Brian Eno's Moment of Surrender

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
yeah well as much as I love Boots I think it was the wrong choice for a first single. It's kinda like Vertigo but less accessible. It took me many listens to really appreciate the song.

I still say Magnificent would have been the best first single.

But Moment of Surrender would have certainly been an interesting choice. I suppose U2 probably isn't gonna get radio play on the pop stations anymore anyway, that's all terrible rap and pop. Like, bad pop. And they're not really heavy/shitty enough for the alternative/nü-metal stations. That leaves basically independent and adult contemporary stations. So, hey, maybe you all are right, it could have been a good single. They could still release it ... doubt they will though.

I agree on Boots, though I think that Magnificent will be a fantastic second single---and that it'll get them massive airplay on pop stations. It's a killer pop song, it grabs you, and it's addictive. They're basically following the Achtung method of single releases:

1st single: Boots -- Grabs your attention and creates a buzz, if only because people talk about how it's weird and they don't like it.

2nd single: Magnificent -- Grabs you and doesn't let go. Very accessible, and very good. A song that several generations can like, and most pop and rock radio stations would play. It's basically the Mysterious Ways or EBTTRT of NLOTH. Mysterious Ways created massive buzz and appeal for Achtung.

3rd single: MOS, UC, or whatever: The swelling, emotional song that cements the popularity of the album, much like One did.

Magnificent

MANY of us are agreed this is the killer track - so all yoiur questions to U2 this Friday on (UK) BBC radio 2 sbe around why they got the first release so wrong _ indeed ask why they haven't sacked the manager yet (LOl) Mike:wave:

Somebody tell me what Eno said in that video please??
It's not working on the site... logged in and all.:huh:

Eno wanted U2 to release MOS as a single because he feels like they're the only band in the world that could get airplay for a song like that. It's his favorite on the album, and he feels like it would have been a "here's where we are" statement from the band that would have indicated a new direction. He goes on about what a good single it would have been.

When he discusses the recording process, he sounds genuinely awed. He compares it to "channelling" (the "spiritual phenomenon"); he says he felt like he wasn't playing the keys, that it was just coming to him. He's self-deprecating, calling himself a "crap keyboard player" or something like that, and he seems to feel like MOS was a piece beyond his abilities that had to come from elsewhere.

The song itself was based on a "broken cartwheel" sound he came up with (he can't remember how he made it). He liked to prepare a loop for every day in Fez so the band would have somewhere to start, and that was featured in the loop that became MOS. Larry was the first to come in that day; Brian says Larry absolutely nailed it "like only Larry can" before Edge came in and did his thing. He says everyone just sort of naturally vibed to the loop, effortlessly adding their own instruments to the song.

In that respect he says MOS grew from a simple loop to an incredibly complex song in an unbelievably short period of time. It seemed like every band member naturally felt the song crescendo and reeled it back in automatically, without anyone "conducting." He sounds almost worshipful about Bono in the piece, talking about how his voice "as it so often does" made the song take off, elaborating on the "character"/voice styles thing we've heard so much about. He is obviously deeply touched by the character Bono created for MOS, which he seems to regard as filled with spiritual anguish/longing.

He talks about how a crowd was gathered; 7 musicians and "visitors," during the one take of MOS (they worked it out beforehand but never played it through beforehand and haven't played it through since). After the take he said everyone was completely hushed, that it was obvious that everyone felt like something magical had entered the room. And that's how he describes it, as his "most magical studio experience."

There's at least one and possibly two verses that didn't make the final cut, but Eno didn't seem regretful or anything. He seemed to feel like MOS is pretty much perfect.

And he loves NLOTH; says it's a clear step forward/evolution.:heart:

if only they'd cut that stupid section out when bono goes on about an atm machine it would be close to the perfect song.

I disagree. Part of what makes this song so pretty is that it is based in reality, and I must say as someone with a girlfriend who I adore, I often have my own "moments of surrender" at the most unexpected times. This part gives me a very vivid mental image of just catching a tiny reflection in an everyday object and being consumed in that second.

It's a magical song, wish it was 9 min and hopefully we'll get that someday, it's pure gospel, makes me realize how powerful the lord is and all I can do is give everything I have and are to him everyday bc without him nothing is possible

It's a magical song, wish it was 9 min and hopefully we'll get that someday, it's pure gospel, makes me realize how powerful the lord is and all I can do is give everything I have and are to him everyday bc without him nothing is possible

Ew, gross.

boots just turns people of...almost everybody I know who heard boots (and are no u2 fans) don't like it... I also thought jeezus how awful when I heard it.
It is nothing compared to the album, so it keeps non fans from buying their album..
that was a bad move

they should take a risk with MOS... why not, bohemian rhapsody was also a non single to a lot of people, even queens manager thought it was awful...

I am glad that they choose Magnificent to make up for the mistake called boots. fantastic songof a great record. I was thinking about this yesterday how it is beyond believe that a lot people compared boots to the fly quality-wise. the Fly is hovering somewhere in the milky way while boots lies in the gutter somewhere in kansas.

I guess all perspective is lost for some people when our boys release something new. :wink:

I am glad that they choose Magnificent to make up for the mistake called boots. fantastic songof a great record. I was thinking about this yesterday how it is beyond believe that a lot people compared boots to the fly quality-wise. the Fly is hovering somewhere in the milky way while boots lies in the gutter somewhere in kansas.

I guess all perspective is lost for some people when our boys release something new. :wink:

I like Boots - I think there's no need to compare with other releases.

It's going to be killer live and to be honest I'm glad it wasn't a "commercial" success - I hated it when a load of people became casual U2 fans during the last 2 albums - not having a go at you if you found U2 for the first time during the last 2 albums - welcome - just I prefer the ambiguous U2.

Looking back on Boots in a few years you're going to like it a lot better, I promise.

It's on the surface of it playful lyrics hide a dark undertone and I love it's feminist message and it's climax of "let me in the sound" - great U2 track.

I don't care if it's "forgettable" to the general, low attention-span public.

It moves me in my ipod and that's all that matters to me.

I like Boots - I think there's no need to compare with other releases.

It's going to be killer live and to be honest I'm glad it wasn't a "commercial" success - I hated it when a load of people became casual U2 fans during the last 2 albums - not having a go at you if you found U2 for the first time during the last 2 albums - welcome - just I prefer the ambiguous U2.

Looking back on Boots in a few years you're going to like it a lot better, I promise.

I didnt compare but a lot of other people did and wrote this song to the moon making it sound like it was the most adventurous song ever. the thing is: I prefer the ambiguous U2 too and that's why I love UF (first record I bought), AB and zooropa and POP to name a few and not so much the latte two(bomb and behind). Boots just doesnt have that kind of level of the truelly great leadsingles.. it is a nice little song but I promise you that in 5 years I will still think it is medicore at best. Not because I want to, but because I know it will be. Sometimes songs will sink in offcourse (I allready offered up my car if moment of surrender ever becommes an incredible classic like one or streets which of course wont happen. to stay on topic). I will eat up a pair of shoes if boots ever going to make me feel like"god this is truelly great".
will I dance to it live? off course, I will be far too enthousiastic to see the guys again and nothing matters then anymore but at home, different story:wink:

Eno wanted U2 to release MOS as a single because he feels like they're the only band in the world that could get airplay for a song like that. It's his favorite on the album, and he feels like it would have been a "here's where we are" statement from the band that would have indicated a new direction. He goes on about what a good single it would have been.

When he discusses the recording process, he sounds genuinely awed. He compares it to "channelling" (the "spiritual phenomenon"); he says he felt like he wasn't playing the keys, that it was just coming to him. He's self-deprecating, calling himself a "crap keyboard player" or something like that, and he seems to feel like MOS was a piece beyond his abilities that had to come from elsewhere.

The song itself was based on a "broken cartwheel" sound he came up with (he can't remember how he made it). He liked to prepare a loop for every day in Fez so the band would have somewhere to start, and that was featured in the loop that became MOS. Larry was the first to come in that day; Brian says Larry absolutely nailed it "like only Larry can" before Edge came in and did his thing. He says everyone just sort of naturally vibed to the loop, effortlessly adding their own instruments to the song.

In that respect he says MOS grew from a simple loop to an incredibly complex song in an unbelievably short period of time. It seemed like every band member naturally felt the song crescendo and reeled it back in automatically, without anyone "conducting." He sounds almost worshipful about Bono in the piece, talking about how his voice "as it so often does" made the song take off, elaborating on the "character"/voice styles thing we've heard so much about. He is obviously deeply touched by the character Bono created for MOS, which he seems to regard as filled with spiritual anguish/longing.

He talks about how a crowd was gathered; 7 musicians and "visitors," during the one take of MOS (they worked it out beforehand but never played it through beforehand and haven't played it through since). After the take he said everyone was completely hushed, that it was obvious that everyone felt like something magical had entered the room. And that's how he describes it, as his "most magical studio experience."

There's at least one and possibly two verses that didn't make the final cut, but Eno didn't seem regretful or anything. He seemed to feel like MOS is pretty much perfect.

And he loves NLOTH; says it's a clear step forward/evolution.:heart:

Bless you! Thank you so much for taking the time to fill me in! I appreciate that so much!
:hug:

Sorry for digging up old thread....I can't seem to find that link on U2.com anymore and that link is directing me to a different part of U2.com....anyone have that video link by any chance?

Back
Top Bottom