Brian Eno is involved too ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2girl

Blue Crack Addict
Says U2log.com :

caroline // News & Rumours
31-05-07 // 12:12 PM // full post // Comments
Bono applauds U.S. President Bush’s AIDS proposal says USA Today, which is all very nice, but what we really want to know is what the band is up to musically. Well fret no more, because the same interview reveals the boys are in the studio in Fez, Morocco, recording for their new album.

As atu2.com reported last week, Daniel Lanois was recently spotted hanging out with the band in a Dublin studio. We can confirm this and add the news that Lanois is not alone… his old friend ‘Ben O’Rian’ has come along for the ride. Allegedly.

:hmm: I thought "Ben O' Rian" is producing Coldplay and unavailable?

Why say that you can confirm he's there, and then at the very end put 'Allegedly'.

Either he's there or he's not. Or say that you saw a bald little head sipping coffee over a keyboard. At least then it's alleged.

I guess this can confirm U2 is in Morocco.

Lanois was spotted with the band in Dublin as mentioned but he was present at the festival in Cannes too.
As for Eno, I guess he's just popping in to see how things are going, I really think that Coldplay is his main band to produce at the moment.

I don't believe Eno spent much time during AB or ATYCLB, so this might be another example of Lanois really doing the production and Eno popping in and out with 'suggestions'.

Could be interesting...though, to be honest, I was hoping Rick Rubin would do this album...:shrug:

I wouldn't mind having just Daniel doing the production work, with Eno coming in to help a little. Kind of like AB and ATYCLB sessions.

Maybe Rubin is too busy.

I don't know about Eno time spent...we know he was on and off for AB, and possibly around a lot for UF, but JT and ATYCLB ? Any interviews or quotes on that ?

Does that mean Lanois will be coming in short breaks to co-produce Coldplay ? And where is Rick O Shea in all this ?

I think its all basic rumor at this point. Is all of it plausible? Sure, but alot of it could be false information based on partial truth or fact. :wink:

I can see U2 being in Morocco currently but it doesnt mean they will stay there and record most of the album there. Could be one of those working type vacation deals. :shrug:

I like the idea of Lanois producing most of it with Eno coming in here and there. I know alot of you want it to be Rubin (and who knows, it still may happen) but I would prefer Lanois produce over him.

Last edited:
I don't necessarily have anything against Rubin but from what I've read about him I don't see him being a creative fit for U2 the way they like to work. I just get the feeling that while they didn't have any problems with Rubin they also didn't necessarily get a creative spark off of him. U2 looks to their producers to provide creative atmosphere and inspiration, and Rubin seems to want the creating all done before he gets involved. By that point what would he really be doing except influencing the final mixes so what would be the need for him to be a producer? None of the things Rubin seems to be known for are things that U2 needs as far as I can see. Contrary to the opinions of some people on this board I don't think U2's career needs resurrecting, and they already know how to strip everything down, so what other wonderful things might he provide.

Dana

Aygo said:
What about U2 producing itself alone with Daniel Lanois? No Eno, no Rubin...

Maybe that is happening...I read above to read "they're definitely in Morocco and Lanois was definitely in Dublin", but Eno is "allegedly" there ( where ? Morocco? Dublin?). Certainly nothing to hear about Rubin since the Abbey Road sessions last September...he's very stealth if he's still producing this album.

Last edited:
But if they do all this shit where they go off somewhere, like Berlin or Miami or perhaps Morocco, or just spend forever on and off in Dublin - and it all always just leads to a really focused final couple of months back in Dublin to nail the thing down, perhaps that's where Rubin comes in. That would fit with his reputation, and comments about him only wanting to work with complete songs.

Don't know if I really like that as much. I'd prefer them working in tandem with someone who is in sync, to sound wanky, with the "journey" rather than someone who comes in at the end and just makes it sound crisp and loud or whatever. Or worse, him coming in and butchering a series of great songs and turning them into big singles. It wreaks of Vertigoing Native Son, if you know what I mean.

LemonMelon said:
Eno/Lanois, back again...what a freakin surprise. :rolleyes:

U2 should just add Eno and Lanois as official band members already. They might as well be. Especially Eno.

(I'm not sure I'm being sarcastic either.)

Regarding Rubin, was anyone blown away by his production of WITS? I know I wasn't. It didn't seem to be anything that one of their regular producers couldn't do.

Why do you think that, LemonMelon ? UF, JT, AB and ATYCLB all have their distinctive sound, and (at least the first three) are widely considered their best work.

Admittedly ATYCLB runs out of steam after song 6, and could be improved by replacing songs 8,9 and 11, but I think it still had the most potential out of all the post-AB albums for greatness.

That said...is this the unofficial confirmation Rubin is out of the picture ?

It's not really Eno that bothers me (solo, he's done some amazing work, with and without U2), it's Lanois. Nothing Lanois has ever had a large say in has ever been a shocking turnaround for the band. Some may use Achtung as an example, but, according to the band, he was resisting the change from the very beginning. UF was mostly an Eno project as well. Everything else has been U2-by-the-numbers, and I suppose this one will as well. That doesn't mean it'll suck, but it is a bit disappointing.

Sure, they argued, but if you look at the credits, he still produced 5 AB songs on his own. That's almost half of what gets praised here to eternity as their best work so... I wish Lanois would get, one day, a chance to produce U2 solo, as Eno had with Passengers, and (I assume he did the most work on) Zooropa.

Lanois spends more time "in the trenches" if you will with the band, working on the material. Eno just hops in now and then to provide opinions and insight. I think it's the mix of both of these two principles of work that seems to work for the band. However just having those two isn't enough, the band need to be inspired too. That would make all the difference between good/very good and great.

I agree Eno was probably a stronger influence on UF. But hey, the guy almost wiped Streets during JT sessions so he's not perfect either ;) .

Nice! Outside of War, the band's best work has been with Eno & Lanois. Let's hope, though, that this Rubin then Lanois then Eno & Lanois doesn't mean that we're producer-hopping like HTDAAB. :yikes:

Well, I still think this is better news than Rubin.

For all the worriers, do you really think we're going to get something as tepid as ATYCLB? Say what you want about Eno or U2, but they've never done the same thing twice. If it does turn out to be mellow, it will at least have some more flavor to it, hopefully the local Moroccan kind.

And Eno should be smart enough to leave Mercy as is.

Rick Rubin's schedule might have been too full to accomodate the project. IF having Lanois and Eno around gets them to work, I'm all for it. I just hope this doesn't end up like the first version of HTDAAB, with strings, which they essentially tossed in the wastebasket.

Quoting ntalwar:

Regarding Rubin, was anyone blown away by his production of WITS? I know I wasn't. It didn't seem to be anything that one of their regular producers couldn't do.

This is true. I think the thing is, that is the point. Rubin can do exactly what Eno or Lanois can do.. I think the reason the guys were so attracted to him, tho, is because he won't. Eno and Lanois take a song and add to it and build it with their different methods, like they did on JT, AB, UF. Adding echo is the stereotype here on interference. The thing with Rubin is, he seems to be about the stripping down and that's his attractiveness.

Look at the productivity of the 1999 sessions.

Forget the sound for now, think about the productivity.

The more songs they write, the easier it is to pick out an album's worth and hammer into shape, the faster the process goes, the earlier US FANS GET THE THE FUCKING ALBUM.

Back
Top Bottom