Boots vs Vertigo

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Which song do you like better?

• Vertigo

Votes: 70 29.3%
  • Get On Your Boots

Votes: 169 70.7%

• Total voters
yeah and he seems to loath Bono. Unfortunately his website is one of the most frequented gossip sites of all time.

What does he say about him? "Oh, his sense of fashun is sooo disgusting, eww!, eyeliners looks soo wrong"

:wink:

Perez Hilton is an obnoxious gutter whore.

And I LIKE celebrity gossip. I just can't stand him or his site.

Boots is better, but for me, anything is better than Vertigo.

Shame that the better song borrows so much from the lamer one.

Exactly. That's what ruined it for me. 2/3 of the song feels to much like a rehash. If they'd never done Vertigo, maybe I'd think it was good. As it stands, I hate Vertigo (macho crap) and am simply okay with Boots.

The Fly is incredible however, and for this to be the best album ever, they're going to have to exceed every song on Achtung Baby; so far, Boots is easily worse than any song on Achtung Baby, so that's not a good start.

What did R&H rank? I sometimes feel I am one of the the only fans who completely loves that album.
When I take out the live takes and covers and that (to me) respectable try-but annoying failure "When Love Comes to Town", I get a pretty good album:

My tracklist was as follows:
1.Heartland
2.Silver and Gold
3.Van Dieman's Land (this succession was to minimize the shock of the crowd noise transition)
4.Desire
5.Hawkmoon 269
6.Angel of Harlem
7.God Part II
8.All I Want Is You (I'd want a fade out after the Edge's final guitar solo and before the pretentious strings kick in).

When I take out the live takes and covers and that (to me) respectable try-but annoying failure "When Love Comes to Town", I get a pretty good album:

My tracklist was as follows:
1.Heartland
2.Silver and Gold
3.Van Dieman's Land (this succession was to minimize the shock of the crowd noise transition)
4.Desire
5.Hawkmoon 269
6.Angel of Harlem
7.God Part II
8.All I Want Is You (I'd want a fade out after the Edge's final guitar solo and before the pretentious strings kick in).

sounds like a great list to me.

I stopped taking your post seriously here. Fortunately, it was also the last sentence.
Why are you such a dick? Seriously, there's a massive contingent here that thinks it's cool to berate others. U2 isn't going to get hurt if I criticize the art, but posters get hurt if personal attacks are waged.

You could have said, "What? You don't like that? I LOVE the ending!" or something. I react like that when people consider "Trying to Throw Your Arms Around the World" a lesser song, when I think it's brilliant, but I'm not going to attack them.
sounds like a great list to me.

Thanks. I must have spent at least an hour tweaking things, trying to figure out which goes where.

That said, it's a pretty great version of "Bullet the Blue Sky" on there, too.

All the perez hilton song says is that the song blows and that it sounds like a bside from the 60's.

Something like that.

Get On Your Boots is 100 X better simply because it does not have the mathematically challenged/lousy spanish countdown that Vertigo has. Vertigo was a great guitar fest that was ruined by Bono's intro. It became too much fodder for comedians, hence less respected and taken seriously.

ok.. I have listened to this single almost non stop since last night, and after being a U2 fan for 25 years I had never been disappointed until I heard Get Your Boots On. If you want to compare Vertigo to Boots, in my humble opinion Vertigo is better. People keep talking about how much more layering there is in Boots, and they are right.. there is more layering... but layering does not make it a better song. True there are some interesting sounds in there, and Edge as always is spot on... I love his riff... but the song just is weak. Perhaps I feel this way because all the hype was that U2 was going in a new direction, and one of their best efforts, even one of their best records. Now I remember first hearing WOWY, and thought I didnt quite get it, I liked it... I just didn't know what I liked about it, in time I figured it out. The same thing happened with The Fly, which was another new direction, that I loved. Pop was the end point of what was started on Auchtung Baby, but even Discoteque I liked when I first heard it. I got what they were trying to do. Beautiful Day and Vertigo I got and loved instantly.

For me, Get Your Boots On is the worst single they have released, ever. It feels contrived, the production is over layered and yet sonically inferior, it just is really disappointing to me... and if its a clue to what the new record is going to be like, then I am deeply worried because I have never disliked a U2 record.

Hopefully I am wrong, and Boots is in fact the weakest song on the album... I guess we will all find out in March. Hopefully I will like Boots when I hear it live, as often U2 songs take on an entire different life once we hear them live. I can certainly see some things in Boots that will work very well live, I guess I will have to wait and see.

Glad to see so many of you do like it though, its always good to see U2 fans get psyched about what the band is doing.

^Yeah, Get Your Boots On sucks big time.... but Get On Your Boots is their best lead single yet. :heart::wink:

Btw, you don't like it, but it's a nice post no matter what. Like corianderstem said you did it very well.

Can we use your post as an example of how to express one's disappointment in the song without coming across like a jerk?

It can be done, people!

:)

^db, not to nitpick a pretty thoughtful criticism but all songs that are written, are contrived.

Anyways, I think Boots has got 'it' on Vertigo.
Not much of a comparison between the two studio cuts, IMO.
Both lack dynamics (as was expected) inthe actual 'sound'.
'Dynamics' pertaning to what was thrown in the mix, Boots wins, not even fucking close, ever, ever ever.

Vertigo, as it sits on the HTDAAB disc, is a pretty bland take.
And even saying that, I think it might be the best song on Bomb.

Boots is not going to change anything, it just rocks with a little bit of nuance.
Less 'in your face' but rocking just as much.

Plus the chorus of Boots owns the soul of the Vertigo 'Supremes' chorus.

Set me free, why don't you babe?

Exactly. That's what ruined it for me. 2/3 of the song feels to much like a rehash. If they'd never done Vertigo, maybe I'd think it was good. As it stands, I hate Vertigo (macho crap) and am simply okay with Boots.

The Fly is incredible however, and for this to be the best album ever, they're going to have to exceed every song on Achtung Baby; so far, Boots is easily worse than any song on Achtung Baby, so that's not a good start.

OH!!! come on!!!!!:doh:
I mean, achtung rules, but im not interested in comparing everything to it
GET ON YOUR BOOTS, its a very cool song, NO its not the fly, and no its not vertigo, but lets face it vertigo was an instant Hit, and we all prety much loved it, inmediatly, couse the guitar riff, and the chorus, yes they were ok, cool and everything

but GOYB, its some other shit, different its better this time, great riff, better lyrics, amazing chorus, and I find really hard to believe people saying U2 is dead, I dont care if it doesn't get to number one on POPulary chats, so what!!!!, people listen to any crap , thing this days and if other people dont like it , WHO CARES!!

GOYB its not what i expected, but its a nice surprise, a big one, Im not dissaponited,
i dont know what everyone else was been expected ¿¿AB2?? imposible,
I want NLOTH, a great album with great different songs, interesting writting, and mods, and ideas,:up:

lets enjoy people!! It was a shitty day in collage and I get here to read all negative coments:sad: that it makes wanna turn on the volume to absolute (i will never hear again in the frecuncy) levels when hearing GOYB
Peace!! brothers & sisters

For Boots, I'm having a similar reaction as I had to Vertigo initially in that it took me awhile to fully appreciate Vertigo.

Everyone's talking about the production value of Boots and all the layers, etc. BS, all of that is nice but let's compare the meat and potato's of the song. Please keep in mind that this side by side comparison is subjective to change in the future.

Now for the comparisons between the two:
Intro: The intro for Vertigo is embarrassing. Uno, dos, tres,14??? Sing in english. Boot's intro is awesome. I love the drums.
Boots Wins the Intro.

Verse: I dislike the verses of both songs. Ever since Elevation, I've detested hearing Bono rap (even though it's not true rap).

Pre-Chorus: Boots has a pre-chorus. I love songs that have a pre-chorus. This is a huge plus for Boots over Vertigo, although I find the lyrics cheesy.
Boots wins the Pre-Chorus

Chorus:
I love the chord progression of Vertigo's chorus. Love it! It's simple, yet innovative at the time. This is the first area of the song Boots lets me down slightly. The boots chorus chord progression is the same as that surfer song from the 50s (Wipe Out, I believe it's called). I'm not a huge fan of these chords. It makes for an interesting song, but for me, it doesn't match the Vertigo chorus.
Vertigo wins the Chorus

Solo/Outro:
Boots, although having a strong main riff, lacks a memorable guitar solo or outro. Vertigo excels in this department. The guitar outro of Vertigo will be forever ingrained in my mind. I was really hoping for some of Edge's handy work with Boots. Instead, I'm given something that I'm not quite sure of.

Bridge: Ahhhhh, u2 does wonderfully on both bridges. I love how Vertigo softens up with "all of this can be yours". Boots has an equally impressively bridge. For me, a point of the song is the bridge of Boots (let me in the sound). This part of the song excels lyrically and is really innovative. The only problem I have is that there is only 1 chord main chord.

Ending: Both songs have good endings.

Lyrics: I like the lyrics of Vertigo better. Boots has some great lyrics and I hope to find out what they mean. Until then, the nod in the lyric dept. goes to Vertigo. As is the case with a lot of classic u2 songs, there is a wonderful theme to Vertigo's lyrics. Upon first listen, Boots is all over the friggin map. I don't understand it yet. It's like a puzzle that is missing a few pieces. Hopefully Bono can enlighten us soon.

Overall;
I'm happy with Boots, don't get me wrong. I love the innovation, different direction, etc. But, it just doesn't compare to Vertigo. The chord structure of Vertigo is much more appealing to me.

Well, I haven't had the song on constant repeat since yesterday like many of you have. (Not for lack of desire, but I haven't bought it yet and only listened to it on u2.com, so I haven't heard the song since last night).

Here's what I know for sure:

A. Whenever, I think of the song, I involuntarily hear Vertigo in my head--I don't have the melody memorized yet. That and Fast Cars. Don't know what that means, but it must mean something.

B. For me the best way for me to appraise U2's discography is to look what I've kept on my ridiculously small 2 gig nano. There are three albums that I do not have in their entirety on my nano, not by conscious choice but just by elimination to make room for other music (my ipod is always full). Those three albums are Rattle and Hum, War, and HTDAAB. I have songs from all three but only a few from each. Of the three, I think Bomb was the one I like least--and again, this is not conscious--I just realize that I can't actually remember all the songs on the album. They all kind of blend together--they are, dare I say it bland. Boots may be a lot of things but it's not bland.

C. Vertigo, I instantly liked, but like a lot of songs I instantly liked--especially pop songs--I grew tired of it after awhile. Even though I still like it, it's not one of my favorite U2 songs ever. Boots, I'm not sure how much I really like and it's clear that a lot of people are really pissed off about it. As I've said before, I think that my personal reaction and the general reaction are good signs.

All my friends who heard Boots today said that Vertigo is much better but [...]
C'mon people let's have a healthy discussion here, as i said before, we are all fans and we are all entitle to deslike their new song too.
The problem with the whole comparison is that Vertigo has been in your head for some 5 years now. It has settled, it has its own place in your subconsious song ranking system, it has been analysed over and over and you can dream the whole song, begin to end.

Boots is a different story. 24 hours is not really enough for settling, for having a clue where it will end up. It is clear that Boots has a lot more going on than vertigo. But it is very hard to tell whether the "common taste" will like or dislike that.

The song does what it is supposed to do: stirr things up a little, maybe it's also supposed to make us start endless discussions on "Boots vs. [enter any song here]".

At the end of the day, it all comes down to taste and only time will tell where Boots stands between the other "stirr things up" singles that U2 released.

There is no comparison. Boots is the sound of a band (of a collective of artists) that has regained its mojo and its ambition - that is to say its true voice. Vertigo was catchy, sure ... but also very much a rehash of things they'd done before, better. The perceived similarities between Boots and Vertigo are only of the most superficial kind - the heavy riff, the speak-sing verses ... I beg all ye naysayers to try and see beyond that.

Anyway ... I'm just glad one of my all time favorite bands still has the balls to risk pissing off a significant part of its fanbase.

Why are you such a dick? Seriously, there's a massive contingent here that thinks it's cool to berate others. U2 isn't going to get hurt if I criticize the art, but posters get hurt if personal attacks are waged.

You could have said, "What? You don't like that? I LOVE the ending!" or something. I react like that when people consider "Trying to Throw Your Arms Around the World" a lesser song, when I think it's brilliant, but I'm not going to attack them.

Good Lord, man. It was a joke. Sometimes you have to get on your boots to wade through my BS, but I mean well.

Back
Top Bottom