Corbijn: "I'm doing the cover for the new U2 album"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2girl

Blue Crack Addict
A poster on atu2.com said Corbijn was interviewed in Australia, and said this on the topic of the band:

"The album October didn't speak to me. But we've worked together for more than 25 years. That has never happened in the music industry.
I'm doing the cover for the new U2 album. They're still working on it. I've heard some recordings-it's very good. We just worked for a week in Morocco. They're always pushing the boat out. They're a thinking man's rock band, so intelligent, yet they're rock stars. There's an incredible combination of things in that band."

Zootlesque said:
I hope it's not as bad as his cover for HTDAAB! :lol:

That wasn't his mistake. The band somehow wanted to be portrayed as a bunch of lazy old guys sitting on a bench.

angelordevil said:
If I were in a band, the cover art would come after the songs are completed. :shrug:

Well a lot of the Achtung Baby photos were taken while in studio, so maybe they're going with a similar theme...

I'm not sure during which stage of the album creation the album cover is created, could they actually be trying to surprise us with a Spring release?

BANZAI said:

That wasn't his mistake. The band somehow wanted to be portrayed as a bunch of lazy old guys sitting on a bench.

:lmao:

Absolutely WORST possible cover a rock band in their 40s could possibly use. :tsk:

I am kinda excited to see what they have cooking for the next design, though. They had an awful lot of colors in those shots from the Morocco recordings, and Morocco's been the source for some great visuals for them in the past....

The cover of HTDAAB should have been Bono kicking the beach ball at Slane Castle.

The cover of this one should be The Edge on fire.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

Well a lot of the Achtung Baby photos were taken while in studio, so maybe they're going with a similar theme...

That's actually a really great point...maybe too good. :grumpy:

I guess another factor is how busy Anton is. He's not exactly sitting back, waiting for work. I'm really looking forward to seeing his new film.

Anu said:
Can anyone source this quote?

Can't find the article online, but he was definitely in Sydney & Melbourne last week promoting Control. Not a word on U2 in the couple of interviews I saw (apart from general referencing in regard to his overall work).

And as I type this, Vertigo comes on the radio. Typical.

From that link:

I did some nice pictures of Brian Eno in Morocco recently. We were with U2 for a week in Morocco for a shoot, but I don’t know what ends up being used with that.

and this one:
http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,20151379_3,00.html

What are you working on now?

Talking about my bloody film every day [laughs]. It's hard to get started on something else. But I have done a DVD for a friend of mine of a live concert I designed the stage for. I'm doing some photographs now and again. Recently, I did Dave Gahan's new album, and some commercial things, like the last season of The Sopranos, and I photographed U2 in Morocco.

Wow, I cannot wait to see the pictures Anton took in Morrocco. I hope the new album cover and booklet will be a little artsy and original.

Has anyone got any links to or quotes about the HTDAAB cover. I can't remember seeing anything about it from the band's point of view or from Anton. It did nothing for me personally but hey..

:hmm:
Would they use Corbijn for that "Passengers part II" thingie with Eno/Lanois in Morocco ? Maybe he mixed up that and the official U2 album.

i'm wondering if we're going to be getting a "Kid A"/"Amnesiac" type double release spaced apart by a few months with a brief tour in between, and then something big in 2009. it might be like MDH/ATYCLB, but i'd guess there's going to be more U2 than on MDH, and there are going to be more songs than on Passengers.

if memory serves, they were doing photography for Bomb in July (when Edge "lost" the CD) and that album came out mid-November, but it was considered "done" by July.

interesting times, these are.

Back
Top Bottom