Buying Standard CD Only -- Anyone Else?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The box set contents are not worth the price imo. I'll wait to try to get one later for about $30. Its really not worth more than that to me. I'll stick with regular CD for now.

Just watched Linear. Ya definately go with the basic CD. It's like one of those French movies where nothing happens.

I laughed at the part of Fez - Being Born where the guy stops at a diner and we listen to the song while the serving wench chews on her nails and close ups of the guy eating his meal through the whole song. Though the mustaschioed dancing girls were entertaining.

The film has less imagination than the music so it's best for lovers of the album to not even see it. It takes away more than adds to the music. Seeing a guy in the hot Spanish sun staring at the clouds with White as snow in the background shows how much Anton had to force changes on it.

The Linear thread definitely helped me make my decision. As nice as the boxset looks, the contents do not justify the pricetag for me. If I'm honest with myself, I know that after a few days of admiring it, it'll just go in the cabinet with my Bomb and JT sets. My JT boxset was worth it, but I just never bother with the physical copies once I rip to iTunes. SO, now I just have to decide between iTunes and the basic cd.

yeah... the standard is the way to go...

Amazon.co.uk send me an e-mail and it's already on it's way :hyper:

I will pick up the cd today.It has a special book about U2 in the netherlands (about 80 pages I believe with speial photo's and stories by the band) and the book U2 by U2 for free. all in all it costs 23 euro. not bad I think.:up:

Good deal.

I got the standard CD at 14 EUR.

Standard for me-recession and saving for a trip. Even if I had tons o'cash it would still be standard. I just want the songs, don't want or need anything else.

For weeks, I've been planning to buy the box set tomorrow at Best Buy. But after reading the horrible reviews of Linear, I think I might just go with the standard CD. Even if Linear was good, the box set is still overpriced. Actually, ALL of the formats, with the exception of the standard CD and LP, are overpriced. :(

They are... I'm just curious if the booklet has the lyrics in it. That's all I want.

I get worried that you need the Digipack to get the good booklet.

Makes me angry only because the joy I had looking at POP jacket has slowly faded as the CD jackets on all albums have gotten smaller or non existent. Some CD's you buy is only a thin piece of paper with the cover (nothing else).

I still remember the smell of the POP booklet.

I'm pretty sure the standard CD booklet (24 pages) has the lyrics in it... I read it somewhere on Interference, but who knows which thread it was at this point! The digipak booklet has an extra 8 pages, but it's probably just more photos. Not worth paying 12 extra dollars for. I don't get it, Paul McCartney's latest Firemen album came in a digipak with a huge, 40+ page photo book, and it's only 9 bucks at Walmart.

And I definitely agree that the Pop booklet is outstanding... easily the best booklet they've done without charging extra for it as some sort of "special edition."

I'm just buying the LP, which I purchased for $30 at a local record shop. It was $10 more than Best Buy, but buying vinyl at Best Buy is like sneaking Mcdonalds into a nice restaurant. Plus I can pick it up today :hyper:

If they'd done a box set like the new Depeche Mode one yes absolutely, but a film and more photos doesn't sway me quite the same. CD for moi.

The booklet from the boxset CD is so much more beautiful than the booklet from the regular CD. I'm happy I bought both versions.

Regular CD only - should be here in the next couple of hours :hyper:

Elevation playing on the radio as I type.
I never look thru the booklets and such except for the lyrics :shrug: :reject:

Cool. I'm in NYC, looked at a few places to see if it was out early, but didnt find them.

Yes, the regular CD booklet does have the lyrics in it - that was all I was going to buy, but the used copy I came across yesterday turned out to be scratched, giving me the rationalization to buy another (perhaps "upgraded") one?

I'm just buying the regular CD.

This thread reminds me I still need to look at the circulars from the Sunday paper to see which store has it for the cheapest price.

I was going for the box set, then decided against it. Going to pick up the Standard in the AM at Starbucks so I can listen between classes. I'll grab the vinyl and digipak at Best Buy.

I can't believe they charged $70 for the deluxe edition, but the sucker that I am, I bought it anyway.

Back
Top Bottom