Cedarwood Road - Song Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Seriously the end of this song is so fucking good. Bono's best and most passionate performance on the album, and Edge is just killing it too.

Come on people this song deserves a much better hype train than this. Best U2 song in a decade, if not longer. Bono's the weak link on most of this album, but not here. Here he actually gives it all.

Come on people this song deserves a much better hype train than this. Best U2 song in a decade, if not longer. Bono's the weak link on most of this album, but not here. Here he actually gives it all.

I agree. I think his vocals are AWOL on the entire album.

Sent from my SM-T210 using U2 Interference mobile app

I'm sure the riff is from one of the clips that were released on U2.com from the NLOTH sessions. The one with Edge in the recording booth.

Does anyone else find it extremely moving that U2 capture the spirit of their youth in the city they grew up in, not only in this song but in almost all the songs on the album? I think it's a kind of autobiography in form of an album, a musical book. I really love that the original concept of making a "Dublin" album has eventually come to realisation.

California, the well-known Dublin suburb.

It's also about leaving Dublin in the early days. Invisible is about that as well.

Cedarwood is dedicated to Guggi. Most of these songs are also tributes to people who shaped U2 early on, and some of them are still there in their lives.

Really interesting mix of sounds here. I'm getting a very Beatles vibe from the verses, especially the walking bass and Bono's melody. then we have Edge's bluesy riff, and the chorus actually reminds me of Red Hot Chili Peppers of all things. really, really cool song, and "You can't return to where you've never left" is a standout line.

This is one of three that are on repeat at this stage. This, EBW and raised by wolves.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

I like the heavy riff and melody/tone of the verses separately and independently. I wish it were two songs. Overall, it would be great if they kept if gritty but not complaining. Far superior to songs like Love & Peace and Breathe. Although I'm pretty sure the chorus melody is from an old Oasis song.

I'm sure the riff is from one of the clips that were released on U2.com from the NLOTH sessions. The one with Edge in the recording booth.

I think this is the song that "Stand Up Comedy" wanted to be...

This song is quickly become a favourite. I'm digging them getting the Led out. This thing is really going to come off live.

Exactly and same here. I feel like that ending is everything they wanted the ending of Crumbs to be, but they actually pulled it off this time.

Correct it's from the fez sessions there is a video knocking around somewhere of it

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference

Exactly and same here. I feel like that ending is everything they wanted the ending of Crumbs to be, but they actually pulled it off this time.

That's a really good way of putting it. It's the first effective dark rock song that U2 have made in... awhile.

This is the lyric that works the best for me top to bottom on the album, I love this track.

Back
Top Bottom