Confirmed Album Cover - Grey Boxes Are? / U2 Album Cover Rip-Off?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

What are those grey boxes?

• Boxes = Text Placeholder

Votes: 88 27.5%
  • Boxes = Something Else Open Interpretation

Votes: 164 51.3%
  • Boxes = Nothing

Votes: 68 21.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I'm surprised no one is talking about the "not embedded" in the cover thing. How will it work? What will it look like?

I took that as meaning it's obvious that the equal sign isn't part of the image, and that it's there as a concept, not a concrete part of the photograph. Like most text on a photo.

You must love Silver Gelatin prints.

That's right.

With the "not embedded" thing I got the impression that it would be on a different layer or something.

It's obvious that the = isn't part of the actual image, I just thought they would add a special effect in the artwork by adding a kind of removable layer.

That's right.

With the "not embedded" thing I got the impression that it would be on a different layer or something.

It's obvious that the = isn't part of the actual image, I just thought they would add a special effect in the artwork by adding a kind of removable layer.

Maybe its a hologram or something similar to that where depending on how you hold the booklet the sign comes and goes. Maybe its only on the plastic CD cover or sleeve. IDK, but I'm sure it'll be subtle and appropriate.

I love the cover the way it is...

But am I the only one who thinks it would be even cooler with text on the bottom (NOT instead of the boxes, of course.) I mean... someone sees the cover and reads "No Line on the Horizon"... and then thinks: "WTF? But there's a line! Why?"... It makes people think.

I love the cover the way it is...

But am I the only one who thinks it would be even cooler with text on the bottom (NOT instead of the boxes, of course.) I mean... someone sees the cover and reads "No Line on the Horizon"... and then thinks: "WTF? But there's a line! Why?"... It makes people think.

Eh....I guess it could work with text. But there is something really great about having a cover that coveys some sort of message or feeling that could be universally understood around the world. Math is universal where specific languages are not. Thats the biggest appeal of the cover for me personally.

^Yeah, you're right. I'm not from an english-speaking country and I forget that not everyone speaks english. :doh:

But anyway, it would work well where english is the first lanaguage. :wink:

Cold feet, anyone?

First this guy is trying to draw attention to himself by bringing up this non-issue, than he's backing off. Good to have had your name in the media for a couple of days, dude.

Looking at the two pictures I have to say that, of course, there is a similarity, these are two black and while pictures of water and sky, but U2's look different, it has a different lightning, looks darker, has the frame and, not to forget, the infamous = sign.

And what is that blurb about not seeking legal damages? Maybe someone should tell that guy that he's not the original artist. :huh:

Cold feet, anyone?

First this guy is trying to draw attention to himself by bringing up this non-issue, than he's backing off. Good to have had your name in the media for a couple of days, dude.

Looking at the two pictures I have to say that, of course, there is a similarity, these are two black and while pictures of water and sky, but U2's look different, it has a different lightning, looks darker, has the frame and, not to forget, the infamous = sign.

And what is that blurb about not seeking legal damages? Maybe someone should tell that guy that he's not the original artist. :huh:

It's actually the same picture supposedly, same artist at least.

I love how it sounds like he's scolding the readers.

"Who cares!?! This post was intended, half in jest, for the 300 faithful readers of my blog to show them that something we had done was just done by a band as massive as U2. Aren't there more important things to worry about now? Stop wasting your time here. Go do something that matters."

In other words: you whined about something, people shrugged and then stopped to ask " .... and who the hell are you?" and now you're pissy about it.

Its downright impossible to cover up when you're back peddling. It actually makes it seem more obvious. He would have done himself justice to just let it go without making any further comments.

I still love the cover...and think its quite possibly their most iconic and best ever. But that's just me. Hopefully the music will kick as much ass as the cover does.

There is a (line on the) horizon on the album cover.

A while back I ridiculed U2 for choosing such a nonsensical album title, No Line on the Horizon. Amazingly, many people here didn't quite understand that a horizon IS, in fact, a LINE. The album title is basically the equivalent of saying "no line on the line." Complete idiotic. The album should be called No Horizon, because if you can't see where the earth (or sea) ends and the sky begins for whatever reason, the horizon does not exist. The horizon is not a concrete thing, but rather what we perceive as a boundary of sorts.

But since then, I've given U2 some artistic leeway on the title. Why the heck not? Songwriters make these inane proclamations all the time. Not like U2 will realize their mistake and change the title now. Regardless, you would think the album cover would visually represent as closely as possible what "no line on the horizon" would look like. WRONG. This horizon (or the "line on the horizon", for the semantically-challenged) is as visible as the zits on a 14-year-old. Which makes the album title even more laughable. If you're gonna NAME it "no line", there should BE "no line", even one that is blurry in an attempt to mimic the intended meaning.

To show you what an album cover with no horizon SHOULD look like, here are some photos I found on the internet with horizons clearly missing. (Consequently, all of the following photos were titled or captioned 'No Horizon' on the webpages on which they were found.)

00sunrise27jan2008.jpg

No+Horizon+1.jpg

00nohorizon.jpg

i was thinking the same thing the other day.

or maybe they're just drawing attention to the fact that the sea and sky are one, and there actually is no line (even tho there is one) and that's why there's an equal sign on the cover - i dunno.

Your name, "GibsonExplorer," strikes me as rather odd and perhaps nonsensical. I mean, are you really a guitar? Is your town or significant other named "Gibson," and you are the explorer of that Gibson?

Alas, I'll give you the benefit of artistic license....

Your name, "GibsonExplorer," strikes me as rather odd and perhaps nonsensical. I mean, are you really a guitar? Is your town or significant other named "Gibson," and you are the explorer of that Gibson?

Alas, I'll give you the benefit of artistic license....

hey my handle is only that, a handle. My reputation wouldn't be affected by one way or the other even if I called myself shitzforbrains--well, maybe a little. However, this is an album title from a world-renowned rock band. You'd expect better than that.

Meh, this is the same band that named an album after a line from "The Producers."

Yeah, I had a pretty rough time on here when I pointed out that the cover is the OPPOSITE of the meaning of the sentence.

I think you're being a little too strict to complain about the title itself, but it would have made more sense if the visual had matched the title.....

I have a feeling the band will get made fun of for DECADES to come for picking a picture with a big thick black line on the horizon for this album..... although it is a pretty picture! LOL!

Back
Top Bottom