Bono to appear on Howard Stern

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm sure there's times you can be exaggerating a little or a bit self-conscious, but most musicians will listen back on material they recorded and always find things to be nit-picky about.

All musicians will be nit-picky about their recordings, but singers are different. Most people are very self conscious of hearing their recorded voice, because we all sound different to the voice we’ve been hearing all our life. We hear our own voice differently than any other voice, it’s literally in our heads.

All musicians will be nit-picky about their recordings, but singers are different. Most people are very self conscious of hearing their recorded voice, because we all sound different to the voice we’ve been hearing all our life. We hear our own voice differently than any other voice, it’s literally in our heads.

Oh, totally. I'm sure that can be part of it too. Goes against the "i like the sound of my own voice" aspect of things for Bono, but hey, it's just a lyric in the end. :lol:

I'm litening to the interview now but my computer is screwing up a little.
Can some one explain the following quote from Edge:
“We still believe in the album, but we know its under threat.”
What was the context of it and does anyone understand what he meant by saying this?

Edge was just saying that he likes the album format, but the band understands that singles are more favored by listeners today.

I'm litening to the interview now but my computer is screwing up a little.
Can some one explain the following quote from Edge:
“We still believe in the album, but we know its under threat.”
What was the context of it and does anyone understand what he meant by saying this?
Youngs don't care about albums anymore

That is true. But like, the studio version of Pride? That's an untouchable vocal IMO.

Bono's vocals in the '80s were more about passion than technique... You could say that of the whole band's playing, actually.

All true artists (yes I'm being that annoying) hate their art, they don't finish it, they abandon it... so it makes sense for Bono to be some critical of himself -- that's why he keeps on going. They aren't full of shit when they are trying to get better.

But as a fan -- man I love how he sounded in the 80s, 90s, 2000, today... it changes slightly... but nothing captures it as well as the time it was recorded.

Bono sounds different to me in the 80s and I love hearing it. All the songs of the album, even if they are better live for most of them, are perfect because that's why you feel in love with the band. Same reason I like the original trilogy of Star Wars before Lucas went back and fucked with it. It was not his to fuck with anymore.... it's ours.

It's too bad that the format of the Album is dying - I remember getting a new album and reading the liner notes and listening from front to back.

What a great interview! Thanks for uploading it to Soundcloud, Super Yo. :)

"I put the messy in Messianic." Ha ha ha haaaaaaaa.

Last edited:
Also confirmed that his "near death experience" wasn't the bike accident. 95% sure it was cardiac arrest that required him to jolted back to life.

I just listened to the interview, and it was really a good one! I laughed out loud several times. I like these more casual interviews where they don’t get asked the same old questions that we hear all the time. Bono and Edge are really funny guys and I could listen to them talk about random stuff for hours.

That’s true. I recorded a voicemail greeting for the phone at work and discovered that I sound like a ten-year-old child. :huh:

Also confirmed that his "near death experience" wasn't the bike accident. 95% sure it was cardiac arrest that required him to jolted back to life.

I think it was heart related, too. He said in U2 by U2 that he has an irregular heartbeat, and with smoking, partying, and eating cheeseburgers, a heart problem isn’t farfetched.

When I first heard him use that phrase, I thought "That's a little on the nose for it to be a heart issue," but ... that's my assumption based on all the bits he's said. Lifestyle changes, for instance, working too much.

Him saying he didn't have the courage to talk about it doesn't point to one thing in particular for me. He said Robin Q was brave for speaking of her issues, and that was cancer (if I recall correctly). I think it's an Irish thing, they just don't want to hear about him spouting off about anything that might be seen as a "woe is me," whether it's a cold or a serious illness.

Not to say other mental issues didn't pile on top of everything else - I mean, how many surgeries/issues has he had in the past handful of years? It had to be stressful and draining.

Good ol' Bono. Don't go yet, buddy.

Last edited:
Everyone is different. I've mentioned I've had cancer to people but I don't mention it every conversation even if someone else brings up their shit. But I know people who lost a dog who that's all they'll talk about for 20 years. Everyone is different.

It's refreshing for a celebrity to experience something and not change them or make that their issue. So often celebrities are selfish, then something happens to them, then that's their issue. Before they couldn't give a shit -- now that's all they talk about.

And the way life works is Bono will be the last member of U2 standing when he's 99 because nothing every makes sense.

And the way life works is Bono will be the last member of U2 standing when he's 99 because nothing every makes sense.

Not sure I could handle an even more cantankerous Larry Mullen as the sole surviving member of U2. I suspect that we'll have a situation where fans the world over are crying out for a deluxe edition of what will be, in 2047, regarded as U2's ultimate masterpiece Pop. But Mullen overrules the estates of Bono, Edge and Adam (RIP to all) when approached over plans to re release the album screaming 'Get to fuck! It was fucking shite, go listen to some other shite you unbearable cunts' in that no nonsense Irish accent of his.

Two tidbits from after the interview:

Robin said that when posing for the photo, Bono put his head in Howard's lap pretending to be the patient and Howard the psychiatrist.

When asked how he thought the interview went, Gary (Howard's producer) said he told both Howard and Guy Oseary that it was "great for part one." Gary added that he could see them back in like six months since Howard only scratched the surface of U2's career.

Robin said that when posing for the photo, Bono put his head in Howard's lap pretending to be the patient and Howard the psychiatrist.

When asked how he thought the interview went, Gary (Howard's producer) said he told both Howard and Guy Oseary that it was "great for part one." Gary added that he could see them back in like six months since Howard only scratched the surface of U2's career.

For sure, was so refreshing to not hear the same old questions and if they were similar, Howard dig deep. And that acoustic intro to Streets, unbelievable! Could not imagine that song being acoustic since it begs for full electric treatment, but DAMN!! ;)

That sounds great to me! I would love to hear more.

It's refreshing for a celebrity to experience something and not change them or make that their issue. So often celebrities are selfish, then something happens to them, then that's their issue. Before they couldn't give a shit -- now that's all they talk about.

I hadn’t that of it that way. That’s a great point. I remember when Oprah realized she had thyroid problems and then she was suddenly a huge advocate for thyroid health and it was a really big deal. (She did that with everything, though.)

Honestly the music played except streets acoustic wasn't very good. Too early in morning. Not like when they played stuck in a moment on letterman couch. It was their worst performance to me on these shows and it was because it's 8am. The end of Get out of your own way was good. But bono was whispering the rest of the that and Sunday.

Billy Joel had a great interview too with stern but the music side wasn't as good as you wanted it because he kept complaining about his voice and only playing like 25 seconds of a song.

Honestly the music played except streets acoustic wasn't very good. Too early in morning. Not like when they played stuck in a moment on letterman couch. It was their worst performance to me on these shows and it was because it's 8am. The end of Get out of your own way was good. But bono was whispering the rest of the that and Sunday.

Billy Joel had a great interview too with stern but the music side wasn't as good as you wanted it because he kept complaining about his voice and only playing like 25 seconds of a song.

I just wanted to have the complete show , as I like to hear how good or bad things sound and also have a complete recording for my collection.

Back
Top Bottom