly" and was like What the hell was that??? O H M Y F U C K I N G G O D T H A T W A S A W E S O M E ! ! ! !

:drool: :combust: :rockon:

oh man, that's exactly what happened to me a few years ago. i was at my aunt's house in vegas, falling asleep to the elevation boston show on tv (it was really late), and then the fly woke me up -- my only albums up to this point were JT and ATYCLB, i didn't even know about AB, and the fly completely melted my brain. yes, i want shit like that too.

discothequeLP said:

oh man, that's exactly what happened to me a few years ago. i was at my aunt's house in vegas, falling asleep to the elevation boston show on tv (it was really late), and then the fly woke me up -- my only albums up to this point were JT and ATYCLB, i didn't even know about AB, and the fly completely melted my brain. yes, i want shit like that too.

I felt the same way! But regarding the last 2 "poppy" albums those days are over...

U2 is in bussiness right now and every step is calculated.

http://forum.interference.com/t186330.html

Read the last 3 pages

BonoVoxSupastar said:
U2 has always been a business. Talk about blindness...

:up:

With a very astute businessman leading them, and over the years, the other four have learned the ways of the business end of things, as well.

I don't get why people fault them for this, it's their profession.

poster39922903uz7.jpg

BonoVoxSupastar said:

Oh, believe me if they did this half this forum would scream 'money grab'...

Why? Just cos a double album is more expensive? But you're getting more songs anyway! :scratch:

Zootlesque said:

Why? Just cos a double album is more expensive? But you're getting more songs anyway! :scratch:

Exactly. I think, though, the original poster was talking about the Use Your Illusion example, since that was a double album where each disc was released individually. Doing that generally costs more than releasing a double album where the two discs are sold together.

Zootlesque said:

Tourist is right, I'm not talking about a double album, I'm talking about Use Your Illusion which is two seperate albums with a lot of filler that could have easily been one album.

Oh I don't know about a LOT of filler... some filler maybe. The UYI albums are very close to my heart! :wink:

Back
Top Bottom