Cedars Of Lebanon appreciation thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
First time I heard it, it literally gave me goosebumps at the end. Very powerful song :heart:

Man... love it when Bono drops some straight poetry on us. Best lyrics since I can't remember when...

LOVE this song. Incredible. Probably won't play it live, however... just a feeling.

moving up the rankings on NLOTH for me....this song is incredible.

best lyrics on the record, love the chorus.

Best track of the album, by a country mile

As I posted on the stevehoffman forum, THIS should be U2's direction :heart:

Easily the best closer since LIB. All of the lyrics on this album are strong, but they really shine here.

Larry and Adam break into and drive this song without taking it over from the guitar and Bono's searching lyrics. Masterful!

A live show could end COL>40 or COL>LIB

Best track of the album, by a country mile

As I posted on the stevehoffman forum, THIS should be U2's direction :heart:

hey ponkine, glad you like it!! :) my favourite track as well. and if the next album is indeed like this then :drool:

They should have started the album with Magnificent and ended it with NLOTH2.

no way. Cedars is the perfect closer. and I can't see NLOTH anywhere but the beginning. and NLOTH 2 kind of sucks.

That's the general consensus around here. But I feel it has an energy the album version lacks. And I bet they play this version live.

Actually I don't think it's the general consensus. The album version did get a lot of love in my thread but in the NLOTH 2 vs GOYB poll NLOTH 2 was winning like 2 to 1.

Actually I don't think it's the general consensus. The album version did get a lot of love in my thread but in the NLOTH 2 vs GOYB poll NLOTH 2 was winning like 2 to 1.

cause GOYB sucks :wink:

back on topic, Cedar's is indeed the best song, my favorite :heart::heart:

I love the synthesizer in this song, the sampled vocals are great too. My favorite part is the first time Bono and Edge sing "Return the call to home"...Edge's guitar there is so awesome, it's simple yet compliments the song perfectly.

As said in a different thread the electric piano of the intro (that continues throughout the song) is a sample from Harold Budd and Brian Eno's The pearl album (co-produced by Daniel Lanois).

The Pearl is beautiful album, and this sample is used in a wonderful way (turning what was originally ambient noodling into the basis for a song).

According to these credits Harold Budd is credited:

U2.COM OFFICIAL STORE - No Line On The Horizon (Vinyl)

What surprises me more is that Eno is not. One of the beautiful synth loops in the song (it's difficult to describe) is a very Eno-ish sound, I was sure it was him.

Oh well, these things are hardly precise when you work for so long in an album.

In any case it's a really beautiful song, experimental and really successful

there's a voice that come out a couple of time during the song....it's seems like a soldier on a trasmittent....someone can understand what it says?

there's a voice that come out a couple of time during the song....it's seems like a soldier on a trasmittent....someone can understand what it says?

I'd like to know that too...

Bono, PLEASE SING LIKE THIS MORE OFTEN!!!!!

I want more of this, just this. This is heaven. :love:

do you think that the quality of this MP3 isn't as good as the others?
Is it really "hissy" at the beginning.... or is it just me? :reject:

Back
Top Bottom