Bono to appear on Howard Stern

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So could anyone else imagine Bono & Edge cringing at the end when Stern said "Hear U2 on SiriusXM's Classic Rewind, Channel 25."

Totally.

I also thought they might have cringed when Robin said other acts feel like they need to have a gimmicky release strategy for their album.

Redhill please help

That link now requires registration.

The performances can be heard here and are embedded throughout the page:
https://www.howardstern.com/show/20...and-mccartney-and-only-fight-theyve-ever-had/

The remainder of the interview, as I believe has already been posted, is here:
https://soundcloud.com/super-yo/bono-the-edge-at-the-howard-stern-show

As for getting it complete from one audio source, I can't find it at this point and didn't capture it.

Hope this helps!

That link now requires registration.

The performances can be heard here and are embedded throughout the page:
https://www.howardstern.com/show/20...and-mccartney-and-only-fight-theyve-ever-had/

The remainder of the interview, as I believe has already been posted, is here:
https://soundcloud.com/super-yo/bono-the-edge-at-the-howard-stern-show

As for getting it complete from one audio source, I can't find it at this point and didn't capture it.

Hope this helps!
Okay thanks for all your help :)

I really enjoyed the interview, however I thought Howard was too restrained and in 'fan mode'. He could have done some gentle ribbing on them for a whole lot of things but for whatever reason (gentleman's agreement? written contract?) he decided to play nice. Almost too nice TBH.

That's what Stern does -- he's not a dick during interviews to famous people, but he does get stuff out of them because the interview goes on longer. He's not going to be Piers Morgan and just say "So why do you guys suck for the last 20 years?" Is that what you want?

That's what Stern does -- he's not a dick during interviews to famous people, but he does get stuff out of them because the interview goes on longer. He's not going to be Piers Morgan and just say "So why do you guys suck for the last 20 years?" Is that what you want?

Oh come on dude. Some good natured ribbing is what I expected. That's based on having listened to Stern going back to his WNBC days.

It was a missed opportunity.

I know, dude! I'm saying current stern gets more A list types and like any talk show he's super nice to them. Stern shines when he's interviewing the wack pack or d listers... his bread and butter during the 80s and 90s. Including Trump when he was just a crazy rich New Yorker before he went really crazy!

I'm saying it depends on the guest how far he'll even go. The best interviews are the ones with say Amy Fisher were she got so angry she walked out. Now that's good radio!

Hit em with the Iggy!

This was in my opinion a great interview, only exception wish Bono would’ve gotten off the ‘can’t stand the sound of my voice’ kick. That was making me cringe cus I feel he was kinda playing it up to the haters & it came across more about his singing & less the bands sound & evolution. Much would’ve rather heard about that & less the self deprecation. Still really enjoyed the interview, wasn’t the typical canned stuff.

This was in my opinion a great interview, only exception wish Bono would’ve gotten off the ‘can’t stand the sound of my voice’ kick. That was making me cringe cus I feel he was kinda playing it up to the haters & it came across more about his singing & less the bands sound & evolution. Much would’ve rather heard about that & less the self deprecation. Still really enjoyed the interview, wasn’t the typical canned stuff.

I don't even understand his criticism of his singing back in the 80s. He sounded great on the Joshua Tree. His brooding vocals on WOWY were brilliant.

I don't even understand his criticism of his singing back in the 80s. He sounded great on the Joshua Tree. His brooding vocals on WOWY were brilliant.

I think it's his way of saying that he's a better singer overall now. Kind of like the humblebrag concept. He's disguising the self-aggrandizement by presenting it as self-deprecation.

That's my take anyway...

Mellencamp said the same thing about smoking cigarettes and actually says that he likes his voice better these days (which is madness).

Don't make me post a recent video of Rain on the Scarecrow!

Put another way, it *could* also be some degree of delusion presented as something other.

I'm not saying that he hasn't improved some aspects of singing (because he has), but the idea (if that's what he's getting at) that he's a better singer overall right now is highly debatable. More interpretive I can see him on but...that's not the point of this thread (and I realize his singing in comparison to bygone eras is an entirely different conversation.)

Last edited:
Bono does sound strained a lot in the 80s. Maybe not so much on record, but think of all the times we've talked about his "Kermit voice." Kermit voice = strained way of singing.

I used to think that when Bono went on about how awful he sounded in the 80's, and how embarrassed he was by his lyrics back then, that he was just being his usually self-deprecating, false modest self.

But after the Stern interview, I'm not so sure, and I think his embarrassed disdain for his lyrics back then at least partially explains his approach to writing today. The Bono of today would probably never deign to write poetry like "true colours fly in blue and black, bruised silken sky and burning flag..." That would be much too impressionistic and nonsensical for the very sensible Bono of today.

It would be too impressionistic and nonsensical for Larry too. "What the f*** are you goin' on about?" lol.

Good observation. Agree that when he cringes about those things it's likely genuine. Can you even imagine something like Elvis Presley and America seeing the light of day today? (Not hating! I love that unusual musical journey ...)

Heard the Stern interview and loved it. HS and B&E mutually charmed each other, such that it all stayed above board.

As for the voice ... I dunno ... Bono said that when he hears the old songs now he hears someone who can't hit the notes. With the implication being that he CAN hit them now, my immediate thought was: "OK, then. Drowning Man, please, this tour, Mr. Note Hitter. Please!! Oh and sing Please, too." :)

This is the MOST interesting interview anyone of the members have done- EVER.

I’ve been waiting for Howard to interview these lads for years, and could never understand why, especially because McCartney has done it several times. Regardless of his interest in the band, Howard’s staff ensures that he not only becomes prepared, but knows several interesting- and not so popular facts and stories that he hears from other celebrities. Although they appeared on it for the purpose of promoting the new album, this interview is as bare bones, honest, and humbling as it gets- and proves a lot of things they usually say about in a not-so-humbling manner.

The Performances: I wasn’t disappointed with ANY songs- in fact, it showed the brutal honesty of how hard these guys work to get it “right” when performing on tour, ESPECIALLY Bono. Bono said he sings like a girl, which I believe, is the reason why he hates his old voice- and likes his new “raspy one”, regardless if it was tuned down.

Lastly, I wasn’t expecting Howard to jab any of these guys, as he’ll have them back in the future and will drill them (as he did McCartney).

Back
Top Bottom