Bono With Eyeliner

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
There's just something about a 48 year old man wearing eyeliner that says "THIS IS NOT RIGHT"

Achtung era was fine b/c he was a young man. Now it just looks creepy.

I really like it - brave old man!

But what really sucks is eyeliner under sunglasses like in the father christmas video - that looks stupid. But no shades - wonderful. It's the exact opposite from hiding his eyes to marking his eyes - great! :up:

There has to be NO SHADES. NONE. Average people with the gift of sight do not walk around wearing shades indoors.

But then again, this is Bono. His idea of "normal" and ours differ greatly. Talk about pushing the envelope...

First point: he wears shades all the time mainly because of eye sensitivity. It's not just for grins and giggles.

Second point: You do speak the truth there. :wink:

I don't buy this eye sensutivity stuff. I think he is trying to create a image icon of some sort. Like Lennon or Elvis. Like as if someone just scratches a face with a shade everybody will recognize as Bono. I mean it.

I think that U2DMfan looks best with smudgy eyeliner, the morning after.

I have to admit, I am damn sexy in the morning.

Most say I look best with smudgy lipstick.

susanvq3.jpg

He looks like an idiot.

Don't you know that it is blasphemous to badmouth Bono in this forum??? It's the equivalent of talking shit about god in church!

Seriously, it doesn't really bother me all that much. It's not like only emo bands have worn eyeliner. Brandon Flowers, Michael Stipe, Robert Smith and I'm sure there are other examples.. and he himself has worn it during Achtung. Granted, he is older now but I don't think he looked that bad in that promo photo. In fact they're all looking great! Also, like others have said if this means goodbye to the shades, then I'm all for it! Of course bottomline for me is that none of this matters. The music has to be good.

Personally, I think this guy-liner stint is due to Bono hanging out with BJ Armstrong from Green Day while they were making The Saints Are Coming.

8730695-8730697-large.jpg

The bowler hat and umbrella are definitely a Clockwork Orange reference, and probably something U2 should stay away from, given that other bands went that route recently (Gnarles Barkley for one).

I don't hate the look for Bono, but I'm not yet a huge fan. It would take a character change, as a lot of posters suggested, and some different attire to really pull it off.

My take on his shades has always been the following:

1) Yes, his eyes are sensitive, but mainly they get red and inflamed from drinking red wine and probably smoking. The glasses mask the redness and puffiness along with dimming the light.

2) He's getting older, and had stretched himself pretty thin in the last few yesra. Those shades do a good job of hiding the bags under his eyes and help him look a little younger.

3) They're iconic, they're kinda cool, and it helped him establish an image. He let the pope wear them, and it was a huge photo-op.

The eye-liner might help with part of 1) and certainly a lot of 2), but he'll have difficulty 'owning' the look if he's ditching 3).

Hmm. In the I Believe in Father Christmas video, I noticed he was in a sort of a suit, jacket and pants, and he had his hands in his pockets while he was singing. Casual, but he looked like he meant business. He once said he can't sing with his hands in his pockets like Frank Sinatra did because he has to put more into it, and always loses himself in the moment. I kind of liked the suit in the video, it was stately.

Someone needs to tell him he looks fine without shades or makeup (even if a little like Robin Williams). I swear, there's a bit near the end of WTSHNN on ZooTV Sydney where Bono smiles just like him. That gooey little elf look.

I'm all for the guyliner. Who knows if it'll make its way to concerts, but it's certainly striking for photoshoots.

To me, the long hair from HTDAAB was more of an effort to be young than the guyliner is. The latter is more of a way to get a "WTF! I didn't expect that!" response from the viewer. I like that he's going for that---it certainly piques my interest!

yeah, what shaun said.

anyway it's okay for him to do that because hes perfectly straight.

I've mostly lurked on the site since late '99, but this is the best I've seen from the boys since before that time................. :D

i think its pretty cool. it reminds me of macphisto and mirrorball man. unfortunately i wasnt able to see them back then. but now that i can i'd like to see them do something weird and crazy again. so hopefully this is bono testing that kind of stuff out again

i totally love the big black sunglasses he wears for a bit in the video!! you can just catch a glimpse of an older version of the fly...

if he ditched those stupid pathetic looking pink with gold sunglasses that he always seems to be wearing these days and stuck with the big black ones i'd be over the moon!

if he has to wear to wear sunglasses for the rest of his life at least stick with proper ones that actually look cool like he used to!

oh and for the record i am into the eyeliner but maybe he should wear slightly less...

Back
Top Bottom