Chris Evans to hear new album at Mercury Records tomorrow

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Promotion-wise, that wouldn't make much sense.

If you heard Boots, you've heard it all. No need to listen to the whole album, because everything there goes downhill from GOYB.

I don't agree with you.
Vertigo did not represent HTDAAB at all!

The Fly did, Discotheque did also, BD not that much either....

For some reason, I don't think it will be close to the best song of the album.

bad was a song that was kind of 'improve' and done mostly in one take...that song turned out pretty well

I don't agree with you.
Vertigo did not represent HTDAAB at all!

The Fly did, Discotheque did also, BD not that much either....

For some reason, I don't think it will be close to the best song of the album.

I wasn't serious. I think we all would be happy if GOYB was indeed one of the "weaker" songs on the album (and I really like the song), because than we'd have even more to look forward to. Just imagine all of them would have named GOYB as their favourite song on the album, people here would despair. :wink:

Anyway, I think BD represented ATYCLB very well.

So what are you thinking--maybe an extra EP or something?

maybe the album blows and they don't want it getting out that it blows before the release date so they're being extra super dooper cautious...

or maybe it's the greatest... thing... ever... and they want to get as many sales as possible.

likely it's somewhere in between and they're just trying to protect their investment because the record company is going out of business and they need every penny they can get.

what's so bad about the lyrics? i really like the "Satan bomb scare" and "Submarine/Gasoline" lines.

it seems like Bono's lyrics are a convenient thing to go after, yet no one ever has examples of why his lyrics are so bad, other than citing "Elevation" over and over again.

i love every lyric except for the "sexy boots/get on your boots" chorus/chants/lines whateve rwe're calling them... i think if they would have come up with something different htere, and i don't know what it is but something different, i'd like the song a lot more than i do.

don't get me wrong... i don't dislike the song, and i'm liking it more and more with each listen... but i still hate the "sexy boots... get on your boots..." part.

What I don't get is why would they let someone hear the whole album but not let them talk about it? I mean wouldn't the whole purpose of letting someone hear the album is for them to go and talk about it/hype it up?? I think universal is really being unreasonable about this whole thing these days. Like talking about it is really going to damage sales grrr.

i love every lyric except for the "sexy boots/get on your boots" chorus/chants/lines whateve rwe're calling them... i think if they would have come up with something different htere, and i don't know what it is but something different, i'd like the song a lot more than i do.

don't get me wrong... i don't dislike the song, and i'm liking it more and more with each listen... but i still hate the "sexy boots... get on your boots..." part.

i have the exact same opinion.

I agree. There is no point in letting someone hear the album and not let them talk about it. Unless they didn't like it.

May I ask why?

I'm actually dreading Moment Of Surrender.

1. No way it lives up to the hype in a million years.

2. A 7 minute song recorded in one take? Sounds like potentially aimless wankery to me.

3. It's sandwiched in between Magnificent and Unknown Caller, two tracks I honestly believe could be all-time U2 classics.

Exit is a snippet of a one take jam.

I wasn't serious. I think we all would be happy if GOYB was indeed one of the "weaker" songs on the album (and I really like the song), because than we'd have even more to look forward to. Just imagine all of them would have named GOYB as their favourite song on the album, people here would despair. :wink:

Most established bands release as a first single the most attention-getting song with the most immediate appeal. Quite often that's also the most lightweight, superficial and disposable song on the album. Think Discotheque or Numb. Bands also like to time the 2nd release with the launch of their tour, so that people are well-familiar with the first release and excited about the second.

In other words, unless we've all been lied to by everyone who's heard it, there will be a lot of slow-growers on this album...some Bads, Stays, Pleases and Ones.

:lol:

That's one of my favorite parts

Alright....:lol:
I didn't know you were not serious.... hard to tell sometimes...:hmm:

yes, but wouldn't releasing an alt version of a song before anyone's heard the album version be equally stupid?

possibly, but it makes more sense to put an alt. version on a single instead of an actual album track. Unless the alt. version is a real departure from the album, from which have read it is. Eno's version was real ambient, the one on the album is more of a rock tune. (made in olympic)

I don't get this. Why is the song on the single AND on the album, at least as bonus track? And will the UK get the same bonus track?

thats why i said an alternate version-i think the alt version will be the preorder special and either 'every breaking wave' or 'tripoli' will be the itunes exclusive

May I ask why?

i find it incredibly cheesey and corny and pink/gwen stefani like.

i do think the main lyrics are political in nature... and perhaps someone can describe to me how sexy boots are some sort of metaphor for something or another, and maybe that's true... but i just... i dunno.

perhaps i can just admit that i just don't get what the hell sexy boots has to do with anything else going on in the song.

i take it as a sort of trading in of the military jackboots of the past for the fun, sparkly, individualistic boots of the future -- and since we're talking about boots, there's some grit and determination in there (it's not "get on your high heels" or "get on your Keds").

i think it's about self-realization and self-actualization -- "you don't know how beautiful you are" -- and getting on the right pair of boots is the first step in the right direction away from the past and towards the future.

thats why i said an alternate version-i think the alt version will be the preorder special and either 'every breaking wave' or 'tripoli' will be the itunes exclusive

Yes, I meant the alternative version. According to some websites, the alternative version of NLOTH will be on the album as bonus track, at least in Australia and, I think, Japan. No word yet about the bonus track on the UK version. I find it a little strange that they release a song on a single that is later also released on the album.

i do think the main lyrics are political in nature... and perhaps someone can describe to me how sexy boots are some sort of metaphor for something or another, and maybe that's true... but i just... i dunno.

perhaps i can just admit that i just don't get what the hell sexy boots has to do with anything else going on in the song.

the video may provide some insight into that

i take it as a sort of trading in of the military jackboots of the past for the fun, sparkly, individualistic boots of the future -- and since we're talking about boots, there's some grit and determination in there (it's not "get on your high heels" or "get on your Keds").

i think it's about self-realization and self-actualization -- "you don't know how beautiful you are" -- and getting on the right pair of boots is the first step in the right direction away from the past and towards the future.

well i do think the song, lyricaly, is about america... and americans are a bunch of cowboys... who wear boots...

fuck if i know. i still don't like the boots part... love the rest of the song though.

Yes, I meant the alternative version. According to some websites, the alternative version of NLOTH will be on the album as bonus track, at least in Australia and, I think, Japan. No word yet about the bonus track on the UK version. I find it a little strange that they release a song on a single that is later also released on the album.

that was a practice that has been done many a time before by other acts.

recently, when pearl jam release "world wide suicide" they included "unemployable" as the b-side... both were on the album which had not yet been released.

I believe that Lanois (on the Making Of...) also said that Running to Stand Still was another of those "one take" tracks too (like Bad was). :drool:

Maybe Bono's into sexy terrorist mamas now ?

Eyeliner, sexy boots/you don't know how beautiful you are talk...

Back
Top Bottom