Bonus track for Australian NLOTH CD: alternate version of NLOTH

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Then you could also add it in the middle and use the 'skip-button' ....

True, but a track that's placed in between two others is more damaging to the flow of the album, as it involves two transitions instead of one.

Either way, it's pointless to complain about. I'd just prefer it be tacked on at the end.

Well, if I buy a version of NLOTH here in Canada it may not have the bonus tracks that a UK version would have... but it's all going onto my Ipod anyway... so I add the original album, and purchase the bonus tracks off iTunes. If I can't do that, I illegally download them. Why should I have to import a CD for one or two songs? I spend big money on U2 albums, singles, tickets, and merch as it is. The audio quality might not be good but if it comes to that I'll do it.

I think there are so many ways to get around different release formats that it's really a tired subject...

Bonus tracks are not really part of the actual album. Are you under the impression that they are?

For example, Summer Rain was a bonus track to ATYCLB, but it was put on a seperate CD. It's not like they make different albums for different countries.

In the UK the bonus track was The Ground Beneath Her Feet. Where are you talking about when you say its Summer Rain?

True, but a track that's placed in between two others is more damaging to the flow of the album, as it involves two transitions instead of one.

Either way, it's pointless to complain about. I'd just prefer it be tacked on at the end.

Has U2 ever altered tracklisting in different countries? I mean, have they ever added a song smack into the middle of a tracklist, or altered running order? Just curious...

In the end, a bonus track can mess up the flow, but fuck, we get more music! They know everyone will download it anyway

Has U2 ever altered tracklisting in different countries? I mean, have they ever added a song smack into the middle of a tracklist, or altered running order? Just curious...

Nope. This is a purely hypothetical situation here.

However, it still does happen on occasion, and it was a common practice during the '60s, before artists starting becoming aware of what could be done to make an album cohere properly.

Bonus tracks are not really part of the actual album. Are you under the impression that they are?

For example, Summer Rain was a bonus track to ATYCLB, but it was put on a seperate CD. It's not like they make different albums for different countries.

Although, wasn't Ground Beneath Her Feet a bonus track for ATYCLB in some regions, and included on some countries' CDs?

Looking deeper, the bonus track situation is everything that is wrong with record companies. They look to provide the absolute minimum. In some countries their guilt is so great that even they feel the need to add in an extra song. It is indicative of them knowing that their business model is a con.

Bands themselves, including U2, are to blame as well. 11 songs, 50 odd minutes at the most. Even this harks back to the limitations of vinyl.

That said, I still purchase CD's but to a large extent the world has moved on. Bonus tracks; seems very old fashioned to me.

Hidden tracks, as opposed to Bonus tracks can often compliment an album's flow quite acceptably, as Travis have done several times.

Maybe the fact that Europe and Oz and Jap get bonus tracks is to compensate for the ridiculous amount of intimate gigs played throughout North America. Didn't Boston have about 6 shows for the Vertigo tour, while we in Melbourne only had 2 stadium gigs, when 6 or 7 Rod Laver gigs would've been rather nice for us, if we were treated the same way as North American fans, and treated as fans of the band, as opposed to just masses of people who like a big-time event.

Actually, I know this compensatory theory isn't real, I just feel like having a whinge.

you can pretty much bet that there will be additional tracks on itunes. most bands do this with their new releases. perhaps it will just be one track. going back to the tacked on songs at the end...i cant imagine anything coming after love is blindness. wait......was there something after it?:ohmy:

Hahahahha, no. But I really would like Lady showing up somewhere in AB. It's a shame they wasted it as a b-side

Hidden tracks, as opposed to Bonus tracks can often compliment an album's flow quite acceptably, as Travis have done several times.

Maybe the fact that Europe and Oz and Jap get bonus tracks is to compensate for the ridiculous amount of intimate gigs played throughout North America. Didn't Boston have about 6 shows for the Vertigo tour, while we in Melbourne only had 2 stadium gigs, when 6 or 7 Rod Laver gigs would've been rather nice for us, if we were treated the same way as North American fans, and treated as fans of the band, as opposed to just masses of people who like a big-time event.

Actually, I know this compensatory theory isn't real, I just feel like having a whinge.

RLA would be a great music venue :up: wish id seen Lovetown there

i know im a big u2 fan.............but love is blindness is one of the best closing songs on any album.....period. then again im stating the obvious on a u2 fan site.:D

i know im a big u2 fan.............but love is blindness is one of the best closing songs on any album.....period. then again im stating the obvious on a u2 fan site.:D

agreed.

It totally fits in with the subtle theme of the album: birth to death. I think although Joshua Tree might have songs that are better, Achtung Baby is a bit more of a cohesive album as a whole.

agreed.

It totally fits in with the subtle theme of the album: birth to death. I think although Joshua Tree might have songs that are better, Achtung Baby is a bit more of a cohesive album as a whole.

totally agree..........its the reason that i can still put the album on today and just enjoy it beginning to end. no skips..........hope the new album ends up being the same way.

desert island disk for sure......getting a little off topic i know

Agree, the only U2 album where the bonus track helps is HTDAAB. But even in this case Fast Cars doesn't feel like a "closer".

Back
Top Bottom