Boots -- Feels separate from album

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

clerks

Rock n' Roll Doggie
This happens to me many times with new albums after listening to single for so long... that song doesn't feel like it belongs on the album because I heard it alone and not all together.

So right now GET ON YOUR BOOTS doesn't feel like track 6, it feels like a single in the middle of my new U2 album that I'm loving.

Its just a weird feeling. I think same thing happened to Vertigo with me.

Eventually I assume it will come together in my mind.

No.

I haven't listened to GOYB much. I was actually surprised how well it fits on the album. The song has grown on me just because it's on the album. I don't feel it's out of place.

First I liked Boots

Then I heard it on the album and I thought it was SOOO out of place.

Now It's growing on me again. So, yeah, I kinda feel like it's out of place, but, I might not think that forever.

I think GOYB belongs there just fine. I think CT, SUC and the way Breathe is presented feels out of place. Breathe, with more work, could fit somewhere on the album, whereas CT could've been a hit song off BOMB and SUC should've been a b-side, like Big Girls Are Best. I wonder if Every Breaking Wave would've fit on here. The title suggests it should've, considering the cover art and album title, appears relevant.

No.

I haven't listened to GOYB much. I was actually surprised how well it fits on the album. The song has grown on me just because it's on the album. I don't feel it's out of place.

I'd go along with this, I think it actually makes a lot more sense after listening to the album as a whole, I didn't expect to feel like that.

The placement Boots is perfect. I reckon U2 still consider side a vs. side b (a vinyl relic from the past) when deciding on the song order. So with that in mind Boots is the opening to side b. A perfect opener.

Boots is in the perfect spot - I agree with the old school point made in the last post - the band love the old 2 sided vinyl format, what days.... bit before my time but I remember listening to my Dad's records when I was a kid...it gave albums a different meaning.

Anyway, hearing that Sexy Boots refers to slang for putting on a condom has put the song in a new light too! Excellent, very clever. Get Your Boots On!!!!!

No.

:up:

i also made a decision about 2 weeks before the album leaked to not listen to GOYB at all, with the exception of the Grammy's performance. i think that helped a lot.

and now that the album has settled in, i like GOYB more and more, especially now that the mp3 with the studio version of the live intro has come out. :drool:

Boots is fine where it is. If it wasn't released first, we all would have been saying its our favourite song...

Boots has grown on me so much. It gives something that this album doesn't have that much: ENERGY

However, I still think it's my 6 or 7th favourite song of the album, not higher.

I love Boots - always have. I can't understand the lack of love going on around here for that tune.
It's got a great message too.

I think Boots sounds out of place mainly because it's just a bit ridiculous following Crazy Tonight. The band may still be thinking in terms of vinyl, but only a tiny percentage of their listeners will hear it that way, so I think that's an equally ridiculous justification.

In any case, if you just move Breathe to sit between Crazy Tonight and Boots, the album flows ideally. There's no jarring transition leading into Boots, and the fantastic atmosphere of Fez --> WAS --> Cedars is unbroken.

I think Boots sounds out of place mainly because it's just a bit ridiculous following Crazy Tonight. The band may still be thinking in terms of vinyl, but only a tiny percentage of their listeners will hear it that way, so I think that's an equally ridiculous justification.

In any case, if you just move Breathe to sit between Crazy Tonight and Boots, the album flows ideally. There's no jarring transition leading into Boots, and the fantastic atmosphere of Fez --> WAS --> Cedars is unbroken.

hmm....that's a good idea. i'm gonna try that today. another thing you could try is putting Winter before Fez also.

Boots feels separate to me also. Listening to the single so much leads me to skip it on the album.

I actually think neither Boots nor SUC belong on this album. It's quite telling that they are placed together.

Boots is so much better once you see the video. That's when you realize the type of sound the band is really going for.

Back
Top Bottom