Bono's piano lessons on NLOTH? - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Where The Album Has A Name - Songs of Experience
Click Here to Login

Old 03-23-2009, 02:49 PM   #21
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:31 PM
i am ABSOLUTELY REPULSED by Bono's piano playing.

mikal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 02:51 PM   #22
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 07:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marien View Post
Edge composed One??????
I phrased it as a question because I can't recall exact details...I just remember reading an article or book, many years ago now, recounting how one of the songs off AB originally took the form of two separate piano parts Edge had come up with, and at some point someone else suggested, why not combine those parts into one song? And I had it in my head that the song under discussion was One; I could be wrong. Anyhow, I was just citing it as an illustration of the more general point that musicians often work out the basic structure of a song on the piano first, regardless of whether they ever intended the song to feature a piano part in its final version.

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
yolland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 03:14 PM   #23
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by yolland View Post
I phrased it as a question because I can't recall exact details...I just remember reading an article or book, many years ago now, recounting how one of the songs off AB originally took the form of two separate piano parts Edge had come up with, and at some point someone else suggested, why not combine those parts into one song? And I had it in my head that the song under discussion was One; I could be wrong. Anyhow, I was just citing it as an illustration of the more general point that musicians often work out the basic structure of a song on the piano first, regardless of whether they ever intended the song to feature a piano part in its final version.
Oh, I know it isn't important for the discussion here, I was just shocked because Edge composing One and on piano was very different from what I remembered, but as you say it was just an example to your point. I've had a look into U2 by U2 and what they tell is that Egde took two incomplete ideas they had and tried them together, but it didn't work, Daniel Lanois suggested him playing one into the other, so Edge took the acoustic guitar and Bono the microphone and within an hour they had the first version of the song, lyrics included.

May I mention I love your avatar? I have a magnet with a similar design, with the word Peace both in Hebrew and Arabic, I bought it in Jerusalem.
Marien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 03:52 PM   #24
Forum Moderator

Thanks! It was the homepage decoration for awhile of a rabbi whose social commentary I admire, and I was on the lookout for an avatar at the time so I thought, Why not.

On a hunch I just checked out U2 at the End of the World online and I *think* this is the passage I was remembering:
Quote:
[p. 11]

One night they are struggling with a track called "Ultra Violet" and it's going nowhere. Edge figures the song needs another section and goes to the piano in the big room to come up with a middle eight. After playing for a while he has two possible parts and isn't sure which one would be better for the song. He comes back into the control booth, picks up an acoustic guitar, and plays both of them for Lanois and Bono to see which they prefer. They say that those both sound pretty good—what would it be like if you put them together?

Edge goes back out into the studio and starts playing the two sections together, one into the other. Larry and Adam fall in behind him on the drums and bass. Bono feels the muse knocking on his head as surely as in one of those old Elvis movies where the king jumps up in the middle of a clambake and starts rocking. Bono goes out to the microphone and begins improvising words and a melody: "We're one, but we're not the same—we get to carry each other, carry each other."

U2 plays the new song for about ten minutes. "Is it getting better," Bono sings, "or do you feel the same? Is it any easier on you now that you've got someone to blame?" Edge feels that it's suddenly all jelling—the band is clicking and all four of them know. They come into the booth and listen to a playback with a relief close to joy. By the next morning they have recorded "One," as strong a song as U2 has ever written. It came to them all together and it came easily, as a gift.
So, not exactly how I recalled it and apparently not quite what U2 by U2 suggests either, but it still illustrates how a piano is often used to work out part or all of what's ultimately destined to be a guitar-based piece. I play a few instruments including piano, and there's just something about the piano's design, the intuitive ease of visualizing musical structure it offers, that tends to make it my preferred instrument for figuring out a part or piece I'm struggling with, so I've always found it kinda cool that so many far more accomplished musicians like to do the same.

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
yolland is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bono, nloth, no line on the horizon, piano