Brandon Flowers takes credit for U2 album delay

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
ya know...

U2 hold a dear place in my heart...so dear, it's an insult to call them my favourite band.

I also look upon The Killers in a hopeful light. I would very much like to see them grow into a successful band. I enjoy hearing different sounds on their albums. Creativity and willingness to take a risk on a sound...something that gets lost as time and success labour a musician.

Anyhow, I don't want to bitch about U2 or The Killers music. I want to be happy when they release albums because it adds to their repertoire. We should be celebrating bands that release their own music, written by them with blood and tears. There's enough sampling and bullshit out there to destroy popular music as we know it. Appreciate the ones that keep it going.

:up:

Do people honestly think bands like Coldplay and Killers sit around all day going
"Hey guys how can we sound more like U2?"
Or
"Hey guys I just wrote something that sounds like U2"

The bands are just influenced by U2, if half the people here made music they'd sound more like U2 than most bands we say are ripping them off. Every band is unique, they combine their influences and make something a little new. What's wrong with that?

The Killers are fun pop. Like Weezer. All the bashing of musicians on this forum is bullshit. Go fucking write and record a better, catchier song yourselves, sell a million copies of it, and get back to me with your fucking bashing.

This is without a doubt the worst argument in the thread.

None of us claim to be good musicians or song writers. When you're releasing music it's a given that it's supposed to be good.

This is without a doubt the worst argument in the thread.

None of us claim to be good musicians or song writers. When you're releasing music it's a given that it's supposed to be good.

So either it's good or it's shit? And if it's shit you must go on and on and on about it being shit? And by going on and on and on about it being shit, bashing it for having improper mixing? But then saying that the same improper mixing U2 uses works for U2 but not for the shit? So in other words, simply because musicians are musicians and claim to be good, they deserve to be torn down if they're not as good as the "greatest band in the world"?

I'm a musician. I'm good. Oh, I'd better watch out. I'm no U2. Maybe my band's album (which is in the final stages of mixing right now!) is the reason U2's album is delayed. I mean, an intro to one of our songs is somewhat similar to the intro to Vertigo. :rolleyes:

I find your return argument to be without a doubt the worst return argument in the thread.

I like Human. It's a catchy choon.

There is a good chance, however, that Brandon Flowers is a gigantic douche.

he's a dear sweet and kind man. he's very unassuming when you meet him, and he actually has a huge reverence for all things U2. without getting into it, i am close to the killers camp, and sometimes...he just says things that are taken out of context like any celeb. i know this is just a message board, and we all have opinions that are very valid, and but please give him a break. brandon and all the guys have a very tounge-in-cheek sense of humour, and if you read that article , it's clear that the writer was slanting it one way (as writers do) and that only certain quotes were taken out of context and used. i actually heard about this story from a crew member long before this article was printed, and that's not actually the way the convo between brandon and paul went down. of course i was not present myself so who's to say? but i trust my friend. anyway, i'm not saying human is the greatest song on earth, and to each his own with your feelings on the killers music. however, i am certain everyone on this board is smart enough to not make a judgment on a person/band or music based on what a writer (who seemingly doesn't like the band) put in print.

oh, and one more thing. we all know that U2 will release when they damn well feel like it. however, there are a lot of ins and outs in the music business. so don't hesitate to think that one of the million different reasons that U2 delayed their record might have something to do with another very big band on island/interscope/universal. it has indeed been spoken of my many industry folks besides the killers that one of the reasons it's good for u2 to release later is that then they don't have to go up against the killers sales-wise in this turbulent time for the record industry. i know that seems like a ridiculous statement to u2 fans on a u2 msg board, but it doesn't have to do with who's better or more beloved (brandon wouldn't argue that one) it has to do with $$ signs, numbers, sales, tours, etc.

for all the killers bashing going on in this thread: if you can't see why the killers are one the biggest bands in Europe right now, then you're hopeless. Hot Fuss is one of the top 5 albums of the past decade, and Day & Age kicks the shit out of everything else. but if you're going to leave posts like this, save it. it's a lost cause. you'll never hear what the rest of us do

p.s. if you're too busy writing up stupid blue crack posts to notice, the killers have the best drummer in the game nowadays

YouTube - The Killers "On Top" Eurockeennes Festival

YouTube - the killers jenny was a friend of mine live

couldn't be more true about the drummer ronnie! i don't know a musician in LA who wouldn't agree w/you on that!

Now you are probably a lot smarter then you are sounding right here, but this is such a stupid comment.

The Killers are a great band, and although many might argue about "how good" they really are...their music is in no way reminiscent of a "turd".

Everytime I hear the Killers I think of early U2. I don't know why, but it just seems like they are at a similar point in their career to early U2. They have that freshness and somewhat unique sound that can really break it to the next level...much more than Coldplay has for that matter. I feel that Coldplay has already kind of painted themselves into a musical corner whereas the Killers have so much potential.

There latest release might be a bit strange for some, but its still really good and needs a few listens before being written off. If you get turned off by the chorus: "Are we Human or are we dancer" the same way people were turned off by a Village People-esque Bono singing "oh no...let go...Discotheque" then go ahead and write off the rest of the music and the band. But in the same way that alot of people really missed out on POP because they wrote it off due to its first single, they will write off a Killers album that might really grow on them.

...but in the end thats your perogative, right?

yes..yes....YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i think i love you! do we know each other btw?

The problem with all the heirs of U2 is that they are trying to be heirs of U2. They should just focus on music and developing their own signature sound. U2 are filled with their past glories and the way they got out of that was by just focussing on making music and trying different things. When bands copy U2 they should not try and sound like Bono and Edge but they should copy the uniqueness of U2. By being unique in your own way you get much better notice from the public than just sounding like someone else.

It's like that scene in the movie Ray where Ray is just singing in the style of other singers and the producer guy says that if you don't have your own sound you've got nothing! Then they start the song Mess Around and you start to hear a signature sound. "Now we've got something" :D

YouTube - RAY CHARLES - MESS AROUND - Movie "RAY"

Listen up Coldplay!

the trouble with all the "heirs of u2" is that u2 fans believe them when they say they are an heir, and then fight about it. also for the bands that don't claim that title, fans and critics thrust it upon them anyway....and then, fight about it. ugh. this thread is making me sleepy...which is good since i'm reading it to put myself to sleep.

PS just one more time tho...the label does not and did not want to put two of it's biggest acts against each other. taking into account the effect the internet and piracy has had on the industry, it's wise for one band to release in the 4th quarter and another in the 1st. it used to be that all the industry would rush to have those 4th quarter sales, but the climate has changed and 1st quarter is equally important. and what better way to jump start it then with a U2 album? of course it helps that the killers got their album finished in time, and that U2 are always chronically late with each album.

I usually agree with about 99% of the stuff you say...but.....

....if you are going to throw the mixing of anything on HTDAAB out there as being anywhere near positive then I will have to jump onto that 1%. The mixing on HTDAAB is terrible all across the board.

Other than that we are pretty much in total agreement most of the time. :wink:

hey! i'll take 99%, haha! :)

I really dont like their music, there is something about it that resembles nails on a blackboard to my ears

this thread=ridiculous

IMO.. don't buy the theory that The Killers new release was one of the reasons for U2's delay in the new album. Until I hear it from 'the horse's mouth' aka U2 camp I ain't buying it.

Does anyone here REALLY believe that U2's album was delayed so it wouldn't be up against the Killers? Give me a break. Say what you want about the Killers, but the reason that U2's album is delayed is because U2's album isn't finished!

Does anyone here REALLY believe that U2's album was delayed so it wouldn't be up against the Killers? Give me a break. Say what you want about the Killers, but the reason that U2's album is delayed is because U2's album isn't finished!

apparently someone here has connections and says that it was one of the reasons.:huh:

apparently someone here has connections and says that it was one of the reasons.:huh:

So, what this person is implying is that U2 intentionally failed to have their album ready for a holiday release for fear that it could potentially coincide with a Killers' release? :doh: Why didn't I think of that?

Connections or no connections, IMO that theory sucks:down:

So, what this person is implying is that U2 intentionally failed to have their album ready for a holiday release for fear that it could potentially coincide with a Killers' release? :doh: Why didn't I think of that?

exactly. actually, since this thread was started, i've been going back and forth about which is worse, The Killers album or this horrible theory.

it's not the sole reason, I never said that. Just one of the reasons in this person's theory.

When the simple reason was that... wait for it.... they are not finished with the album. There I said it.. Such a crazy notion, thinking out of the box here and all but hey why not give it a shot. IMO.

i have no problem with people disagreeing about this subject, but at least read what i posted (and not what others post in response only) before you reply to it. that is not what i said, i was talking about the music business.:banghead:

no need to apologize. i just suggest listening to the album again before making such crazy statements.

I just listened to it again, it's their best album yet :wink:

Can we just close this thread; U2 did not delay their album because of The Killers

If U2 did delay the album on purpose it was due to a bazillion other bands releasing at this time of year and the market being saturated

Back
Top Bottom