California (There Is No End To Love) - Song Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's really grown on me and I think that the right video can make it into a hit. Either some kind of single take crazy video involving a well known actress going through different parts of the Universal Studios back lot or they could use their Apple connections to get Pixar to make a music video.

I know this has to have been already mentioned but this sounds like an influence of a Beach Boys song Barbara Ann at the beginning. This is the song that after a few listens is starting to grow on me the most.

This is the song that initially appealed to me the most. Then after a few listens, I was finally able to absorb that 2nd half, and now it's one of the weakest songs for me. Still very good though, and I look forward to singing along with it next year!

Mike Love and Brian Wilson walk onto stage with a pack of wolves...howl in harmony.

Wow this one has become absolute #1 on my list now for sure. I thought after more listens it would slip but it's only become stronger. Turn it up while driving and it's just one of those feel good songs to sing along. :love: :dance:

This song is still growing on me. I do like it. Definitely do not hate it or anything. But I still don't care for the synthy Killers sound and tempo too much. It is still one of my least fav tracks on this album.

I rated this last when I first heard the album. I've just finished my 52nd listen to the album and its REALLY grown on me over the past few listens. Hope it gets a single release and gets played live.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Absolutely love this and is by far their best shot of a hit single. It's absolutely stunning. I hope they get the video just right eg not featuring the band playing live.

Also the opening chant thingy no longer bothers me in the least, and at first I didn't care for it. This song started out good for me, but has done nothing but get better from there. :up: :D

:reject: I'll admit I need to give some of the other songs more of a chance though. I haven't had time to give the album endless listens, and although I've heard all of them at least a few times, I keep going back to this one the most.

Impressed at how often in this song Bono hits A-4 notes at full open voice. But I worry it may be difficult to sing live.

Sent from my SM-G900I using U2 Interference mobile app

This is really becoming one of my favorites

CALIFORNIA!
then we fell into the shiny sea
the weight that drags your heart down
well that's what took me where I need to be
which is here, out on Zuma
watchin' you cry like a baby

god I love that verse :D and Edge's solo toward the last chorus is always cranked up loud in the car. Yes it is the perfect driving song.

I love this song

i haven't listened to it for a couple of days but it got me the other day when i was busy doing something, the lines "there is no end to love" & "ive seen for myself there's no end to grief"

I had a hard time getting out of that moment but i did eventually.

This album has been a very positive one for me, and thankfully, i don't have many moments of grief when im listening to it.

I really like this song, but more importantly my 12 year daughter loves it. She says it is her new favorite song. If a 12 year old girl likes it, I think that bodes well for its ability to play well on the radio and become a hit.

My almost 8 year old son is loving the album but RBW is his favorite. My almost 6 year old daughter is kind of "meh" on the whole thing but she seems to like California (probably due to a connection with Katy Perry)

Anyhow, its a great driving tune and one that seems to just fit on this album.

It's really grown on me and I think that the right video can make it into a hit. Either some kind of single take crazy video involving a well known actress going through different parts of the Universal Studios back lot or they could use their Apple connections to get Pixar to make a music video.

A Pixar video is an awesome idea!

Though when I first heard the song I imagined it as being kind of an upbeat prequel to Don Henley's "boys of summer" :reject:

Dont like it. The only one on the album I can't get my teeth into nor do I feel like getting my teeth into. I thought if I listened to it as I read the lyrics I would maybe like it. but I didnt. And just as well, lyrics can enhance one's enjoyment of a song but except for some rare instances they really should not create the enjoyment of the song.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using U2 Interference mobile app

I really like this song, but more importantly my 12 year daughter loves it. She says it is her new favorite song. If a 12 year old girl likes it, I think that bodes well for its ability to play well on the radio and become a hit.

This is likely exactly why I don't like this song.

It sounds like something a 12 year old girl would like.

I think this song could've been a great closer to the album. I know, blasphemy. But it seems like rebirth, and following the church bells in the beginning, it's them out of Dublin, out of the darkness. California is Heaven.

Doesn't hurt that the song is fucking great. I never thought I would like this but it really is a joyful song.

You hear that, BVS? Joy.

So, was it Edge that was crying like a baby, in a mirror, when his building plans got turned down?

I think this song could've been a great closer to the album. I know, blasphemy. But it seems like rebirth, and following the church bells in the beginning, it's them out of Dublin, out of the darkness. California is Heaven.

Doesn't hurt that the song is fucking great. I never thought I would like this but it really is a joyful song.

You hear that, BVS? Joy.

Blasphemy is right! :angry: The Troubles is a stellar closer.

But I do see what you are saying about California, perhaps it there could be a reprise "version" at the end of SOE or SOA I suppose. :hmm:

This is likely exactly why I don't like this song.

It sounds like something a 12 year old girl would like.

I'd say there is a difference between an "ordinary" 12 year old girl and the daughter of an interferencer though.

My kids hear more U2, Depeche Mode, Arcade Fire, Killers, Coldplay :reject:, Roxy Music, Bowie etc. around our house than Katy Perry, Taylor Swift, and 1D. so they do appreciate the more "accessible" U2 tracks. OSV1 on the other hand gets WTF looks from the kids.

So, was it Edge that was crying like a baby, in a mirror, when his building plans got turned down?

Nah. If it had been, then the next line would have been something about "wiping away tears with your piles of money."

You hear that, BVS? Joy.

Ha. This was my least favorite song at first, but yeah, it's quickly becoming one of my favorites on the album, and you hit it on the head for me.

It's just a good, fun, joyful song. Total pop, but whatever -- it's good at what it does. The Katy Perry rip off whoaohoh bugs me a little, but doesn't ruin the song for me.

I feel so conflicted about the song. For the most part, it feels like a Katty Perry Song. There are worse things in pop music than Katty Perry, but U2 is supposed to be better than her, and better than this.

And yet, I can't bring myself to hate the song. I think it's Larry and Adam who save it. It has a drive and power which you would never find in a Katty Perry song.

I think it's evolving into a guilty pleasure for me. I have no idea how I'll feel when I hear it played live.

Still, it's my 10th favorite out of 11. Only Song for Someone ranks lower.

Back
Top Bottom