Breathe Verse reminds me of Sheryl Crow for some bizarre reason...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

erik_1099

The Fly
For some reason I can't fathom, the first verse of Breathe reminds me of "All I Wanna Do" by Sheryl Crow.

Something about how Bono is phrasing the lines... "I wasn't gonna buy just anyone's cockatoo, so why would I invite a complete stranger into my home?...would you?"

It could just be me. I'll just be moving along now.

Crow? Really now...:hmm:

Reminds me of an attempt of Bob Dylan...but it's not an Epic Fail

I really like the song

For some reason I can't fathom, the first verse of Breathe reminds me of "All I Wanna Do" by Sheryl Crow.

Something about how Bono is phrasing the lines... "I wasn't gonna buy just anyone's cockatoo, so why would I invite a complete stranger into my home?...would you?"

It could just be me. I'll just be moving along now.
Funny you posted this, my wife said the same thing when she heard it.

Well good to know there are few other folks out there that share my peculiar brand of crazy.

2861U2 - I don't know, because honestly, I only know a handful of her songs, somehow they fail to grab my interest. Probably why it took me so long to track down All I Wanna do. In fact, when I had finally homed in the song, I couldn't think of her name, but I knew she had dated Lance Armstrong, so I googled that...

I don't know about all this but Kelly Clarkson's new song (I heard her sing it on SNL) fucking flat stole the melody from Sarah McLachlan's Sweet Surrender.

I actually couldn't believe how similar it was.

/random.

if anything it reminds me of a Stipe vocal off Monster...

Wow, good call ... now that I think about it, it reminds me a LOT of the verses to "Departure," which is on New Adventures In Hi-Fi ... which they recorded while on tour for Monster, so there you go. ;)

the start of crazy makes me thinking of Abba's "The winner takes it all"
nobody else i've asked (bar my husband who spotted it first) picks it up though
are we mad?

if anything it reminds me of a Stipe vocal off Monster...

YES YES YES!

I've been saying this to people and they've been looking at me like I'm crazy.
First time I heard the song my initial reaction was 'Oh...they've written an R.E.M. song."

It's still my fav on the album.

are we mad?

Ha! Yeah, those opening notes do sound like the opening notes of that Abba song.

YES YES YES!

I've been saying this to people and they've been looking at me like I'm crazy.
First time I heard the song my initial reaction was 'Oh...they've written an R.E.M. song."

It's still my fav on the album.

Me too! Totally Monster or Hi-Fi era (or even Accelerate) Stipe. Some of the phrasing is dead on. Chorus could easily be a REM song as well - a lot of chord changes, 6/8 time.

And isn't there a song on UP where Stipe holds out "Breeeaathe"?

Excellent song.

Yeah, you are not way off. Personally, I think it is the way Bono is singing.

For me, it is totally Window in the Skies, music, lyrics, style of singing. It also has another striptease reference in it :hmm:

Just my thought :wink:

I don't know about all this but Kelly Clarkson's new song (I heard her sing it on SNL) fucking flat stole the melody from Sarah McLachlan's Sweet Surrender.

I actually couldn't believe how similar it was.

/random.

There's another Clarkson song that totally rips off that hook from Duran Duran's Come Undone.

Wow, good call ... now that I think about it, it reminds me a LOT of the verses to "Departure," which is on New Adventures In Hi-Fi ... which they recorded while on tour for Monster, so there you go. ;)

There you go! Good back up to the theory. Its such a great track though. Hopefully it is towards the end of the set.

are we mad?

I hear that, but an even closer resemblance is to Journey's God awful song "Faithfully." Check it: YouTube - Journey - Faithfully

With so many songs in the world's music catalog, it's not unusual to hear snippets of similar phrases and melodies in nearly everything.

I hear Bowie's Ashes to Ashes in the "out from under your beds" line in SUC. I even hear a tiny bit of the Supremes' "You Keep Me Hanging On" in Vertigo.

The claim that the melody to Kelly's new song is stolen from that Sarah Mclachlan song is weak. I just listened to it. There is one minuscule vocal passage in the verse of each song where the melodies are a bit similar but the rest of the songs sound NOTHING alike. Come on, let's give ourselves a little bit of a break.

As for the Journey/Crazy Tonight thing...I'd obviously heard that comparison since the song first leaked but had never checked it out until now. That shit is wild. Those intro notes are nearly identical. But I say who gives a shit? Let's all steal from each other. And let's all keep fuckin each other until we're all the same color. Life is short.

Back
Top Bottom