Confirmed Album Cover - Grey Boxes Are? / U2 Album Cover Rip-Off?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

What are those grey boxes?

• Boxes = Text Placeholder

Votes: 88 27.5%
  • Boxes = Something Else Open Interpretation

Votes: 164 51.3%
  • Boxes = Nothing

Votes: 68 21.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Yeah I hope there is some text under the box's ! Or else it looks like a Take That album cover......ugghh......:lol:.........:no:

Now that is a thought I would MUCH rather prefer than this :huh:

chris-martin.jpg

The Gray Boxes are just an optical illusion to make the horizon within disappear if you look at it with your peripheral. also, there could be trickery involved if Bono's idea is incorporated with the tool- aenima style lines

^ I'm sure it is an optical illusion. If you move the album or turn it upside down, the horizon will disappear. There are certainly several meanings to the two bars or boxes. One of them being an "equal" symbol which can have a lot of meanings. I think it's exciting because it can be interpreted in different ways.

I think the grey lines are not placeholders, and that the album title will still be in the top right hand corner. The equals sign is an extension of the art methinks.

Sorry if someone mentioned this already, but hasn't Bono mentioned that this album is a balance of dark and light and that balance exists in some of the songs too? So maybe the = sign is simply conveying that since it's smack between the 'sky and sea' or light and dark. It's definitely different than their previous covers. Anji, nice allusion to Chris Martin!! haha. I can imagine what would happen on this forum if that was indeed what the symbol referred to.

One post offered a thought I had not considered, the gray bars could be for cut outs, text, and other variants based on the different packaging options – that makes some sense to me.

However, stickers with text does not: I have not been in Target lately but it seems like jewel cases with stickers that say “Featuring the Hit Single ‘“Every Rose Has A Thorn’” are mostly used by bands still working to break through a bit – just my opinion.

I still think they are using them as placeholders and it could very well be that they have not agreed on a font or text arrangement – a band that takes 5 years between albums might take 5 weeks to figure out a font and select a font at the very last minute -- maybe to prevent Fake Album Cover Art Threads (-:

Bono says a lot of stuff about their records, hmm and how much of it actually comes true? 60%?

If the artist is so famous, why not build the final cover release up a bit more? Seems like the U2 PR Machine missed some opportunities with Track Listings and (alleged) album cover art.

IF it is an equal sign, it’s too darn fat.

All in good fun, all in MHO.

I can't believe 35% of the people who voted think these are place holders!:lol: I'm sorry but it's absurd to think that they would put this image all over the place (on their website, in press releases) without being the actual cover.

It's possible to have geometric shapes that look out of place on a picture. It's called art, it's meant to sometimes be confusing and be opened to different interpretations. Is the only thing that can fit on an album cover a straight-forward picture of the band or something else that is easily recognisable or understandable?

I can't believe 35% of the people who voted think these are place holders!:lol: I'm sorry but it's absurd to think that they would put this image all over the place (on their website, in press releases) without being the actual cover.

It's possible to have geometric shapes that look out of place on a picture. It's called art, it's meant to sometimes be confusing and be opened to different interpretations. Is the only thing that can fit on an album cover a straight-forward picture of the band or something else that is easily recognisable or understandable?

Agreed....they are not place holders.

Its an = sign people!!!!!

like back in math class: A + B = C

were we all asleep in that class? or was it just me? :wink:

Some of us voted for that after only seeing the image in one place and may have changed their minds based on additional information.

:angry: Don't judge me!

;)

In one sense it may be an equals sign, but this is zen art. It's meant to be looked at and pondered.

Notice that both of the boxes are exactly the same shade.

Yet, in their placement, a casual glance might mistake them for being different shades. The box in the dark sea appears lighter, and the box in the white sky appears darker. You have to FOCUS and concentrate to see them in their reality and non-duality.

That's what zen art is all about.

I think it's a brilliant album cover - it's iconic, it's a riddle and an optical illusion. Many layered, hopefully, like the music itself.

Oceane -- why is it so absurd to reach a rational conclusion; you reached one, based on your thoughts.

Why would the artist not aspire for more publcity at the same time this album cover (allegedly) is released -- there is nothing on his / her website that smacks of U2 related publicty.

Why wouldn't the gallery that represents the artist not have a news release or web content? Don't you think the gallery and the artist would like some buzz and PR while the irons are hot?

Why wait? In a down economy wouldn't an artist and gallery, arguably very discretionary spends even for the affluent, want to milk this for all its worth?

Fraenkel Gallery | San Francisco Photography Gallery

Hiroshi Sugimoto

Its equally absurd, IMO, for a band that wants to grow its fanbase and appeal to a younger, tech savvy generation to exclude their band name and album title on a CD cover for point of purchase and display reasons in Target or Wal-Mart

A sticker on the cellophane, maybe.

But completely blank and devoid of identifying text? Come on, the average teenager walkign by would see this artwork without a band name or album title and think "classical" music and stroll right over to the Wii section and pick up a game instead.

Were gonna find out soon enogh.

It is two grey cousins of those black stones from Kubricks 2001. Did anyone hear the news from Nasa yesterday??

Cover Clues Theme of the Album?

***Apologies if this has been mentioned. Feel free to disregard***

I'm liking this album artwork. It's nice to have a U2 album where there is meaning to be found in the artwork. I think their choice to not include themselves on the cover was a good move. Be known for how great the album (hopefully) is. Since this is one of the more artistic approaches to a U2 album cover, I wanted to open this up for deeper discussion. What is the album artwork telling us about the album? Until we all hear it of course, there will be no way to know for sure...

I believe there is a lot more visually happening here than I have heard mentioned yet. Here are some questions I asked myself while examining the artwork. My own conclusions are written afterwards.

1. The cover is black & white, and mostly divided by their prospective colors. With all of the imagery being used to describe the album, why such a mundane palette of colors?

2. A pool of light is at the water's center in the blacker bottom half, suggesting what exactly?

3. The = sign. The great mystery. Kind of reminds me of the box in 2001 (the movie). I see something else completely. More on that is just a sec.

4. The title is No Line on the Horizon, yet on the cover the Horizon is very clearly defined. An obvious contradiction? What could be implied here?

What does all of this mean about the theme of the record?

The horizon line is a particularly interesting choice here. Being as though a good majority of the world is ocean and sky, I'm going with this particular horizon line symbolizing the world as a whole. This particular image depicts the world as a place of light and darkness.

The ray of light on the ocean water is telling me that there is hope for the darkness in our world, but the ripples on the water indicate that it is not easy to overcome, unlike the smooth sky.

The equal sign is the great riddle here isn't it? It's the only element that isn't present in the world that exists in the photograph. Two straight lines, one on the light, one on the dark. But let's remove the background for a second. The obvious choice here is to see an = sign. But let me offer a different take. Two lines that don't touch. There's a term for that. Oh yeah, parallel. Two lines, side by side, and having the same distance between them. Very interesting. But let's look at the musical definition of parallel: containing or denoting successful intervals of the same size in otherwise independent voices.

Notice on the "box set" artwork, there is a graphic displayed U=2, but aligned vertically. It's interesting here that they tie this symbol to their name. Could this be a symbolic representation of the band as they know themselves now in 2009? Independent, yet parallel people?

Let's bring this all together now.

It is wrong to percieve the world as black and white, divided into two halves, light and dark. We as a society of earth-beings need to get past this. We need to evolve to a higher standard of respecting each other. The = symbol (as I am calling it) divides these two falsehoods of the world. The band have accepted that they all contain both light and dark tendencies in life, but always keep faith and optimism regarding their own dark rippled ocean. They are parallel musically and personally in that they all have different voices, but can exist together in the same time and space. And by doing so, they have gotten to do what they love for a very long time now, which has been both challenging and rewarding.

Maybe with this album and the melodies that now lie within it, we all can learn to accept each other's light and dark natures and coexist on both sides of the horizon, forever blurring it's lines and allowing everyone to live their own lives without disrupting the lines of others, for everyone has the right to life.

Back
Top Bottom