Boots vs Vertigo

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Which song do you like better?

• Vertigo

Votes: 70 29.3%
  • Get On Your Boots

Votes: 169 70.7%

• Total voters
i really thought i did. such a confusing day...

You've got another month and a half to change your mind about 50 times. I already have and its been ONE day.

All the comparisons to Vertigo are lazy. GOYB is its own song. Now if we are talking about one versus the other then I can see that. But even then it would be tough. Vertigo is probably a better single because it is much catchier and easily accessible to the casual listener. That being said, GOYB is probably the better song due to the much better lyrics and deeper darker sonic layering. It grows on you, but I doubt it'll grow on everyone like Vertigo did....but thats okay for me because I don't care about the popular opinion. GOYB won't top the charts IMO but it will prepare people for whats next....honestly thats probably all the band wanted to do with this single. Its not like they're out to prove anything like the last two first album singles.

You've got another month and a half to change your mind about 50 times. I already have and its been ONE day.

All the comparisons to Vertigo are lazy. GOYB is its own song. Now if we are talking about one versus the other then I can see that. But even then it would be tough. Vertigo is probably a better single because it is much catchier and easily accessible to the casual listener. That being said, GOYB is probably the better song due to the much better lyrics and deeper darker sonic layering. It grows on you, but I doubt it'll grow on everyone like Vertigo did....but thats okay for me because I don't care about the popular opinion. GOYB won't top the charts IMO but it will prepare people for whats next....honestly thats probably all the band wanted to do with this single. Its not like they're out to prove anything like the last two first album singles.

great points. btw, i'm messing around. i like the song a lot. will it ever be in my Top 10 U2 songs list? probably not. but i really dig the song. and mostly, it gets me very excited for the album. :)

About the single... I've always felt that Viva La Vida was a poor choice as single, even though it's a great song. But it ended up topping charts on both sides of the Atlantic. You never know when something might become a hit. But if you ask me, I guess that U2 is using the same tactics Coldplay used.

IMO GOYB is just a warning sign of things to come, I wonder if we'll get the next single in March.

About the single... I've always felt that Viva La Vida was a poor choice as single, even though it's a great song. But it ended up topping charts on both sides of the Atlantic. You never know when something might become a hit. But if you ask me, I guess that U2 is using the same tactics Coldplay used.

not sure if I understand the example you used there MrMac....because I heard Viva the first time and knew it was a hit. Totally different situation with GOYB. Its not a "hit" and never will be. Its a song that grows on you and will be a great 5th or 6th song on a great album, but not a memorable single. Like I said before...its just a single that will prepare us for the album; an appetizer if you will. No one goes to a steakhouse for the appetizers, but people order them when they're there. At least I do :wink:

not sure if I understand the example you used there MrMac....because I heard Viva the first time and knew it was a hit. Totally different situation with GOYB. Its not a "hit" and never will be. Its a song that grows on you and will be a great 5th or 6th song on a great album, but not a memorable single. Like I said before...its just a single that will prepare us for the album; an appetizer if you will. No one goes to a steakhouse for the appetizers. At least not me :wink:

Sorry, I talked about Viva La Vida cause I think that some things that doesn't look at all like a hit (at least, that's what I thought about VLV) might become a huge one.
I agree completely with you... like I said I guess U2 is doing the same thing Coldplay did... releasing a song to create hype (Violet Hill) and then releasing what they think will be an actual hit. I'm torn between Magnificent and Stand Up Comedy as the next single.

And btw, GOYB is the best appetizer ever if that's the case.

not sure if I understand the example you used there MrMac....because I heard Viva the first time and knew it was a hit. Totally different situation with GOYB. Its not a "hit" and never will be. Its a song that grows on you and will be a great 5th or 6th song on a great album, but not a memorable single. Like I said before...its just a single that will prepare us for the album; an appetizer if you will. No one goes to a steakhouse for the appetizers, but people order them when they're there. At least I do :wink:

Agree I knew Viva was a hit the day i heard it. Boots - hey it's not my fave U2 single, but others may like it. I dont like Streets and it was huge, so ... ya never know.

How do you know which one is safe?

Oh, it's because I think the songs haven't changed that much from the beach clips and Magnificent sounds like the epic U2 anthem that they are used to release as singles.
On the other hand, people are saying that STC is Led Zeppelin-esque, something that I think would not be safe to release as a single in these days. Which would be awesome if they released as a single

I rank Vertigo 10x better. First time I heard Vertigo I thought they really rocked it. It's a tune you can get up and dance to.

let me hear the sound let me hear the sound sound is alot better then say umm all of it can be yours all of it can be yours just give me what I want and noone gets hurt. But yes I still like Vertigo don't get me wrong but this is different then vertigo and I don't think i will get tired of it as fast as I did with vertigo :)

Vertigo is obviously more instantly catchy. It's got the big sing along chorus which Boots doesn't have. I think Vertigo was pretty much the ultimate radio single. Does that make it better? Not necesarily. I do think Boots is much more interesting though. Whether people like it or hate it they are talking about it. It's so different from what everyone expects from U2. Pretty much everyone I know who has said they don't like it follows that up with "I'm retty interested in hearing the rest of the album though" Vertigo was a smash hit but I don't think it really peaked people's interest. Boots has created this whole new curiosity within people. People wanna hear what this album sounds like now. Vertigo was a nice safe choice. Boots is anything but safe. At the very least nobody can say U2 is going through the motions here.

For the record the reactions I'm getting for people are pretty much split. Half seem to hate it the other half seem to love it. It won't be the smash hit Vertigo or Beautiful Day were but it's doing it's job in spades right now.

Boots IS JUNK!! U2 is officially DEAD! I mean holy cow! How they can release this garbage? What a piece of garbage this song is. It won;t even make it to the top 10
list. It will get 2 weeks air play and then disappear. I'm sad to see U2 have officially
become a crap band. Progressively the music has declined since Achtung baby and this single is probably the worst of their whole career.

I like Boots, it has more going on musically than Vertigo, I think Bono sings too soft on this cut though and will probably push it harder live. However, Vertigo just rocks on cd and further live and has a killer chrorus. I hope Boots can do as well as Vertigo, I still think there will be better songs on the album than Boots. Vertigo for me at this stage.

Boots IS JUNK!! U2 is officially DEAD! I mean holy cow! How they can release this garbage? What a piece of garbage this song is. It won;t even make it to the top 10
list. It will get 2 weeks air play and then disappear. I'm sad to see U2 have officially
become a crap band. Progressively the music has declined since Achtung baby and this single is probably the worst of their whole career.

Please didn't make the top ten in any country.

Vertigo is obviously more instantly catchy. It's got the big sing along chorus which Boots doesn't have. I think Vertigo was pretty much the ultimate radio single. Does that make it better? Not necesarily. I do think Boots is much more interesting though. Whether people like it or hate it they are talking about it. It's so different from what everyone expects from U2. Pretty much everyone I know who has said they don't like it follows that up with "I'm retty interested in hearing the rest of the album though" Vertigo was a smash hit but I don't think it really peaked people's interest. Boots has created this whole new curiosity within people. People wanna hear what this album sounds like now. Vertigo was a nice safe choice. Boots is anything but safe. At the very least nobody can say U2 is going through the motions here.

For the record the reactions I'm getting for people are pretty much split. Half seem to hate it the other half seem to love it. It won't be the smash hit Vertigo or Beautiful Day were but it's doing it's job in spades right now.

I agree, so far thought from what I heard on the radio is that more people hate it around my area then love it. infact one person acused U2 of stealing Britney spears beats (which i think is BS umm pun intended LOL). I thought that was quite funny but its a reaction (the people hatingg it) I would expect from a more experimental and unsafe song. In other words this is good indeed!

Are they dead? really??? Then they must have some pretty same looking body doubles since they performed last night and look really alike LOL> And if they are so dead to you why are you on a U2 forum? Achtung baby was a long time ago according to you U2 has been crap since then and yet your a fan hmmm..

:sad:

how did they die? i didn't see it on CNN. source?

Back
Top Bottom